Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-09-27, 8:33am
Formerly Bakerman44

Default Explaining Glass to Children

I've been asked to speak to some kids a a local learning center about my glass. How can I explain the process of striking to make it not only interesting, but understandable by youngins'.

I thought this would be easier than it is turning out to be. I thought It'd be neat to bring some glass with me that is unstruck, halfway struck, and way struck to explain how the "crystals" grow inside to produce color and such. I just can't seem to get it in to words though. something like pomegranite and AP are pretty good and show pretty obvious color changes.

Any help would be appreciated it. I have trouble putting it in to words for adults myself, when someone asks me. I basically just say "MAGIC!" and laugh it off and just say there are metals in the glass like silver that will give it a certain color.

justin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-27, 8:47am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I should think that you could spend an hour or two explaining to youngins' the very basics of glass such as the difference between soda lime glass and boro, including their working properties, annealling temperatures and why you can not have 'sharp angles' when you join two pieces of boro, but it's ok when you use soda lime glass. You can show the kids a flower marble and then show them how you made it (show a plain maria, then a maria with lines on it, then a maria half imploded (compressed) so that they can see the flower blooming, etc.) After showing all of this I don't think you will have time to discuss striking colors, i.e. problem solved!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-27, 8:49am

Bring some marbles all kids like to know how marbles are made.

Old 2011-09-27, 9:28am
Formerly Bakerman44

ahh..didn't even think to make some process of the implosion pieces...brilliant. I also plan on making a bunch of tops to play with. need to find a big box for them to stand around and spin them in.

Old 2011-09-27, 10:18am

My kids find it facinating that a material that is as hard and brittle as glass, can be so flexible when you pull it into a thin stringer that you can almost tie it in a knot. Might be fun to share with them.

I guess the striking aspect depends upon the age and education of the kids. That is a pretty difficult topic to explain, shoot I have been trying to figure it out myself for a few years. Might have to draw them some pictures lol
Old 2011-09-27, 11:35am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Learning Center sounds like preteen or younger. Striking and crystal growth is pretty deep for that age. Perhaps you could relate how glass is made from sand. How different fluxes are added to remove the imputities so the glass is clear. How different chemicals are added, such as gold, to make colored glass. Take some shorts of colored glass and explain what chemicals are added to make that color on the rod labels. Maybe find some pics of large crucible furnaces or a marble machine. Take a torch and pics of it running. Use a thin stringer to show how glass can be very flexible and how it can shatter from over stress as it gets thicker (makes nice startling demo). Finish up with showing marbles and tops and explain with drawings or photos " how do you get that flower in there?" Make it fun and lively especially for kids.
PJH

Last edited by cheng076; 2011-09-27 at 11:39am.
Old 2011-09-27, 11:39am

Hi JB!

I would do a "history of glass in 10 minutes" using lots of pictures.

5000 BC - Natural Glass: Obsidian!
cavemen use obsidian to make arrowheads

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian

3500 BC - First Man-Made Glass: Phonecian and Egyptian Glass Beads!
pottery makers discover kilns built in sand forms glass

http://kemetichistoryofafrikabluelot...recreated.html

1500 BC - Learning To Form: Glass Pots!
glassmakers learn to make pots by coating clay forms in molten glass and then removing clay core

http://www.squidoo.com/history-of-gl...gn=framebuster

14 AD - A Breakthrough : Learning to Blow!
Syrian craftsmen use long thin metal tubes to blow glass shapes

(same link as above)

100 AD - The Romans : Glass is big Business!
the Roman empire grows and the glass trade booms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_glass

900 AD - Medieval Glass : Churches get Windows!
stained glass pictures used to tell stories to mostly illiterate populace

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stained...Medieval_glass

1200 AD - Venice Italy : Glassmakers of the World!
Venice becomes heart the glassmaking industry. Craftsmen develop high quality colors and clarity. Venice merchants deliver glass products to places all over the world. Frequent fires caused by glassmaking led the city to move all glass furnaces to the island of Murano. This also made it easier for the city to keep its glass formulas and skills secret.

http://glassonline.com/infoserv/history.html

1900s - Industrial Revolution : Glass for Everyone!
New furnaces and automatic production machines mean glass can be made for everyone. Glass bottles, jars, window panes, jewelry become household items.

(same link)

Today and the Future
Even today glass is constantly evolving! Fiberglass, laminated safety glass, and borosilicate glass are just a few examples. In the art glass world, new colors are being added each year. Its impossible to even imagine a world without glass!

Then I would put marbles and beads in their hands and let them ask all the fun questions like, "how did you get that flower in there!?"
Old 2011-09-27, 12:00pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Combine the great ideas of MK and my own self into a super fun program and take it on the road.... LOL
I know you'll do great. Just have fun with it.
PJH
Old 2011-09-27, 12:30pm

kids always find it amazing that glass was so valuable in ancient times that it was used along with gold silver and precious stones in jewelry.

You could also add the step of faience glass that was in between the pottery and the molten glass stage.

I do think that even young kids can understand the striking process if you simplify it. Maybe explain how when honey is left out it turns to crystals and won't flow anymore (most kids have seen that), and then explain that there are little tiny crystals which are growing inside the hot glass.

How old are the kids?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-09-27, 1:06pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

MK - that was excellent!

Old 2011-09-27, 1:42pm
Borovangelist

Can you use caramelization, like on a creme brulee, as an analogy?

|
|
Old 2011-09-27, 1:55pm
Alaska Boro

Sounds like you will doing an entertainment science lecture about boro glass. And as stated above what is the age of the students? How many will there be. What time of day? How is the room setup? Will you have access to any media equipment. Is there setup time prior to the presentation?

If at a young age, (7 to 8 years) then make it snappy and quick paced. Little on the facts and a lot on the show and tell. Perhaps a 1 to 2 minute video on torching. (edit well to eliminate the long stretches of heating and turning - i.e. they want action not slow motion) Bring in a torch and pass it around. (Perhaps a old used one would work)

Create some impact with your story. Bring in some sand and a few rods that have the ends fire polished. Then some items that you do not mind getting broken as they are passed around. Cut a few rods with your rod cutter and bring in a coffee grinder to make noise as it cuts up glass. (Do not remove the top as glass dust is not nice)

Pass some frit around in a pill container. And the same for coated mandrels, etc. Plus some tools that are used.

Figure 12 to 30 hours to develop the presentation. And be sure to test drive prior to the lecture.
Old 2011-09-27, 3:07pm
Formerly Bakerman44

Wow...everyone, thank you so much for the guidance!!! Well they originally asked me to do a demonstration but I said no but I'll go and talk about the glass. Well I've changed my mind since the format will be super informal and kind of an all day come and go. I'm going to have a table for kids to spin tops on, a display for the parents to view some of my work and I'll do short demonstrations of how I make the tops. Def going to have the stages of some flower implosions ready to go. I think that will certainly be a cool thing to have pre-made. I don't know that I'll demonstrate too much beyond tops though because lack of eye protection in the audience. Keep the work minimal and I may make some beads too with some of my soft glass....

To answer some questions asked, it is at a center designed for kids (and the kid in us) that explains how the world works. It is called Sci-Port Discovery Center. The demonstration will be 4 hours. I think I can consider it an all ages demonstration. I have about a week.5 to get ready for it. I'm looking forward to it.

I will def take some nice pictures and maybe even make a little book with the history of glass if I have time.

Thank you so much everyone!!

Old 2011-09-27, 3:39pm

There is some controversy around "crystal growth theory" so you might just want to skip that entirely. Jessie Kohl did an article for Glassline a few years back that went into this, he majored in glass science at a major university. But you might want to hold up a prism and show how lead in glass splits the spectrum into a rainbow, then show something fumed and explain how silver in or on the glass passes yellow light and bounces blue light back to the eye, and gold in glass passes pink and bounces gold.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-09-28, 6:06am
boro color bender

^ What Jenny said... skip the theories and stick to the facts... crystal growth is not proven... it quite possibly is "magic" after all...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-09-28, 7:21am
senior citizen lampworker

The one thing I have found that kids like the most, the thing that they will talk about the most, is an demonstration of the "worlds longest marble" Start by explaining how glass can take on any shape, and be stretched to great lengths. Make a small marble, 1/2 inch or so, and of clear glass. Show the marble, then put puntys on both ends. Hand one end of the puntys to an assistant (one of the kids) and have them run as far as they can, stretching the marble to a fine hair. Every one will be say "Cool" then go on to explain that fiber optics is the way we talk on the phones now.
Kids will love it.
Mike

A YouTube video I made:
Old 2011-09-30, 9:36am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Break off both ends of the long fiber and hold a small flashlight at one end and let them see the light comming out the other end.
Old 2011-09-30, 10:45pm
Fire and Fluidity

The best thing I have found for spinning tops in is a large, shallow wooden bowl. Easy and save to practice in.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2011-10-01, 3:29am

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...ass/glass.html

This was an interesting diversion into the question 'Is Glass a liquid or a solid' and "does glass flow even in its solid state'.
Old 2011-10-04, 3:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...ass/glass.html

This was an interesting diversion into the question 'Is Glass a liquid or a solid' and "does glass flow even in its solid state'.

I found this very interesting. I will have to add some of this new information to my glass explanation at the shows I do. Thanks!

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2011-10-04, 3:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
There is some controversy around "crystal growth theory" so you might just want to skip that entirely. Jessie Kohl did an article for Glassline a few years back that went into this, he majored in glass science at a major university. But you might want to hold up a prism and show how lead in glass splits the spectrum into a rainbow, then show something fumed and explain how silver in or on the glass passes yellow light and bounces blue light back to the eye, and gold in glass passes pink and bounces gold.
Now, you have me curious. What is the new theory about how the silver loaded glasses strike? Thanks!

Old 2011-10-07, 3:36pm

I'd need to go read the article again. I had understood his article to be consistent with my understanding from the Physics of Light and Color in college; that it was not the size of the crystal that is changing, that it's the orientation of the crystal to the reflected or transmitted light that changes the appearance of the color.....but it's been a while so please don't quote me.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid

Last edited by Firebrand Beads; 2011-10-07 at 3:38pm.