Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-17, 3:47pm

I really love the DeVardi Indian Marble glasses: Butterscotch and Gray. Very similar in color after working, though. They like to be worked cool, and shaped with tools. Working them hot can even out the color, but shaping the hot glass with a cool tool gives nice variations. I am preparing to buy more of this glass soon.

I bought a lb of the shorts to see if other colors fired me up. Unfortunately they aren't labeled, but one that looks semi-opaque and is about the color of musk melon, handles very nicely. The one that is semi-opaque and gold/yellow bubbles and burns easily.

One note: I pulled some hair think stringers of intense black to see how it handles on the Indian Marbled glass, and oddly, I couldn't get any webbing at all. Mapplied dots or whatever stay very crisp, even on the butterscotch and the gray. Will post pics soon. no compatibility issue so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2010-10-17, 4:42pm
StudioMarcy

Oh, I'm always looking for intense black that doesn't web. Thanks for the heads up!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-10-17, 6:13pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightforge View Post
Hi Kristina... Love the vessel beads.. You always do such wonderful work..
Thanks for expanding on the glass.. I did answer some of Cliff's questions in a PM to him too..
I did some test beads with the NCN-Semi-Opaque Light Lime Green and the NCN - Semi-Opaque Cranberry, here is a pic of the beads.. The leaf has vanes made with the masher with the teeth, they just don't show up very well..
That green is gorgeous! I haven't ordered from Devardi (or anyone else) lately, what does the NCN stand for?

Old 2010-10-17, 6:54pm

Don't know what the NCN stands for.

Has anyone had luck with NCN - Opaque Dark Caramel as a base color for a bead? The rods are very shocky and it boils VERY easily. Every bead I've made with it as base has broken post-annealing. Top colors have been random mixes of Effetre and/or Devardi. Doesn't seem to matter the mix.
Old 2010-10-17, 6:59pm

As far as I know the intense black from Devardi does not web at all no matter how hot you get it (i tried lol).

I started experimenting a little bit with encasing the opaque white ( I tried encasing the semi opaque but it cracked every single time) since some of the dark transparent are very dark, I wanted to see if I could bring out some of the color by encasing the white. So far, the opaque white seems to be fine with encasing. Here is a set of beads made with a deep blue. I will have to see if I can figure out which blue I used, its either cobalt or ocean blue I believe. And as you can see, it is fine when encased in the clear also.

And this is the jade green with white and mango flowers. The jade green is not a totally solid color, it has a wee bit of streakiness and color difference even in one bead but I really like it.

Old 2010-10-17, 7:56pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoX9 View Post
Don't know what the NCN stands for.

Has anyone had luck with NCN - Opaque Dark Caramel as a base color for a bead? The rods are very shocky and it boils VERY easily. Every bead I've made with it as base has broken post-annealing. Top colors have been random mixes of Effetre and/or Devardi. Doesn't seem to matter the mix.
NCN stands for No Chart Number, meaning it's not a 'standard' color that's been given a #.

I tried the OP Dk. Caramel and got nothing usable out of it. It devits the minute I try reheating it and wouldn't go shiny again no matter what flame I tried. I had one thin band on one spacer bead stay shiny 'caramel' color... the rest, poop. If you want the look of an etched cement-colored bead without actually etching, this is the glass for you. I smeared some SIS on one of them but didn't try any other surface stuff since the Dk. Caramel wasn't playing nicely even by itself.

Old 2010-10-17, 8:04pm
MonaRAEbeads.com

Location: I live in the Sierras, between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
I tried the OP Dk. Caramel and got nothing usable out of it. It devits the minute I try reheating it and wouldn't go shiny again no matter what flame I tried...If you want the look of an etched cement-colored bead without actually etching, this is the glass for you.
I made a bead out of a lighter colored glass and the devit made it super cool. I used masked dots of green over it. The green did not devit but the caramel I boiled so hard that it looked like ancient porcelain.

to get 15% off my beads

Old 2010-10-17, 8:27pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarae View Post
I made a bead out of a lighter colored glass and the devit made it super cool. I used masked dots of green over it. The green did not devit but the caramel I boiled so hard that it looked like ancient porcelain.
It's great if you can get the look to work for you. I'd love to see a pic of the bead you made.

Old 2010-10-18, 4:51am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightforge View Post
Hi Kristina... Love the vessel beads.. You always do such wonderful work..
Thanks for expanding on the glass.. I did answer some of Cliff's questions in a PM to him too..
I did some test beads with the NCN-Semi-Opaque Light Lime Green and the NCN - Semi-Opaque Cranberry, here is a pic of the beads.. The leaf has vanes made with the masher with the teeth, they just don't show up very well..
Gosh, strong pretty colors and neat color contrast too!

Sonja, thank you for the info on the glass and the pics. I have so little time at the torch that I like hearing everyone's trials and successes.

We will all have to post anything we make for gifts for Christmas!
Old 2010-10-18, 7:59am

"Ancient porcelain" - I like that! Yes, that is basically where I ended up with the Dk Caramel as a decoration, boiled beyond bubbly to a paler color with a rough surface feel. I think I'm going to put this one on the "unusable" list.
Old 2010-10-18, 8:14am

I am, of course, going to have to try out the dark caramel when i get home from work tonight lol. I gave the sop light lime green a go the other day and quite liked it. I will be doing more testing on the encasing as soon as I get chance.

Old 2010-10-18, 5:13pm

Location: Indian River County, Florida originally from Connecticut
Default Houkje thank you and all who have added to this Great thread.

Houkje,

Thanks for the great pictures and good timing.
I was just finishing up this great thread on Devardi Glass.

Well I have learned a lot about using this glass.

I surely will make an order in the future.
I have a lot of pounds of glass sitting on the shelve to be used at this time.
I also do Lapidary work and have a ton of great cutting rock and slabs.

Like I mentioned to one great vendor in here. I put myself on strike for being a glass addict buying. Lets see how long I can go without a fix of glass LOL. It should be a real hoot its hard to say don't push that button.

I appreciate all the great artist that have added to this thread.

Someday I will add my beads and pendants with Devardi Glass!
Thanks,
Cliff
Old 2010-10-18, 7:44pm
Live and Let Live

For those hoping to see some test beads of some of the newest colors (and a couple of oldies too), here are some pics and observations. Most of the test beads are one plain and one with SIS on top. The transparents also have a test bead with CIM Peace as a core.

OP Coffee and Cream - doesn't like reheating - devits/boils

OP Red (47) - lovely red - doesn't go brown like many reds can

OP Dark Purple (136) - lighter than rod after melting. some striations.

OP Dark Caramel - devits/boils galore, especially when reheated.

OP Dark Burgundy - melted nicely but so dark it looks black

SOP Dark Baby Blue (138 ) - LEFT 2 beads - very pretty, opaque, similar to Pajama Blue Vetrofond
SOP Soft Green Blue (139) - RIGHT 2 beads - very pretty - went opaque too - just a smidge softer and greener in color than 138

SOP Light Lime Green - remains translucent if not reheated, went opaque when pressed. Yum!

SOP Misty Golden Gray (161) - RIGHT bead - frit on a stick, semi-translucent white after melting. SIS spreads like crazy. (Bead on the left in this pic is OP Dark Ivory. Devits like other opaque neutrals.)

SOP Violet - LEFT 2 beads - remained translucent when blown into shards, went opaque in spacer beads, more pinkinsh than the OP-136 Dk Purple. Reactive with SIS.
SOP Purple (134) - RIGHT 2 beads - turned a very light lavender, opaque, after melting. quite pretty

SOP Light Misty Green - LEFT 2 beads - pretty soft green. Can go opaque or stay partly translucent. Similar shade as Dirty Martini (CIM), pictured in RIGHT 2 beads, but the Devardi is more minty green.

SOP Fruit Punch - Should have named this one Creamsicle! Nothing like the color of the rod when worked and annealed. (See the unheated rod color to the right in the picture?) Creamy pale orange after working.

TR X-Lt Purple - Quite gray-purple and dark on its own. Pictured over white in middle bead. Full of small bubbles like seeded glass.

TR Beer Bottle Brown (75) - very true to the name! Some small bubbles but not bad. The SIS spreads more on this color.

TR Dark Burnt Orange (17) - very true to rod color. few bubbles

That's all I got! I'd love to see some more results from the newer colors if you have played with them.

Old 2010-10-18, 8:06pm

OMG LISA !!! Thank you so much for all the hard work on the testing. Reach around and give yourself a big pat on the back from me I'm going to be putting an order in, and after seeing some of your results, I'll add to the list. Thanks also for testing with SIS, as I love the stuff and it's always fun to see how strongly the glass reacts....again, Thank You !!!
Old 2010-10-18, 8:31pm
Live and Let Live

You're welcome, Holly. Back patting done. Thx!

Old 2010-10-19, 5:57am

Lisa great testing! Thanks for your hard work! I try testing in bits and pieces and always seem to get side tracked. I will be printing your testing out for my notebook.
Old 2010-10-19, 6:45pm

Well I did some pink lentil tiger beads, I used dark transparent rose over white and black. I am sorry to say all six beads have incompatibility cracks. All Devardi glass, I am so disappointed, I love encasing and the rose is gorgeous over white. I will post pics when I get a chance, I am working extra this week. The dk violet I did over white didn't crack this time, it did the last time I tried it. This is over the opaque white and intense black, not the sop white. I will continue testing the transparents over the white to see what works and what doesn't. But I am really heart broken over the pink, this is the third time I have tried it and every bead has cracked.

Mind you, the dark transparent rose is an awesome color all by itself and etched its totally stunning so I will still be using it I just will have to resign myself to not encasing it.

Old 2010-10-19, 6:46pm

hmm you know i Just thought of something I might give it one more try. I may do a tiny base bead in the rose, encase that in white then encase in the rose and see if that doesn't equal out the pressure in the bead.

Old 2010-10-20, 7:24am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Gosh Lisa, what a wonderful reference on these colors! Thank you so much for the work and the pics!
Old 2010-10-21, 10:34am

I got the dark rose over white to work when I encased in clear Effetre. I tried Devardi and Vetro to no luck. When I switched I have had no problem. Which is great since I love that rose color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Well I did some pink lentil tiger beads, I used dark transparent rose over white and black. I am sorry to say all six beads have incompatibility cracks. All Devardi glass, I am so disappointed, I love encasing and the rose is gorgeous over white.
Old 2010-10-22, 3:23am

Bethany do you mean you encased white with dark rose then encased again in Effetre? I am encasing the entire bead in the dk rose. I can encase it twice if I have to if it will work.

Old 2010-10-22, 5:27am

I have done both. I love the look of encased beads! But I used the Effetre white and clear with the Devardi rose. I had trouble when I only used it with itself. However-I did not have any trouble when I used some of the first clear I got from them. Just after that first shipment. I also figured out it does need a good heat bath before putting them in the kiln.
Old 2010-10-22, 6:21am

hmm I will give that a try also then. I have some time to play today so I will make some more test beads. But I think I will only make one of each and not a whole set this time lol!

Old 2010-10-22, 6:30am

I have made that mistake more than once! Looks so good you keep making more and then cry on the kiln when you take them out in the morning! Good luck!
Old 2010-10-24, 9:53am
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Default WHAT NOT TO DO with a ROD WARMER

Lisa ... Wonderful test beads, thank you...

I have a WHAT NOT TO DO with the ROD WARMER....
I wrap my rod warmer in a fiber blanket to help cool down some of the larger beads a bit slower.. And it works very well (most times).. The other day I did like I always do, make my beads put them in the warmer as I make them.. When I am done for the day, I rewrap the warmer in the blanket and turn off the warmer, works like a charm.. For some reason I didn't unwrap the warmer when I turned it on.. I sat down to make a few beads...As I'm sitting there at the torch I can smell something burning, looked around couldn't see anything so I just thought that a piece of hot glass must have found a dust bunny.. No harm done... I finish making my bead, go to put the bead in the rod warmer and I see the rod warmer is glowing bright orange like a jack o lantern sitting under a pile of snow... (The glow is a great effect, end result not so good..) I unplug the warmer, take the fiber blanket off the warmer, (did you know that if you get a fiber blanket hot enough that it becomes crunchy and will hold the shape of the warmer???) Now if you look at the picture I don't think I need to say more, other than I have a new warmer on order and DO NOT DO THIS...
My DH thought this was very funny and I still do not see any humor in it at all.. In fact I was a bit scared... By the way the silver puddle you see in front of the warmer is (was) an aluminum ridged marver (melting point 933.57 F (660.32 C)), and the small puddle is the case of the warmer...
Just thought I should post this as a safety first, and pay close attention to what you (me) are doing..
Attached Images

Big Hugs, We all need them...
Old 2010-10-24, 12:13pm
Live and Let Live

OMG... Houkje!! I'm so glad this did not end more badly for you! How scary!!!

Old 2010-10-24, 4:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
OMG... Houkje!! I'm so glad this did not end more badly for you! How scary!!!
Thank you Lisa.. I know that I won't be repeating it any time soon...

Old 2010-10-24, 4:42pm

Wow! I am glad that no one got hurt!
Old 2010-10-24, 4:48pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
Wow! I am glad that no one got hurt!
Thank you Bethany... The only things that got hurt a bit are my pride, DH wooden work bench (3 scorch marks), Oh yes and the rod warmer...

Old 2010-10-24, 5:14pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you for sharing this Houkje. The pic sure says it all!
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi