Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-03, 12:33pm

Default Quiet torch?

Due to medical issues I'm in need of a torch that doesn't make a lot of noise. I'm currently using a HH which is one of the noisiest. If I'm going to invest in a new torch I want to make sure that I'm getting one that I can use. Quiet is the key for me.

Thanks in advance.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2011-02-03, 12:44pm

As a rule I find that most Prop/Oxy torches make about 1/10 the noise of a hothead. Try a Cricket or something that size.

Robert
Old 2011-02-03, 12:47pm
Glass my new Obsession

My cricket is darn near silent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-02-03, 12:53pm
Somewhat out there!

My cricket is quiet but the vent fan is kinda noisy

Julianne
Old 2011-02-03, 1:20pm
Ishum Designs

I run a Bobcat, two oxy cons and a vent fan (200 cfm) . . . all of that at once is still WAY more quiet than my HH!

Bill
Ishum Designs
Oakland, CA

GTT Bobcat with a pair of 5 lpm Air Sep Elites.
Old 2011-02-03, 1:46pm

Thanks all !!! I really appreciate the input.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2011-02-03, 2:03pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I run a mini-CC on tanked oxy and it's very quiet, esp. compared to a hot head. I'm like Julianne though, I have a noisy squirrel cage vent fan.

Old 2011-02-03, 2:04pm
Lauscha Lady

Nortel Minor - one sweet torch

Old 2011-02-03, 2:08pm
Dichro Addict

The Cricket is a LOT more quiet than a Minor. I love my Minor, but the Cricket is almost silent.

Old 2011-02-03, 2:08pm
The Venerable Bead

love my betta. quiet as can be

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2011-02-03, 2:34pm

Yup my cricket is quiet enough that I can put my cell on speaker phone on my bench and talk while I am torching.

Old 2011-02-03, 8:33pm

Thank you everyone. Looks like the Cricket is the most popular and I was wondering if the Minor would be mentioned. I've looked at those but didn't know about the noise.

Thank you again.

Old 2011-02-03, 8:39pm
Redbearmountain

Hello, I have two torches both nortel a minor and a mega minor both are way quiet. I can not complain. My concentrator is the most noisey. But all in all I have a quiet set-up. Niya

Old 2011-02-04, 4:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post
I run a mini-CC on tanked oxy and it's very quiet, esp. compared to a hot head. I'm like Julianne though, I have a noisy squirrel cage vent fan.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a squirrel cage fan. We've been shut down for about 2 weeks installing it b/c our other fan went kaput. It is quite noisy, but we wired a dimmer switch to it to regulate the speed and noise. It works well. It's good to be back up and running. I would post photos, but my phone takes them too big.

Old 2011-02-04, 12:22pm

I have a Betta and a Scorpion on which the inner torch is a Cricket, Both are much more quiet than the Hothead but the Betta is by far the most silent torch I have ever heard!

Old 2011-02-04, 1:05pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasskat2010 View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a squirrel cage fan. We've been shut down for about 2 weeks installing it b/c our other fan went kaput. It is quite noisy, but we wired a dimmer switch to it to regulate the speed and noise. It works well. It's good to be back up and running. I would post photos, but my phone takes them too big.
I love my squirrel cage! It has a switch set up for low and high but I always run it on high. I bought it over two years ago on ebay from a guy that rebuilds them for around $100 including shipping. When it got here it had a few screw holes here and there from a previous installation but they were easy to patch and fix. It vents like a champ and I've never had any problems with it.

Old 2011-02-04, 2:00pm

I think they are all quiet compared to a HH. Its the ventilation and oxy supply that may make some noise. I have a cricket, a minor and a Betta and can't tell the difference in noise between any of them.

Kym
Old 2011-02-04, 7:36pm

Again, I thank you. I love the members of this forum. I have a source for an oxy con where I can go and listen to them before purchasing so I guess my next step is to work on the ventilation. Right now it's a fan in the window. I know..... (I just held out my right hand and slapped it with my left)

Any suggestions on a quiet vent system? I have my studio in my walkout basement and the room has two standard sized windows.

I hate to switch questions but if I can't make my flameworking quieter I will have to give it up. I LOVE flameworking. I need to try everything I can.

Thanks again.