Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-28, 2:08pm

Default Clio turns brown - ick

How do you prevent Clio from turning brown? I wanted to make a bead with a transparent orange core. I used clear between the Clio and the orange. But the Clio turns an ugly brown and it seems no matter what I do, it won't go away. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
-Patti

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-11-28, 2:47pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Did you try to heat the Clio to death? I mean, like really hot? I use white underneath my orange and I heat my bead so hot that I can see my mandrel under the white.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-11-28, 2:55pm

Ok I'll try this. And I think white under the orange will help, too, great idea! But yeah, I don't like the brown I can see floating around the clear. Will try it, thanks Anouk!

Old 2011-11-29, 11:44am
Triumphantly Knit!

thank you thank you thank you for asking this. I can never figure out why sometimes it's very nice and sometimes it's very weird.

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-11-30, 5:03am

Glad I could help, Rowyn! =)

Old 2011-11-30, 5:34am

I think you have to be really careful with the clear between the orange and the clio. If any orange at all creeps through then it makes streaks. Not pretty.

For Val Cox Frit in the UK
For silver For my beads
Old 2011-11-30, 6:18pm

Oh definitely! This wasn't the case. It was just the cloud of transparent brown that formed. I know it's a striking (as well as reducing) color, so I just needed to strike it more I guess.

Old 2011-11-30, 7:07pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Clio does start going brown at the beginning of the strike to a darker burgundy/pink. Are you sure it's not the strike you're seeing?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-11-30, 7:09pm
Storm Queen

Try layering it directly over struck Kalypso and forget about the orange. That's just too much of a pita for me.

Old 2011-12-01, 1:57am

Yeah Squid....but it looks like I didn't get far enough to make it pink....right? It just stayed brown, Even though I heated it to drooping. I'm going to try again...I have no problem at all when I put silver foil under Clio so I kinda don't get it...

Anyway, I will try that, Amy. Don't reduce the Kalypso?

Old 2011-12-02, 7:04pm
Storm Queen

Patti, I told you in my PM that I just struck the Kalypso but I think it reduced a bit on it's own while I was keeping it warm and melting my gather of Clio.

Old 2011-12-03, 1:11am

Ok thanks, Amy!