No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-05, 2:47pm

Unhappy fine black and white stringer problems

Hi all,
I am trying to learn to make fine clean lines with black stringer and white stringer, mostly on transparent glass. I have been using efftre regular black and 204 white. I can apply the stringer (thanks to all of the wonderful helpful people here) but when I try to slowly melt it flat it spreads and looks icky. Am I using the wrong black? Is there a problem with using the stringer on transparent or am I just stringer impaired? Does anyone have any suggestions?
AGGHHH! (Thanks in advance!)
Old 2011-12-05, 3:22pm

You need to use very thin, uniform stringers. White spreads like crazy. All of the volume of your raised stringer has to have a place to go as you melt it flat. Your end result will be as wide as your stringer is "tall" before it is melted flat. JC Herrell has some good tutorials. She uses enamels to stiffen her stringers.
Old 2011-12-05, 4:10pm
Unmedicated since '62

use intense black and make an encased stringer (encase it in clear), same with the white, its pretty much the only way you can do fine stringer with white, its just too soft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-12-05, 4:14pm
Loving learning

I've heard that encasing before pulling the stringer can help with that, but have never tried it yet.

Well I see Deb posted before I got back from draining the spaghetti, LOL, but good to know I heard right.
Old 2011-12-05, 4:31pm
formerly Marella

Yes, encasing stringers that are soft, like white, opal yellow, and ivory, can really help.

The other thing that helps when a base bead is made of one of these "softer" glasses is to lay down a base of a stiffer transparent (clear or very pale blue), then encase it in your "soft" colour. That way the base bead doesn't get all "drippy" and want to lose it's shape when you're working on it.

~
~
~
Old 2011-12-05, 8:24pm

Thank you so much Kathy, Deb, Eileen and Gillian! All great tips! I just tried the encasing with regular black and it worked, but wasn't dark enough. I will try the intense black tomorrow as suggested!
Is the enamel incorporated into the glass stringer somehow? I have read JC's three tutorials that are online (and they are excellent), but I don't remember seeing the enamel trick. I will look again. Age is turning my brain to mush!
Hey Gillian! We are neighbours! I live in Ancaster and get my glass from your town! Good to know another lampworker in my neck of the woods!
Old 2011-12-05, 11:18pm
Unmedicated since '62

you cant pull thin stringer from regular black because its really just dark purple, (or blue if its CiM) you need to use intense black

Old 2011-12-06, 3:07am
Gimme that silver glass!

Deb, use Reichenbach deep black, it's a very deep black that doesn't bleed at all . I use it all the time for my fine stringerwork.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-12-06, 7:21am

Smile

I second Anouk's suggestion. I struggled with this for years and finally bought some Reichenbach a month ago. It made all the difference It stays dense black and does not bleed. Plus it's really stiff, which helps in the application. Laura

Old 2011-12-06, 7:32am

I agree about Reichenbach Deep Black. It's awesome! Casing in clear really does help too. Once you melt in the stringers the clear just disappears and people will think you're a genius!

Old 2011-12-06, 7:34am

To enamel a stringer, apply it to the blob you are about to pull down into stringer, melt it in, pull stringer. It will be more brittle.
Old 2011-12-06, 10:08am

Brilliant! You guys are SO awesome! I have just contacted my supplier in London to see if they can order some Riechenbach for me to try as well. Fingers crossed!
Old 2011-12-06, 10:08am

Oh.....THANK YOU THANK YOU! I don't know what I would do without this generous community!
Old 2011-12-06, 1:16pm

In the old days, before there was intense black, we'd use a dark dark blue opaque for the core of a black stringer, so it still looked black inside the dots after being melted in. You might also try using black and white filigrana for your stringers, as they are already encased and they are already a very saturated color. They give the appearance of a finer line than the stringer they were made with because of the clear coating.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-12-06, 2:59pm

More wonderful ideas! Thank you Jenny!
I tried to order Reichenbach today but my supplier is out and won't have any for some time . So..... I appreciate all of the other suggestions as well while I wait!
Old 2011-12-06, 3:05pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I need to get that Reichenbach Deep Black too... been wanting for a while to practise fine stringers, and I need to walk the talk soon! Just feels so wastefull to buy just one color... usually that isnt a problem, I always find other stuff to buy, but the budget is not very flexible this time of the year.
Old 2011-12-06, 3:14pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
Deb, use Reichenbach deep black, it's a very deep black that doesn't bleed at all . I use it all the time for my fine stringerwork.
yes, actually i have three precious rods of RDB - i use is very carefully its beautiful

Old 2011-12-06, 3:16pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdebicki View Post
More wonderful ideas! Thank you Jenny!
I tried to order Reichenbach today but my supplier is out and won't have any for some time . So..... I appreciate all of the other suggestions as well while I wait!
for some reason its almost impossible to get outside of the US - i've got three rods only because one of the beadmakers here managed to score some for (or from, i'm not sure) Anastasia when she was here

Old 2011-12-06, 4:18pm

Hmmmm.....hey Pia.....what say you and I make a run to Deb's place in Texas???? We could maybe hitch a ride with Santa....she has three rods....we could be really nice and leave her one??? LOL.....I really am just kidding but VERY envious Deb! Mind you, if I were to score a few rods I would no longer have an excuse for my lousy stringer outcome, would I??? There is always another way to frame the issue!
Old 2011-12-06, 4:50pm
Unmedicated since '62

i'm not in Texas, i'm in Australia - but you can make a run to here if you really want to

Old 2011-12-06, 4:52pm

Whoa!!! Even better! That is somewhere I have ALWAYS wanted to go! I sounds like it might be worth it for that glass too!!
Old 2011-12-07, 7:09am

Olympic Color has the R104 dense black. Also starring in 104, Strawberry, Opal Orange, Iris Orange, Magic, Multicolor... They have a lot of awesome colors. I would think they would ship to AU and CA.
Old 2011-12-08, 2:47pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Australia? I thought you were in the UK?

Why did I think you were in the UK?

So confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
i'm not in Texas, i'm in Australia - but you can make a run to here if you really want to

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-12-08, 2:55pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Yeah, Im ready to go to Australia, like right now! Unfortunatelly I dont have any of that black... but if someone gets me the tickets, I reckon I could find some of that glass in my hands to take there... even few pounds! Australia has been on my list of places to go to too!!!
Old 2011-12-08, 2:59pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
Australia? I thought you were in the UK?

Why did I think you were in the UK?

So confused.
cos i type with a British accent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
Yeah, Im ready to go to Australia, like right now! Unfortunatelly I dont have any of that black... but if someone gets me the tickets, I reckon I could find some of that glass in my hands to take there... even few pounds! Australia has been on my list of places to go to too!!!
c'mon down, we have plenty of room, its warm and my place is ten min from some of the best beaches in the country

Old 2011-12-08, 3:16pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
cos i type with a British accent?
Stop it! I laughed so loud my boss came in to ask if I was OK.

(Well, at least Australia's considerably closer to me than the UK.)

~
~

#M-191

Last edited by Lyssa; 2011-12-08 at 3:20pm.
Old 2011-12-08, 3:16pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Oh man Ded, you make work out of resisting! If I ever get a chance to travel there, I will hold you down for that invitation! And I will definitely bring you bunch of the dense black!
Old 2011-12-08, 5:07pm
Glass-aholic

Ditto on the encasing OR taking the easy route and pulling down a rod of filigrina into stringers if you have any laying around. I do this when I write on beads.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-12-08, 8:33pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
Stop it! I laughed so loud my boss came in to ask if I was OK.

(Well, at least Australia's considerably closer to me than the UK.)
jetstar do really cheap flights from Hawaii - sometimes like $600 return

Old 2011-12-08, 9:21pm
Hat or Cake?

Good luck with your stringer work!

We're neighbours too! I'm in Oakville and there are several of us here. There is a new lampwork studio that just opened in Burlington and there's talk that we might form a local lampworking group.

Fine work with stringer still eludes me regularly. One of my problems is that when I do it well, I'm not sure what I did differently. How is that fair?
Beth