Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-05-26, 2:35pm
tweetysweetie

Default Help with tool identification, please

Here is a picture of ust one tool that hubby picked up at an estate sale, although he doesn't do flamework, he recognizehem as needing a home..with me!! . They are extremely well made, high quality graphite and sturdy handles,....like the CGbead rollers tools only without the flame design on the handle. Some of them have never been used, a few have dual sided capability (i.e. assorted sizes each size) Am including a close up pic of the makers mark, I don't recognize it...anyone know who makes these? Help appreciated.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by FiredDesires; 2016-05-26 at 3:06pm. Reason: mis=spelled titile
Old 2016-05-27, 11:13am

That's Chinese--which is all I know.

(East Asian Studies degree, fwiw.)
Old 2016-05-27, 11:35am
tweetysweetie

Thanks for that info.....sure like to know "who" sells them...and if it really is made in China? no wonder we're in trouble with Chineese products...this tool and its' mates are incredibly well mae......at first I was beginning to think that this was originally a cg product before they added the flame design to their handles...I have cg roller on my bench and mixing it in with these tools my hubby came home with....well, without the flame handle I'd have sworn they were the same product. You don't have an idea of where i can find out what the symbol actually says or stands for do you?

Last edited by FiredDesires; 2016-05-27 at 11:41am.
Old 2016-05-27, 11:40am

Devardi sells them,
I think they are using EDM scrap and a mill, shaper, or router to make them.

Old 2016-05-27, 11:45am
Loving learning

I have a flat marver with the same handle, but I think I got it 2nd hand so no info.
Old 2016-05-27, 11:45am
tweetysweetie

thanks lost, a Devardi product? humm........what is EDM
does this Davardi people have a website, I'd like to see what else they have that maybe matches the ones I have.

Old 2016-05-27, 11:47am
Loving learning

http://www.devardiglass.com/Marvers.htm
Old 2016-05-27, 11:49am
tweetysweetie

thanks Eileen, I too have a flat graphite marver in this tool bunch too, shaped and sloped like my brass stump marver.
These tools are heavy, I'm wanting all the info I can gather as I plan on selling them off...but no idea what to charge. I appreciate my husband snatching up these goodies and thinking of me, but don't plan on using them. I have the cg ribbed bicone roller and never use it....don't think I work it properly I guess..

Old 2016-05-27, 11:58am
tweetysweetie

Whoohooooooo, thanks Eileen, thats the place......wow, can't believe how inexpensive these guys are.....but at least I now know the route I'm taking in order to sell them.

Old 2016-05-27, 1:15pm

EDM or electronic discharge machine uses electrical arc to shape metal.

They use a lot of graphite blocks that can be unusable due to wear, or being slightly off in shape.
Its fairly easy to machine with common tools so scrap can be made into tools for glass or metal casters with little cost.

Old 2016-05-27, 2:01pm

My son tells me that's it's Chinese and upside down. lol And it says Yu Guang which roughly means Jade (brand).

Old 2016-05-28, 8:14pm

That could simply be the brand of the screwdriver that makes the handle too.
'cause you know that's all it is, a screwdriver glued into the graphite.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2016-05-29, 9:22am

Good point Nicole. Didn't think of that.

Old 2016-06-17, 8:51am

If you do sell them I'd like to get in on the action....I'm VERY tool poor lol so could you post a link if you haven't sold them?

Lisa
Old 2016-07-23, 6:38pm

I have 3 of those in different shapes I bought from Devardi when I first started, it seems to me they leave a film on the glass sometimes like it's not as good quality/ hard graphite.. It might be just me? They are definitely less expensive than the others I covet
I just recently bought a Speed Shaper, and I love it. I forget who makes it but I remember I saw a video on how to use it
Old 2016-07-23, 6:41pm

Cylinder Speed Shaper
http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/sha...derSpeedShaper
Old 2016-07-25, 9:21am
Queen of the milo field

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiredDesires View Post
I have the cg ribbed bicone roller and never use it....don't think I work it properly I guess..
Best tip I got from Donna was to treat it as if it were a curved marver. Before that I had trouble as well. Now? Wouldn't be w/o them; they save so much time.

dj