Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-08-11, 4:07pm

Smile Torching?

Do any of you torch outside when it is hot out side? I have been thinking about this for some time. It is hotter in the house than outside with the air off and the window open and fan on for the vent. If I have a table and tanked oxy along with propane would that sufice? I sure would like to know. Thanks again for any answers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rose Leslie
Old 2006-08-11, 4:26pm

The negatives to it are seeing your flame to work, and it getting moved with any breeze. But lots of folks do it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2006-08-11, 6:11pm
sunscreen me baby

I have done it but I don't like it much. The wind is a problem.

~

Old 2006-08-11, 8:11pm

I work in my unairconditioned garage with the garage door wide open. It is like being outside. Here in Texas, the temperature inside my garage is 88-91 degrees. I leave the door to my house open, so there is usually a breeze blowing through. I don't have any particular problem with this setup. I always have a cold drink to sip between beads and I leave the radio on for entertainment, and it works just fine. I'd rather be inside in the a/c, but it just isn't feasible.
Old 2006-08-11, 9:10pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Hi,
I live in florida and I torch outside. I do it mainly at night which is a bit cooler but sometimes when I didnt' get to torch the night before I will do it during the day. The sweat just pours off me!! I torch in a small shed 6x9
I have a window in front of me with one of those twin window fans, a fan behind me and the door beside me. There is quite a breeze here at night sometimes and with the fan blowing sometimes my beads cool off quick and crack on me but for the most part it works. I just hate the bugs at night! I used to torch on my screen porch which was ok but my little one kept getting into my stuff and he hit my mapp tank with a wrench and it scared me so I stopped out there. He doesn't go in the shed.
sue

Old 2006-08-12, 12:22am

I torch outside in the garage also. I leave the door open for ventilation. It can get very hot out there. On the hottest day I wait until 7 pm or so. Worst case I tie a wet bandana around my hair to keep me cool. Biggest problems are: sweating so much my safety glasses keep sliding down my nose and the breeze blowing my flame.....sometimes directly onto my hand. Cooked hair smells terrible!
Old 2006-08-12, 11:35am

I work outside on my back patio. I have used a folding shoji screen to block the wind on windy days, but I find that working early in the morning is best, and the wind has not kicked up yet. In the evening, it is also nice to work, but the bugs want to come and work with you. I have found that the wind usually can find a way to play with your flame. I have put a double fan in from of my work space and one behind me, and that seems to cut down on the "natural wind." Good luck.

Joyce