No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-10, 4:27am
Help i am on fire

Default thinking about taking a plunge

i am thinking of moving from my HH (best friend for 6 yrs ) to nortel minor. was about to buy it, then inquired about oxy prices. i am very rural and they don't deliver to houses. so i would have to haul this bomb in my car. plus 59.00 yr rental, 75.00 deposit on cylinder and 40.00 fill up. wow i was shocked. how fast do you go through oxy?
Old 2010-11-10, 4:32am
Unmedicated since '62

fast - really fast

i get about 25 hours out of a G size bottle - thats the bottle as tall as me

i use a minor

honestly, oxycons in the US are so cheap, why would you bother with bottled oxy? its a bit different here, any oxycon is over $2000 here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-11-10, 4:39am
Help i am on fire

i was thinking about oxy/con wondered what would i need to go w/ minor. confused on this. can anyone tell me what size oxy/con ? i would go through oxygen in no time in a cylinder. plus the hauling around scares me.
Old 2010-11-10, 5:12am
Detail G-Mama!

I'm running a 5 for my mini cc and it's doing fine for me, course I'm not making big beads. A 5 or 10 would do the job for a minor!

Old 2010-11-10, 5:13am

From what little I know, given the choice of a minor or a mini cc, the mini cc is hotter. I have both a mini cc and a cricket- and 2 oxy-cons (no idea of their strength but they work well). I have quick connects on each torch so I can switch them out. I reserve the mini cc for 104 and the cricket for boro, although Lunamoonshadow wonders why as she works both on her cricket! (It's just that I know each torch so well for the glass I work.)

Just my thoughts...

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-11-10, 7:42am
geekitude on two wheels

I'm on tanks, I'm very rural as well but happen to be on a delivery route so they'll still drop off for me. Talk to some farmers around if you know some, and see who they use - you might be able to do better or get on a delivery route. I've got a K sized tank, and that lasts quite a while - not sure exactly, over 40 hrs at least tho.
Old 2010-11-10, 8:06am
Resident hippie

I have a 5lpm oxycon that's fine with my Minor.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2010-11-10, 8:09am
Just at the begining

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead-meltdown View Post
i was thinking about oxy/con wondered what would i need to go w/ minor. confused on this. can anyone tell me what size oxy/con ? i would go through oxygen in no time in a cylinder. plus the hauling around scares me.
I run a minor on a 5lpm Oxy/Con, and I use BE90 which is stiffer, and it has no problem melting it, in fact I find it melts 104coe too easy.

Oxy/Con is the only way to go, there is nothing worst than running out of Oxy on the weekend when everything is closed, been running the same oxy/con for 7 years.
Old 2010-11-10, 8:23am
Glass-aholic

I have a 5lpm used oxy con that I got with shipping for about 80 bucks! It has worked great for me
Cant beat the price, does not take up a lot of electricity, and i have more heat than i know what o do with! lol I was on a HH for 11 years before I made the switch... Its a bit of a transition, not a bad one though, and everything is so much faster and quieter that you have to re-teach your brain to think without the noise, and a bit faster, because you dont need all that time waiting for glass to melt! I love my minor!!!! its super easy to use

Edit to add: I also do 90coe and it is super easy, not really a significant difference in the melting at all.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-11-10, 10:46am
Always learnin' & yearnin

Just upgraded myself from HH to Minor got an 5lpm oxycon for next to nothing and loving every min of it!!! really wanna try boro now!

Old 2010-11-10, 11:47am

I have a 5 oxycon on a cricket and it works fine for 104 96 90 and boro no problem.

Old 2010-11-10, 1:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

If you want to get just one 5 lpm machine, I would get a cricket. It is hotter on 5lpm than a minor.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-11-10, 6:23pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
If you want to get just one 5 lpm machine, I would get a cricket. It is hotter on 5lpm than a minor.
Hey, that was what I was going to say! I have a minor with a 5 lpm and I wish I had a cricket.

Old 2010-11-10, 7:18pm

I am selling a cricket and hoses if you are interested. I willbe putting this in the garage next week.
Debi
Old 2010-11-10, 7:26pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Go with the oxycon - here in Bermuda it is $70 to get a refill on the large oxy bottles (tall as me ones) plus $7 a month rental for the cylindar!! A new oxycon was quoted locally at $1900 and it was 8lpm so not big enough. Am saving for a BIG one from Jack!
Old 2010-11-10, 8:01pm

the cricket rocks! I just got mine in. you can get a newly refurbed oxycon for 150$ plus ship from oxygen unlimited. mine will be here tomorrow from them and they gave me the best service ever! http://unlimitedoxygen.com/

Old 2010-11-10, 8:03pm

and yes I agree with the other posts you would be WAY better off getting a 5lpm oxycon then dealing with tanks. They are trully a pain in the butt. you wont have to deal with loading, rental fees, fill fees save yourself the headache

Old 2010-11-11, 1:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I agree. 5lpm for the cricket, bigger for the minor. I wouldn't be afraid to go to a 10lpm for a minor.

Kym
Old 2010-11-11, 8:15am

I started out on a nortel minor using a 120lb (5 foot high about 8 inches in diameter) o2 tank.

When I did beads for 3 -4 hours every day, I went through a tank of 02 in 4 days. I then migrated to a barracuda and went out and spent money on a o2 machine with no filler tank. I have used it faithfully for 4 years now without issue - no more trips hauling my O2 to the gas place in town!!!

I would suspect spending the money for a small oxycon would suffice for the nortel only I personally wouldnt waste my time with a 5 lp - personal opinion and nothing to take away from the recommendations others have given on the 5, since its all about money anyway but - here's my reasoning - I would go to at least a 10, that way you have a little lea-way <sp> on O2 and if you decide down the road to add a second nortel or even swap it out for another torch, you dont have to focus on getting more O2 so soon.

(I was told years ago by some very wise glass people, - always go as big as you can with the money you have and I personally have always followed that in my glass endeavours - so far it hasnt steered me wrong) It's easy to turn down the O2 you don't need, but you cant turn up the O2 you don't have.....

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2010-11-11 at 8:26am.
Old 2010-11-11, 10:25am
Playing with Fire!

The cricket was specifically designed to run off of a 5 Lmp or greater oxycon... it preforms MUCH better (hotter& cleaner) than a mini-cc or minor on said oxycon.
Many of our students have gone this route and very happy with the combination and low cost.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2010-11-11, 10:48am
Help i am on fire

well i made the plunge. bought the minor and 10lpm . i can't wait it is so exciting. thanks for everyone's in put ,as usual you guys are always there when i need you.
Old 2010-11-12, 8:54am
Peerless Thread Killer

JMO-I've worked on other torches, and find my minor to be a wonderful torch. I like other torches, don't get me wrong, but the minor is a great workhorse.