Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-08, 7:30am

Default shipping to the UK from the US

Has anyone shipped to the UK? If so, did you go with insurance? I think USPS insurance is good only while the package is still in the US...once it goes overseas, I believe all bets are off...is that correct? I think delivery confirmation is also pointless for the same reason. What's the best way to ship a small box.

Any thoughts? And yes, I am going to get my butt over the post office for further inquiry...just wanted your recommendations based on your experiences.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-08, 7:33am
Experimentalist

Hm... I ship first class with (third party) insurance, but I have never had a package go missing so can't attest to how good the insurance would work in this situation.

Old 2010-11-08, 7:37am

What is third party insurance???? : - ) thanks! I was assuming "regular" insurance...duh!

Last edited by Rudy; 2010-11-08 at 8:40am.
Old 2010-11-09, 2:11pm

I mail to the UK fairly often ... just package it up well. I don't usually insure but I'm sending to family so that may be different. The British mail is known (or used to be) for getting the mail where it's supposed to go! Of course there's no accounting for lunies along the way ...

A long time ago there was a program about the mail in the UK and packages were mailed out with weird and wacky addresses, missing house numbers etc ... the last one just had the address "Guess who?" - and it got there!

Sadie

Old 2010-11-09, 2:15pm
Experimentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
What is third party insurance???? : - ) thanks! I was assuming "regular" insurance...duh!
Oh, I just meant that USPS won't insure 1st class international shipping, so I went with Endicia.

Old 2010-11-09, 4:12pm

Remember that the UK has incredibly low thresholds for having to pay import duties.
If you value your package on the customs form above £18 (approx $2, the recipient will need to pay import duty, VAT (sales tax) and a handling fee.

if you are mailing something to a friend, make sure you mark it as gift because the thresholds are a little higher on gifts. But not a great deal higher sadly!

As for delivery confirmation - I can tell you that I have in the past had to sign for USPS priority mail boxes where the sender had requested delivery confirmation. BUT it all depends on the postie - we do have a problem here with postmen just leaving the packages and not collecting the signatures they are meant to.

As for our postal service having the good reputation Sadie mentioned, that was probably once true. Sadly this is becoming less and less the case now. A thirst for profits has brought many changes over the last couple of years - none of them good. I very much doubt as much time and effort goes in dealing with poorly addressed mail now. Unless it is easy to work out, I think they are far more like to just return to sender.

Emma

Projects, articles, bead galleries

Art beads, clay & supplies

Old 2010-11-09, 4:51pm

Thanks for the update Emma ... I do have to remember that it's been a while since I lived there and tend to think it's all the same!

The Royal Mail was privatised wasn't it?

And that's a great point on the VAT... mine are usually gifts...

Old 2010-11-10, 12:22pm

Not privatised yet - although it may be headed that way.

Lots of "modernisation" changes already taken place though. Don't get me started. Don't get me started on how a £300 million + annual operating profit is somehow not enough for this monopoly of a public service that we all rely on and have NO alternative for.

Oh, too late. You did got me started

I'll get me coat....

Emma

Projects, articles, bead galleries

Art beads, clay & supplies

Old 2010-11-10, 8:06pm

I use endicia.com for my internationals. you can purchase insurance on first class packages on the cheap!

Old 2010-11-10, 8:07pm

i think the first month is free, might check into that