Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-11, 7:46pm

Default Old Foster Fire

I have been given some Foster Fire that is about 3 years old - it is gritty. Is there anyway to get it smooth? Is there anyway I can use this?
Thank for your suggestions
Annie Hollowbead
Old 2011-11-11, 10:16pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Run it through a sieve or run it through the blender.
Old 2011-11-12, 1:08pm

Thanks! I try that today!
A.
Old 2011-11-12, 3:05pm
Mary Lockwood

Depending on how dried up it is, add a little bit of water at a time, toss in two or three old wonky beads, put the lid on tight and shake the crap out of it. Keep adding water, a tiny bit at a time, and shaking until you get it the consistency you want. It will reconstitute beautifully. If you have weird tap water you might want to use distilled so you aren't adding too many minerals or metals into the release. I've done this with fosterfire that was dried hard and I'm still using it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-11-12, 4:22pm

Me? I put it in a metal bowl, added a bit of water and used my mixer on it. It was a booger to get out of the bottle... I think I was scraping the clay-like bottom of the bottles contents with a wooden paint mixer. It blended beautifully and I consider my actions a good save to a great bottle of bead release.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-11-12, 4:53pm

Or if this doesn't work you can just let it turn into a claylike substance, roll it out flat, drill holes into it and make a cribbage board. Then I'll buy it off of you and send it to Sue because she will throw hers and break it from being so distraught from losing to me!

Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
Me? I put it in a metal bowl, added a bit of water and used my mixer on it. It was a booger to get out of the bottle... I think I was scraping the clay-like bottom of the bottles contents with a wooden paint mixer. It blended beautifully and I consider my actions a good save to a great bottle of bead release.

Sue

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-11-12, 4:56pm

Sorry Annie, I didn't mean to drag you into my and Sue's cribbage feud!!
Both the advice given by Mary and Sue is great tips!

I use the idea recommended by Mary. I use wonky beads to help mix up even brand new bottles of release. With the number of wonkies I come up with its a surprise I have any release left at all

Duane

Old 2011-11-12, 4:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
Or if this doesn't work you can just let it turn into a claylike substance, roll it out flat, drill holes into it and make a cribbage board. Then I'll buy it off of you and send it to Sue because she will throw hers and break it from being so distraught from losing to me!

Duane
Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
Sorry Annie, I didn't mean to drag you into my and Sue's cribbage feud!!
Both the advice given by Mary and Sue is great tips!

I use the idea recommended by Mary. I use wonky beads to help mix up even brand new bottles of release. With the number of wonkies I come up with its a surprise I have any release left at all

Duane
Duane, Sweetie-- wake up. You are dreaming!

(Sorry, Anne, but Duane was having delusions of grandeur in his dreams. I had to wake him up!)

Sue
Old 2011-11-12, 5:36pm

Ummm...Sue...Why so bitter? Go melt some glass...maybe have a glass of wine..Maybe go have a glass of wine while melting glass. I don't know.
I think either one will help take the edge off losing to me.

Duane

Old 2011-11-12, 8:13pm
Duchess of Dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Depending on how dried up it is, add a little bit of water at a time, toss in two or three old wonky beads, put the lid on tight and shake the crap out of it. Keep adding water, a tiny bit at a time, and shaking until you get it the consistency you want. It will reconstitute beautifully. If you have weird tap water you might want to use distilled so you aren't adding too many minerals or metals into the release. I've done this with fosterfire that was dried hard and I'm still using it!
I do the same thing! Using distilled water keeps the mold away for me.

Old 2011-11-12, 9:37pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Whoa! Release can mold? I had no idea. If it molds, is it ruined? I would throw out food if it went moldy but release? Is it garbage if it goes moldy?
Old 2011-11-13, 12:08am
Unmedicated since '62

Why on earth would mould matter?

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2011-11-13, 12:20am
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
Why on earth would mould matter?
Because it can be very toxic and some people are allergic to it.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-11-13, 10:04am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
Because it can be very toxic and some people are allergic to it.
Mold can be toxic, yes. Moldy bead release can be used, but I don't. Distilled water is best because your water may have "salts" added to it to make it "softer" and that will ruin your bead release. (not instantaneously, depends on how much you add, etc)

FosterFire never goes bad and is non-toxic. If your pet eats it, just give them plenty of water. There are 3 formulas. The first 2 are fairly rough looking on the mandrel. Smooth & Tuff is made using a different process and is smoother on the mandrel.

The bead release should be the consistency of tomato sauce from a can, but it can be used thinner. If it looks patchy on the mandrel or forms a ridge when dipped, then you need to add water.
Old 2011-11-14, 1:36am
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Mold can be toxic, yes. Moldy bead release can be used, but I don't. Distilled water is best because your water may have "salts" added to it to make it "softer" and that will ruin your bead release. (not instantaneously, depends on how much you add, etc)

FosterFire never goes bad and is non-toxic. If your pet eats it, just give them plenty of water. There are 3 formulas. The first 2 are fairly rough looking on the mandrel. Smooth & Tuff is made using a different process and is smoother on the mandrel.

The bead release should be the consistency of tomato sauce from a can, but it can be used thinner. If it looks patchy on the mandrel or forms a ridge when dipped, then you need to add water.
I probably should have clarified that I was speaking about mold in general, and certainly not with any specificity to your fine product.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-11-14, 6:38am

I always used the heavy duty and loved it. I found it was a bit gritty on the mandrel but it wasn't a problem. I miss it.

Old 2011-11-14, 7:15am

Mold is toxic if you eat it. Moldy bead release of any brand would taste awful.

Robert
Old 2011-11-14, 11:25am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimmons View Post
Mold is toxic if you eat it. Moldy bead release of any brand would taste awful.

Robert
Hmmm.... so what you're saying is I should not spread moldy bead release on my toast? Okay. Geez! You people are PICKY!
Old 2011-11-14, 3:13pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

I would not spread anything on my toast that looks so much like my daughter's BM. Period.

ROFLMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
Hmmm.... so what you're saying is I should not spread moldy bead release on my toast? Okay. Geez! You people are PICKY!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-11-14, 7:25pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

Eating FosterFire is not recommended. Especially not on toast. I recommend strawberry jam or honey or raspberry jam. (on the toast, not on a mandrel..!)
Old 2011-11-15, 4:56am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Eating FosterFire is not recommended. Especially not on toast. I recommend strawberry jam or honey or raspberry jam. (on the toast, not on a mandrel..!)
I am glad you clarified... I was just starting to dip my mandrels... in honey!
Old 2011-11-15, 5:26am

You guys are warped! I'm proud to cyber-know you!

Sue