60 yrs 2 0.77%
65 yrs 1 0.38%
70 yrs 1 0.38%
75 yrs 5 1.92%
80 yrs 7 2.68%
6 feet under 245 93.87%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-08-08, 8:44pm

I hope I never have to quit! I just love melting glass!

I'd let the 6 year old work with you helping and using a forced air and propane - not oxypropane - setup using one finger of an older style neon crossfire. You can use a decent vacuum cleaner with hose hooked up to outlet (I used a Kirby for awhile) as the air source. The flame is much cooler (~1600°) you can waft your hand quickly through it without a burn, unlike our much hotter (~5300°) torchesl If you want more details I'd be glad to help you with setup info. It'd be way cheaper to set up also.
Old 2014-08-14, 6:09pm

I have taught students of all ages from nine years old and up..... Responsibility and common sense have NOTHING to do with age.... Try not to be distracted and you can keep it up as long as you feel physically able!
Old 2014-08-21, 12:49pm
Artistically Absorbed

Definitely 6 feet under! They may not be the same quality as now when I am really old, but working at the torch is like a free therapy session for my creative flow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-08-21, 4:37pm

For what it's worth, I saw an 84 year old lady whip out a large (~6-8" tall) sculptural boro unicorn in like half an hour or 45. It was really nice too- muscle definition, flowing mane and tail, twisted horn, the works - all clear boro.

She looked pretty feeble until she got behind the torch, than it was like watching a virtuoso at work. It was also where I learned that glass will listen when you yell at it, I already knew it worked for bowling balls.
Old 2014-08-23, 11:18pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

It would be a very sad day for me if my body was failing me in such a way I'd be forced to quit. I want to be able to lampwork until the day I die.

Ebay: