Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-17, 1:15pm

Default Core Lining 3/32nd beads

Should I investigate carrying tubing for silver core lining 3/32nd mandrel beads?

If so, anyone already know the perfect tubing size?

Ginko Beads
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-17, 6:04pm

No one?

Ginko Beads
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-17, 6:07pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Do you mean 3/32" or 3/16"? I think any lining for 3/32" would have to be as thin as aluminum foil to be able to fit in that tiny hole.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-10-17, 6:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I love 3/32 lines beads, but I don't know what the right size is.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-10-17, 6:16pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Can someone send me a link to what 3/32 lined beads look like? I am just not picturing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I love 3/32 lines beads, but I don't know what the right size is.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-10-17, 6:18pm
Just Plain

I use aluminum tubing to line my 3/32" hole beads. This is what I use:
3/32" Round Aluminum Tube - 0.094" OD (0.014" wall)

This is what the hole looks like with the aluminum tubing this size. This bead is metal, but the tubing also fits my 3/32" mandrel lampwork beads as well. The hole diameter ends up being around 1 to 1.5mm.

Last edited by Jayne; 2011-10-17 at 7:02pm.
Old 2011-10-17, 6:30pm
I need more boro stuff

This is what I bought b4 for 3/32":
https://www.aemetal.com.au/Webstore/...d-x-18-id.aspx

The ID is very very small.

Old 2011-10-17, 6:57pm

Thank you! I have had three people request that I carry it. Personally, I do not think I will do much at that size. Anyone interested, or is this a small market?

I am putting together an order for (sh!!!) a possible bulk buy on the regular 4.37 ID tubing.

Ginko Beads
Old 2011-10-17, 8:54pm
Alaska Boro

Gave coring at try with beads made on a 1/8 mandrel. Used .128 OD x 010 wall .999 silver tube. Maybe, one out of five turned out fine. Most ended up swaged. In this successful example the bead is 15.54 x 8.96 mm in size.

Used the Impress tool. However, using the Impress in combination with dapping tools may result in success. Overall, there was no demand for the product.

The good part with the .999 damaged silver cores is that it can be used for fuming.

Old 2011-10-17, 9:16pm

I think I will skip the tiny tubing then.

Ginko Beads
Old 2011-10-17, 9:17pm

Lovely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne View Post

This is what the hole looks like with the aluminum tubing this size. This bead is metal, but the tubing also fits my 3/32" mandrel lampwork beads as well. The hole diameter ends up being around 1 to 1.5mm.

Ginko Beads
Old 2011-10-17, 9:25pm
Just Plain

Thanks

Old 2011-10-17, 9:35pm
Bohemian Bead Peddler

Here are a few that I just did in brass, but not sure of the mandrel size. I, too, really like skinny cored beads. They're so different! The chain in the pics below is one of those micro ball chains, like 1.5mm or something like that.

Old 2011-10-17, 10:22pm
Superkitty

Is there any chance of getting copper tubing that is a better fit for the pandora size holes? The silver tubing is perfect, but the copper tubing's diameter is slightly too large. I'd use it more often if it didn't take so long to ream the holes of the beads and caps larger.
Old 2011-10-17, 10:30pm
one day at a time

I really like the look and I would buy some in sterling if they were available.
Old 2011-10-17, 10:57pm
Superkitty

I've done the small coring with sterling. It looks nice with bead caps, but I don't remember what size tubing I used.
Old 2011-10-17, 11:55pm
Gimme that silver glass!

Jayne, that is lovely! The Aluminum Tube is also really pretty and probably a bit "cheaper" than silver? Isn't it an idea to start carrying aluminum tube that size Ginko? I'd buy it .

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-10-18, 12:15am
I need more boro stuff

I used 3/32" s/s tubing for riveting on these rings:

Old 2011-10-18, 4:26am

Jayne I love the look of your metal bead if you do not mind sharing where did you get the aluminum tubing?
Thanks Debi
Old 2011-10-18, 5:21am
Did someone say SALE?

You should carry the aluminum tubing.... I would buy some!
Old 2011-10-18, 8:11am
Just Plain

Thanks, Anouk & Debi! Anouk, it's alot cheaper than silver. I bought it to use on my metal beads and liked it so much that I'm using it on my lampwork beads now, too. But you have to keep in mind it is a softer metal and will melt in the flame.

Debi, I got it at Metalliferous.

Yunita, your silver rings are stunning!

Alexis, awesome brass cored beads!

Ginko, if you do try a few pieces of aluminum to sell in your shop it's a pretty inexpensive venture, not like the cost of silver. Maybe you could try a little to start out with, as an inexpensive alternative to silver - or even for customers to use for practice before buying the "real thing." It's nice to be able to get supplies in one place, too

Last edited by Jayne; 2011-10-18 at 8:14am.
Old 2011-10-18, 10:51pm
I need more boro stuff

Thanks Jayne.

Old 2011-10-19, 1:44am
Gimme that silver glass!

Wow yeah, just checked Metalliferous and that sure makes a difference! Ginko, please try to carry aluminum tube, small size and pandora size too ?

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2011-10-19, 2:33am

My wife recieved a bracelet as a gift from my sister in law. It's a Pandora's Bracelet" and when i search for it in the internet, I was amazed about the price of each beads. Imagine a $50 to $60 per beads.... Wow!!
Old 2011-10-22, 3:31am
Certified Glassaholic!

Rio Grande sells tubing that fits 3/32" holes.

Old 2011-10-22, 4:44pm

I have a coring tool I bought many years ago from the people who now make Pandora and Troll bracelets and beads. They no longer market this particular too. The tool came with precut SS tubing. It looks like it was made from a door hinge, with alot of brass tooling. It works wonderfully. I lent the tool out but it should be here first of the week if you want sizing with ID and OD.

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2011-10-22, 11:36pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
Wow yeah, just checked Metalliferous and that sure makes a difference! Ginko, please try to carry aluminum tube, small size and pandora size too ?
^this please
Old 2011-10-31, 9:56am

Update: I have materials on order for testing aluminum and also some small tubing for the 3/32nd holes.

Ginko Beads
Old 2011-11-01, 7:16am
sunscreen me baby

I would definitely be interested in aluminum tubing, thanks!

~

Old 2011-11-01, 8:04am
...displaced ocean lover

This is awesome looking!
What do I need to buy so that my impress tool would work for coring those tiny beads? I'm a little confused on how to put so many layers together---but I WANT to b/c it looks AWESOME!! Great job, Jayne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayne View Post

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats