Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-04, 1:00pm
My lab pups - Mojo & Babe

Question Opinions please - on 104 COE basics...

I'd like to get your opinions on the best 104 clear, black and white glass. This is what I'd like each to do:

Clear -- I love Aether, but don't like the effects it has over silver. What do you recommend as the best 104 clear to use over silver foil, wire, mesh, glass, as close to scum-free as possible, and maintain the integrity of the silver as before its encased?

Black & White -- I love Hades and Peace, love the density of the black/black color and the low sheen of the white, but I'm looking for a black that will lay beside white and keep a clean line. I don't like how Hades and Peace sort of mingle and blur into one another when they touch. I don't care for the blacks that really look like a very dark transparent purple.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patti

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Old 2011-08-04, 1:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by plynnt View Post
I don't care for the blacks that really look like a very dark transparent purple.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Patti
Most blacks are really super saturated transparent colors like Purple, olive, brown, etc. There are very few true opaque blacks made these days. If you were looking for 96 I could direct you to one I use for furnace work is very dense and extremely stiff.
Old 2011-08-04, 1:40pm
Did someone say SALE?

For the clear, Double Helix has a new one coming called Zephyr. No reaction to silver! It is TDF.

For the black, Black diamond is a good new one, and I have not heard it, but there is a Reichenbach black that is supposed to be a good one.
Old 2011-08-04, 2:01pm

Thanks for the info. Will definitely be trying out the Zephyr!

|
|

Old 2011-08-04, 2:21pm
Confused as usual

I heard lauschaer clear glass was supposed to be the best . I haven't tried it yet .I too am looking for the best clear
Old 2011-08-05, 5:56am
Formerly FishBulb

Reichenbach Deep Black is supposed to be excellent. It's a 104 black available at Olympic Color Rods.

Donna Milliron has developed a black called Black Diamond which is also deeply saturated and can be bought at Arrow Springs.

Lauscha tends to be a bit touchy with its compatibility; I know the Lauscha clear that I have, I'm just using it for making swirls in beads now. I tried encasing with it and all the beads cracked. I love Reichenbach 1011 Crystal Clear. Its only drawback is that it's quite stiff. I've found it doesn't react to silver quite the same way as other clears.

There is a thread on here about pickling your glass, soaking it in hot alkaline water to clean it out using either Sparex or Ph-. That can make any glass look good, even the variety of clears!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-08-05, 6:03am
Mad about Glass

Reichenbach Deep Black is the best black I have used in twisties and for fine stringer.
Aether and Zephyr are the best clears.
Reichenbach Crystal clear is very good and so is TAG Clarity but both scum a little if worked too hot.
Lauscha clear is lovely but there are lots of compatability issues with silver glass.

[url]

Old 2011-08-05, 8:53am

Always the place to come for some great information. Thanks everyone!

|
|

Old 2011-08-05, 9:07am

Anyone know if Zephyr is for sale to the public yet? Can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks

|
|

Old 2011-08-05, 6:30pm
dances with ideas...

I think Zephyr is planned to be available this fall.

Old 2011-08-07, 3:43am
Dark Flower Bead Art

If you are using lauscha remember to select the Reformulated clear. The "soft" clear has a COE of 102 I believe and can give compatibility issues. I used Lauscha reformulated exclusively until I discovered two things. Effetre super clear when pickled is just really, really good and so much cheaper. Also, lauscha can get "sticky" and be difficult to work with at times. I like Effetre super clear because i can get slightly thinner rods and its easier for me to encase. Having said all that Zephyr is by far the single best clear i have ever worked with in the planet ever. period. it was briefly available as a test batch and was sold at the gathering. it will be available on line in the fall through DH.

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon