Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-09-23, 9:20am

Default Silver Powder

I just love the effect I've seen when people use silver powderon their beads. Does anyone know where I can get some?
Thanks!
)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-09-23, 9:25am

Some people were getting it from printers or photo developers, but when I tried to contact the ones in my area I didn't get any positive results. I will monitor this one as well, because I have wanted to try it.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-09-23, 9:27am
ManBearPig

I have some more I need to finish cleaning. It's a byproduct of the film developing industry. Some people don't like to get rid of it because there are companies that buy it from you. But they don't give you much for it.

I would like to think I'll have some clean and ready to get rid of in a couple weeks, but it just depends on how busy I am at work.

Old 2007-09-23, 10:13am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Can you PM me when you have some?
I've been looking for some to buy too, but no luck either.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-09-23, 10:29am

Let me know also please! Thanks!

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-09-23, 10:32am
Angel-Headed Hipster

I would also love to buy some!!!

~ It's not what ya got, but how you move it.

HH w/bulk MAPP~~~~No Classes, No Tuts, No Name, No Slogan, No Fear
Old 2007-09-23, 10:49am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

does anyone have a picture of beads done with it? I am completely clueless ( as usual lol)

Old 2007-09-23, 12:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I have some more I need to finish cleaning. It's a byproduct of the film developing industry. Some people don't like to get rid of it because there are companies that buy it from you. But they don't give you much for it.

I would like to think I'll have some clean and ready to get rid of in a couple weeks, but it just depends on how busy I am at work.
While I realize that you are talking about a byproduct material, there are industries that do make this type of stuff. Do you have any specs on this power? Particle size? Density? Purity?

Thanks!

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2007-09-23, 1:07pm
Entropy increasing....

http://www.saltlakemetals.com/Silver_Powder.htm

http://www.advancedmaterials.us/47MR-02C.htm
Old 2007-09-23, 1:17pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Make sure you get the 99.9% pure variety. Also, it has a tendency to clump and make silver droplets that are too large on your beads so you have to work it carefully. Sifting is not a good idea so I blend it into my enamels and use it that way. The enamels keep it from clumping.

Old 2007-09-23, 1:35pm

Thanks for the links!

I initially asked the question about the specs of the prowder because, as these two sites show, each site has a different size powers. One is 'about' 2 microns, the other 0.5-1.2 microns.

So, is anything 'up to' 2 microns ok? Can one use larger powder?

Thanks!

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2007-09-23, 1:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
Make sure you get the 99.9% pure variety. Also, it has a tendency to clump and make silver droplets that are too large on your beads so you have to work it carefully. Sifting is not a good idea so I blend it into my enamels and use it that way. The enamels keep it from clumping.
Fantastic information! Thanks!

So, do you use just clear enamels? Or have you tried using colored enamels?

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2007-09-23, 2:14pm
Just me

Good idea thanks Amber!
I totally forgot I had some silver powder until I saw some of your cool beads in the s&t threads.
I have only used my silver powder a couple times and rolled my beads in the powder all by itself. The powder collected into one big ball of silver and fell off my bead.
I will try mixing it with the enamels and heard frit is good too. I never got around to trying it again.
I'd like to try a reduction frit and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post

Old 2007-09-23, 6:18pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Malcolm, I use colored enamels - Thompson 104 COE to be exact. I also use soft glass that I know will react to the silver content - Vetrofond Dark Ivory, River Rock, Effetre Opal Yellow - any colors that move and spread well. Here a few examples. You can see the small "glitter" effect the powder has as well as some larger drops from using silver wire with it.

Old 2007-09-23, 6:44pm

whew..pricey..lol
http://cgi.ebay.com/Silver-Powder-Me...QQcmdZViewItem

more http://www.saltlakemetals.com/Silver_Powder.htm
Old 2007-09-24, 8:14am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
While I realize that you are talking about a byproduct material, there are industries that do make this type of stuff. Do you have any specs on this power? Particle size? Density? Purity?

Thanks!

Malcolm
No idea. I don't have any way to measure anything like that. I can post pics of it in relation to other common items when I get it ready, though. Not sure if that will help or not...

Last edited by Cosmo; 2007-09-24 at 8:17am.
Old 2007-09-24, 8:23am
traumaqueen

Amber I had no idea it was silver powder you are using!! Love them beads !

Old 2007-09-24, 8:24am
traumaqueen

roflol... I really like the big fat warning on the bottle:

DO NOT EXPOSE TO FLAME

Old 2007-09-24, 8:24am
Trying to Hope!

I would be interested too but dang 100 bucks for 50 grams ugh! and it says not to expose to flame ?? is that the right stuff?
CVhad maybe you will have smaller amounts available? I hope

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2007-09-24, 10:17am
Glass-aholic

yep, the bottle says not to expose to flame, but the notes abouve it say that 'artists use it to add to glass beads' it also says it is non toxic......

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2007-09-24, 10:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
roflol... I really like the big fat warning on the bottle:

DO NOT EXPOSE TO FLAME
The warning is because, if you expose the powder to a flame, the silver will melt, and become a single blob of silver. It will no longer be a powder.

That's all.

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2007-09-24, 11:43am
traumaqueen

Lol, I thought it was really funny to read

Old 2007-09-24, 12:57pm
Entropy increasing....

Interestingly, I was just reading an article yesterday about silver powder being used in all kinds of new ways. It's naturally antibiotic and they have found a way to make it so tiny, like just a few nanoparticles in size, that they are putting it in clothing and bandages and topical solutioins. In searching for this stuff yesterday, I came across several sites where they were selling skin care products with silver in them.
Old 2007-09-24, 12:58pm

Wow, I had no idea this question would spark so much interest! Thanks for the info everyone. This stuff is rather pricey, I guess I'll have to wait. Maybe santa will leave some in my stocking. I should email him the links.

BTW- Amber, your beads are stunning as usual.
)

Old 2007-09-24, 7:11pm
Angel-Headed Hipster

Colloidal silver and Silvadene come to mind.

I make my own collloidal silver - but there is no way to QC the homemade stuff. Been taking it for three years on a daily basis and have not turned blue yet.

~ It's not what ya got, but how you move it.

HH w/bulk MAPP~~~~No Classes, No Tuts, No Name, No Slogan, No Fear
Old 2007-09-25, 6:45pm

they make PMC out of that stuff right?

Old 2007-10-27, 8:22am
Bigger, longer, and uncut

The fine silver powder seller Salt Lake Metals has a 25-gram size available for $49, which doesn't quite compute since two bottles of that size would come out to a dollar less than the single 50-gram size.

I stumbled onto this because I was researching the hows and wherefors of using silver on beads. I've learned tons in just ten minutes of using LE's search function! I wish I could thank each poster separately!
Old 2007-10-27, 8:34am
da General

Amber - those beads are breathtaking!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-10-27, 9:17am
Ad astra per aspera

Amber, those are beautiful!

I'm going to be working on a project involving some sheet silver. I think I'm going to do it in fine instead of sterling, so I can save the 'sawdust.' Cool!

Old 2007-10-27, 12:17pm

I am clueless about silver powder but Amber's beads are awesome!

JoAnn