Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-03-30, 5:51am

Default Striking Transparent Orange

Does anyone know if they still make the old stuff? The rod was completely transparent and almost a clear color with no stripe of color in the middle. It was moretti and I miss it! I don't like the stuff I keep getting, it isn't tansparent to begin with really and it is definitely not transparent on a bead. They still make the yellow and the red the old way. Does anyone know if this stuff is still around somewhere and that I can buy? I loved the brilliant absolutely transparent color. It was gorgeous. I hate the new stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need custom made price tags? Check out my friend
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
! Mention my name.
I LOVE these cards, plus they make life a little easier when getting ready for shows!

Old 2007-03-30, 6:55am
Ad astra per aspera

I haven't seen anything like the good, old batches in years. I still have 3 precious rods that I traded for about 7 years ago, and I use them VERY miserly. It was such a perfect, pure orange! Everything since then seems to be too much on the red side, or streaky semi-opaque. I DO like arancio perfecta for the color, but it wants to go opaque too readily.

Old 2007-03-30, 9:54am

I've got some Lauscha Tangerine... I'll have to melt it up and see what it looks like..Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-03-30, 10:53pm
Catnip Pusher

I have never been able to get any of the striking "transparents" to stay transparent - they always end up mostly opaque for me. I find it very disappointing that I can't get a 104coe transparent in red, orange, or yellow that stays transparent.

I also wish the aforementioned colors were not as reactive too. Can't combine them with Rubino at all.

Aimee
Old 2007-03-30, 11:01pm

Aimee,
You might want to try the Lauscha red for a good transparent red. You have to heat the snot out of it, until it actually goes clear, but when it cools you have a gorgeous transparent red. Umm, what I cant remember is if it will turn red without being restruck, or if you need to cool it and strike it in the flame. I'll check on that if you are interested.
Carol

Old 2007-03-31, 9:48am
Catnip Pusher

Thanks Carol. I'm a little leery of Lauscha however, I had major cracking issues with some of the colors. I'll have to check and see if the transparent red was one of them.

Aimee
Old 2007-04-01, 12:18am
Viking Flame Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
Thanks Carol. I'm a little leery of Lauscha however, I had major cracking issues with some of the colors. I'll have to check and see if the transparent red was one of them.

Aimee
You will have some serious cracking, Aimee, if you try to encase the Lauscha red with Effetre clear. If you use it with Lauscha clear instead it will be just fine. And it's a gorgeus shade of red!

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Old 2007-04-01, 5:18am
state-eternal change

Not to hijack, but if we want to use any Lauscha colour, it sounds like we should encase in the same brand's clear. It is ok to encase Moretti in general in Lauscha clear? Is this a "safer" way to be? Just a question..

Old 2007-04-01, 7:08am

Remember to do the stringer test before you make a whole set of beads.
Carole Anne from Lauscha has a post on the general Lauscha Questions thread about annealing at slightly higher temperatures. And it's got to go right into the kiln. We have just unpacked the tangerine and it's TDF...Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-08-24, 8:43pm

I have Effetre Transparent orange and I can't seem to get it to come out orange. I am brand new to lampworking any tips. The color keeps coming out red.
Old 2008-08-24, 10:16pm
Carpe Beadum

I've noticed that the rods I have (which do start out clear-yellow) strike a reddish orange, but they look pretty orange when put next to a transparant red (which also start out clear-yellow). It is transparant. The thinner I make the bead, the more orange it looks. I usually do a long thin bead with it these days. I got it last year from Frantz. Or maybe it was Arrow Springs. Argh, I'm not sure! LOL

"In dreams we pass into the deeper and more universal truth." Carl Jung

Last edited by DreamMuse; 2008-08-24 at 10:55pm.
Old 2008-08-25, 6:19am

I have a rod of transparent red and it only has a slight difference if I didnt make to two colors completely different sizes I would not have know which was which.
Old 2008-08-25, 8:14am
Dances With Fire

Paula is that lauscha orange one of the colors of the month??? I like that orange but dont remember what it was called. I is much more orange than moretti...

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-08-25, 8:19am
Dances With Fire

answered my own question...that is it! gorgeous color!

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-08-25, 8:35am

That was Orange Mango I think. And very close to Lasucha Transparent Orange. At least that's what everyone said that got it!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-08-25, 5:12pm

I had one or two old (bought 15 years ago??) rods of the Moretti transparent orange, and I agree, it hasn't been the same in years. I think I am hoarding two or three inches of it now! Someone recently gifted me with a stick of the CIM Clockwork Orange, though, and it is REALLY bright stuff! It looked great over white, and with Zeus scrolled all over it (the Zeus goes a shocking electric purple over the orange, very cool combo courtesy of Renee Wiggins at Jet Age...) So I bought a couple bundles of that at the Frantz bash this last weekend. Has anyone else here tried the Clockwork?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-08-25, 6:57pm

I tried Dali and Tibet this weekend on Lauscha Transparent Orange and got great color!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-08-26, 12:51pm

Really?! Let's see! (Oh, I know, you are on a plane and not at the camera....)

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-08-27, 1:54pm
just plain silly

I really like the CIM Clockwork orange and Sangre red. They are bright without the sometimes problematic striking issues.

Suzanne