No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-27, 3:05am
Gimme that silver glass!

I've seen enough, I decided NOT to buy and try this glass. No matter the lovely colors, I don't want to run the risk of cracked beads or shattering glass when I try to melt it. Just my 2 cents.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-02-27, 5:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
I've seen enough, I decided NOT to buy and try this glass. No matter the lovely colors, I don't want to run the risk of cracked beads or shattering glass when I try to melt it. Just my 2 cents.
well, avoid moretti or vetro odd lots and most handpulled glass completely.

as for cracked beads, that happens with every glass out there...it's not just COE that is a factor, which we all should know by now.
Old 2009-02-27, 7:34am
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post

as for cracked beads, that happens with every glass out there...it's not just COE that is a factor, which we all should know by now.
Quite true. I lost a Gaffer bead last week, due to thermal cracking. I spent too much time messing with the surface and not enough insurance heat.

Old 2009-02-27, 8:18am

So far, I have had not one bead crack with this glass, unlike others I have tried. I agree that there are all different reasons glass cracks. Look at the silver glasses, there have been posts about issues with them. And the opaline glasses that we now know should not be encased. I think it's just a matter of finding what works well together just like all of the other glasses. I can't tell you how many beads I have lost by using Lausha clear which is "compatible"!

Old 2009-02-27, 8:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud777olga View Post
Paula Yes, it is certainly necessary anneal I understand... But very much it would be desirable to try. But I think that Lauscha it is fine itself I love German glass more than others and I wait at you Reichenbach 104
Hi Sweetie. I love the german glasses too! I will have the Reichenbach on my website by Sunday night. I had a sale on something and got buried in orders.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-27, 8:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
I am running base line glass tests on all Devardi colors with Moretti. We will then know if any stress is present and in which colors. I think, when time premits, I will also start testing the Lauscha.
Jim
Are you testing for lead too? The one thing that I know for sure about German Glass is no lead is used in the manufacturing.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-27, 8:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post

Oh C'mon. It's fine to cheer the glass that you like. In this case Devardi. But let's not knock every other hand pulled glass out there. Most Moretti and Vetro Odds do NOT crack. Neither does Most hand pulled glass.

Paula

Like US on Facebook !

Last edited by PaulaD; 2009-02-27 at 9:39am.
Old 2009-02-27, 9:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
So far, I have had not one bead crack with this glass, unlike others I have tried. I agree that there are all different reasons glass cracks. Look at the silver glasses, there have been posts about issues with them. And the opaline glasses that we now know should not be encased. I think it's just a matter of finding what works well together just like all of the other glasses. I can't tell you how many beads I have lost by using Lausha clear which is "compatible"!
If you lost beads using Lauscha clear it was because you didn't anneal at their suggested annealing temperature or use a conservative program. There are posts all over this forum showing Lauscha clear mixed with all kinds of other 104 glass and when annealed properly it does not crack. The cracking problems seem to be a mostly American thing because of the way we anneal and the fact that most of us don't like to change out program once it's in the annealer. Me included.
I have even shown photos of Solid Silver Color cored beads encased with Lauscha clear that have survived well over a year.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-27, 9:22am
Just me

Cynthia posted this thread so there'd be a place to talk about working with this new glass and our experiences with it so we wouldn't have to wade through a bunch of other posts to see what it's like. It would have been really nice if this thread could have stayed about working with Devardi and the pictures posted by those who have actually used it.

The first Devardi thread is probably more appropriate for the other stuff.

Old 2009-02-27, 9:27am

My apologies Bubby. But it came up in this thread. If I posted in the other thread no one would know what I was referring to.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-27, 9:36am
Just me

Paula, I'm not singling anyone out in the thread, just more commenting on the way things are shifting in hopes it will not turn into something else. We already have threads here and at TB discussing other parts and feelings about Devardi glass.

I do think your posts about working with Lauscha and asking about testing for lead are good posts and definitely relevant to the thread.
Thank you for that information, good to know.

Old 2009-02-27, 9:38am

Thanks Bubby!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-02-27, 9:54am
moth to the flame

I think the problem is that many are trying to knock Devardi because of its characteristics and those same characteristics can be found with the common glasses we currently use.

Not to derail the thread but I figured out why a bead crumbled that I mentioned a while back in this thread (I think it was this thread).

It was made from Vetro Bluestone (odd lot at 20.00 a ¼lb) and CIM Hades.
I had even made a small leaf out of those 2 colors and it cracked too...AFTER I found it and the others I had made with that blue glass in the crumbled bead. As soon as I can get to the torch I am going to mix these 2 again and do the freezer test.
I have found a lot of the Vetro odds don't like to be encased and they are prone to shockiness as well.
I'm not even gonna go there about Lauscha clear and cracking...there are a plethora of stories about that fact. Wasn't the reason Lauscha reformulated their clear was to make it compatible with the silver glasses?

I am still being cautious about the Devardi glass AFA compatibility goes (although none of the beads I had made with it have cracked so far) but I know there is a possibility of some of the Dev glass being incompatible but that doesn't make it any different than any of the other accepted glasses. They all have their limits.

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-02-27, 10:31am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Lover View Post
None of my beads have cracked yet with Devardi either. Just give it a little more time to warm up, work it a little farther out in the flame, and anneal as soon as your finished (if possible). Beautiful colors and fun to work with!

Jack

Old 2009-02-27, 10:59am
Semi Retired

I am very pleased with 2 beads I made using Devardi and Tag turquoise silver. I will post pictures later.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-02-27, 11:13am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Default Here's a few pics...

This one is all Devardi

This uses Devardi, Moretti, & Silver Brown

These use Devardi & Moretti

Wonderful glass for bead pens!

Jack

Old 2009-02-27, 11:15am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Default Sorry for being a pic hog...

This one uses Devardi, Lauscha, & Triton.

Jack

Old 2009-02-27, 11:19am
Semi Retired

Jack, they are spectacular. I love the last one with Lauscha and Triton.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-02-27, 11:22am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thank you.

Jack

Old 2009-02-27, 11:25am
moth to the flame

Wow Jack, they are all awesome! My personal fav is the second pic - so colorful!

Old 2009-02-27, 11:34am

Hey Jack, Those are Fantastic! I see you are using silver with Devardi. Have you had any cracking issues "at all" with Devardi?
Jim
Old 2009-02-27, 11:52am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
Hey Jack, Those are Fantastic! I see you are using silver with Devardi. Have you had any cracking issues "at all" with Devardi?
Jim
None so far.

Jack

Old 2009-02-27, 11:59am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Oh C'mon. It's fine to cheer the glass that you like. In this case Devardi. But let's not knock every other hand pulled glass out there. Most Moretti and Vetro Odds do NOT crack. Neither does Most hand pulled glass.

Paula

That statement was referring to the shattering rods, lol, which most handpulled glasses do-especially the odd lots

Cracking happens-due either to user error, just because, or that there's a trick to it (encasing moretti/vetro reds anyone?).
Old 2009-02-27, 12:16pm

Jack that last one is fantastic!

I have made more than 25 beads and mixed the Devardi with moretti, vetro and tag-no problems yet!

Beth
Old 2009-02-27, 12:24pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Quote:
Originally Posted by blong2001 View Post
Jack that last one is fantastic!

I have made more than 25 beads and mixed the Devardi with moretti, vetro and tag-no problems yet!

Beth
Thank you Beth!
I've been working with it for almost a month now, without any problems. I've used it with my 'Cuda and Cricket and a pair of Invacare concentrators.
Let's see more pics!

Jack

Old 2009-02-27, 12:38pm

HELLO AGAIN
what beautiful beads! Jack!
well and my not such beautiful, but I tried
1. I did these beads on the lesson of FrogsongStudio
basis of Kobal't Devardi and transparent blue Devardi, other Moretti и Silver foil

2. WHITE LOTUS Moretti, red opal of Devardi and Zimmermann Purple Rose Special and Lauscha SUPER NOVA

3. WHITE LOTUS Moretti, bebe blue Devardi

4. White opal Devardi and Double Helix AURAE

5. Kuglar 104, Moretti, amethyst Devardi
Old 2009-02-27, 1:25pm
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Thak you Olga,

You're beads ARE beautiful! You are doing a GREAT job!!!
(Wonderful twisties also) Keep up the good work!

Jack

Old 2009-02-27, 1:39pm
moth to the flame

Yes Olga, your beads are beautiful!!!

Thank you for sharing them with us!

Old 2009-02-27, 2:20pm
Semi Retired

Olga, you have made some beautiful beads.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-02-27, 3:07pm

WOW! While I was sleeping, you guys are going great guns! Lovely beads, Jack. I have to do quite a few bead pens so that is great that Devardi works nicely for that too. Olga, nice work! Thanks for sharing everyone. I will have to try waking up at 1am in future and check this thread for bead porn.

Cheers
Kym
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi