Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-30, 7:45pm
passionate about pets

Default Chain buying questions.....

I wanted to buy some Sterling sliver chain to make some bracelets out of but i am unsure on what size, style, and gauge to buy. can someone give me some pointers on what kind i should buy. and maybe where i should buy. I was thinking about buying it at Artbeads. but if there is a better place to buy then i will look at that.

I was also wanting to know if i should buy a tumbler to tumble the bracelets . I don't know much about jewelry making so anything will help. I make stuff for myself but if i ever sell any of my stuff i want to make sure it lasts.

here are a few pictures of Other LE'ers braclet work. I like they type of chain they have but i still have no clue what size/style/gauge they are using. i like the look of this bracelet but i have no clue if it has a chain

i really like this kind of chain

I would also love to know what everyone uses to make this kind of bracelet. I have heard of beadalon but i heard it isn't so good.....so what do you use then to make this kind of bracelet?

*StOrM*

Nortel Minor- Natural gas & Oxycon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-30, 7:50pm

The bottom is made from multi strand beading wire and crimp beads - straight bead stringing technique. The 2nd photo wire wrapped onto sterling chain... take a few beads with you when you go chain shopping. That will help you gauge sizes.

This first... can't really tell what technique was used. If you live near a good bead store, they usually offer great classes and can help with materials.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-30, 7:56pm
passionate about pets

I would prefer to buy online ......living in Canada i find we don't have as much choices for supplies. and i am kinda asking if anyone can tell me what type of chains these are.

*StOrM*

Old 2008-08-30, 8:36pm
Flaming Redhead!

The first is strung...no chain is used. You string your beads, but put a jumpring with a few charms attached to it between your larger beads...hope that made sense.

The second uses a rolo chain...You can buy rolo chain in bulk without finished ends or you can buy them as bracelets and add charms.

The third, as was mentioned above, used multi-strand beading wire...my preference is Soft-Flex but I've used Accuflex as well in the past. It's usually all about what's on sale, cheapest shipping, or lowest price for me.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2008-08-30, 8:40pm
passionate about pets

Alex9- thanks. god to know the names of the chains i like. Rolo chain.....could you recomend a web site that sells these items?

*StOrM*

Old 2008-08-30, 8:41pm

Looks like softflex to me. The last picture has the softflex sicking out of the crimp. Also looks like there are covers over the loop in the toggle. Those covers are nice.

It may be beadalon but I would use softflex instead..... AND I get mine at Artbeads!

Second one looks like a commercially made chain.
Top one looks like softflex also. Lower right of the picture has some cord showing.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2008-08-30, 8:49pm
Flaming Redhead!

Storm...when I was doing alot of that style I was getting my chain from eBay...but because that was more than 5 minutes ago I've long forgotten who it was I purchased from. Now the chain I buy is at shows...the vendor is great but sadly does not have a website. Sorry I can't be of more help there...

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2008-08-30, 8:54pm
passionate about pets

does anyone else know where the best place to buy the rolo chain or something similar to it online at a good price?

*StOrM*

Old 2008-08-30, 8:57pm
Life is change. Love it

Storm, I use this chain for my bracelets and dangle necklaces. It looks absolutely awesome, and is so easy to make dangle bracelets! http://www.beadfx.com/images/bs066-02.jpg

I use this http://www.beadfx.com/images/96036002.jpg for all my bracelets. It is heavy duty sterling silver over stainless steel.

Beadfx is a great store, and you don't have to pay duty or customs charges because they are in TO

Old 2008-08-30, 9:00pm
passionate about pets

Carolyn - do you have any pictures of your work.....i would like to see the chain on something.....i think it looks quite nice. i will have to look up there web site!

*StOrM*

Old 2008-08-30, 9:09pm
passionate about pets

with the rolo chain i have no clue what gauge i should get?

*StOrM*

Old 2008-08-30, 9:11pm
Life is change. Love it

All my bracelets using that chain have sold at my local gallery. I'll be making another one in a few days and will take a pic.

Old 2008-08-30, 9:18pm
passionate about pets

ok

*StOrM*

Old 2008-08-30, 9:24pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

I like that chain. I haven't seen anything like it before.

Jenny

Old 2008-08-30, 9:29pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

I just went to check their site, here are a couple links to jewelry made with that chain.
http://www.beadfx.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=144
http://www.beadfx.com/inspirations/i...ons.php?id=165

Jenny

Old 2008-08-30, 9:31pm
passionate about pets

ooooo that is cute.....but for $3.60 and inch.....I am unsure. mind you i don't really make that much jewelry

*StOrM*

Old 2008-08-30, 9:39pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

Yeah that's expensive. I once bought some pre-made bracelets from Firemountain and it turned out they were way to fine for the garden bracelet I made. I was dissappointed, it was really hard to tell by their pictures the actual size of the chain. I ended up ordering chain from Monsterslayer and it was reasonably priced and I think sturdy enough.
https://www.monsterslayer.com/Pages/...ainsSpool.aspx it was the 6.0mm large sterling cable you have to scroll down to see it. I don't have a picture of anything made with it though, hope this helps!

Jenny

Old 2008-08-30, 9:43pm
passionate about pets

thanks, there prices seem good but shipping might be a bit pricey. artbeads has similar prices and they only charge me $1 for shipping

do you know what gauge rolo chain i should buy? i really have no clue

*StOrM*

Last edited by StOrM; 2008-08-30 at 9:46pm.
Old 2008-08-30, 9:45pm
formerly JewelsByJenny

I haven't used rolo myself, I would like to though. I would think you would want it somewhere around 4mm or so, but I'm not sure.

Jenny

Old 2008-08-30, 9:52pm
passionate about pets

ok thanks

*StOrM*

Old 2008-09-01, 9:08am

Hi Storm, I'm glad you asked this question. Your not alone with the difficulties of choosing a good affordable chain! I've looked at some in different catalogs and on-line and still am not sure what to get. Sigh. Of course making any decison for me is hard these days.
You could try calling Fire Mountian Gems. They have super friendly customer service people. They might be able to tell you whats popular right now. And I know they will take returns. Again, they have excellant customer service.

Maybe if you just bought some from a reputable store, that is good about returns, you could take a stab at say the Rolo chain, and if it just doesn't look like what you hoped, return it for larger or smaller.
Or go to the local arts and crafts store to see how big the chains look. Though sometimes they don't even have the size marked on them.

Another idea would be to look at jewelry makers sites. Sometimes they say what size chain they are using. Or they might be selling just chain that don't use anymore. Guess I should take my own advise 'ey?

Old 2008-09-01, 9:39am
passionate about pets

Thanks Angela, that's all good information. It is really hard to figure out what style size type of chain to use in a design. i guess trial and error seem to work the best I hate returning things, so i think that won't be an option for me. i would rather give it away if i don't use it.

Thanks again

*StOrM*

Old 2008-09-01, 9:40am
passionate about pets

In the first and second pictures does anyone know what the little pearl looking beads are called?

*StOrM*

Old 2008-09-01, 10:51am

Hi Storm,

I like to get chain from Rings and Things...they have a website www.rings-things.com and a catalogue. I'm pretty sure that all of the chain in the catalogue is shown actual size. This helps with picking guages. I've been very happy with the service from this company and with the prices.

Old 2008-09-01, 2:24pm
passionate about pets

thanks Shadow i might just have to order a catalogue

*StOrM*

Old 2008-09-01, 4:53pm

Storm, I like Artbeads service, but I find them expensive for things like this. Try monsterslayer or even FireMountain. If you do Fire Mountain, you get a good discount with multiple purchases. Monsterslayer is quick and the prices are usually good.

I'm one of those people who has had a bad time with Beadalon. I'd definitely recommend the Softflex. Waaaay too many repairs with the Beadalon.

I'm pretty sure those are pearls. You can get them in tons of colors. You can also get glass pearls that look very similar to those above.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-09-01, 5:41pm

Hi,
I'm new to lampworking. I wanted to learn everything about jewelry and that's part of it. I do, however, know a bit about wireworking. A GREAT source for jewelry, tools, findings etc. etc. is riogrande.com. You have to sign up and get a customer number. They'll send fabulous catalogs which are quite instructive. Their shipping is cheap and their silver/gold is cheaper than elsewhere and a good quality. I'd probably use 16 or 18 gauge wire. I can tell you in a bit because shortly I'm going to make a necklace from my first lampworked beads. It sounds as if you'd like to buy pre-made chains, etc. Rio Grande has plenty of choices. Have fun, but look out!!! You may expand into metal working.

Last edited by kanakanaksue; 2008-09-01 at 5:43pm. Reason: correct bad grammar
Old 2008-09-01, 5:52pm
passionate about pets

teachertracey - Thanks. I have only really ever used artbeads and mainly because of shipping. We get hosed here in Canada for shipping from most companies and because artbeads charges only $1 for shipping to canada i love them for that. I will compare prices then at firemountian and monsterslayer.
Thanks for letting me know what those beads were....I figured they might have been pearls but i had no clue they came in so many colors

I do have a question for all of you if you feel like helping me out. I make these caterpillar looking bracelet things and i was wondering how much you all think i should sell them for? I am looking for a price or price range. I do make the end bead myself, and i weave the whole bracelet with Robin Atkins technique.

*StOrM*

Old 2008-09-01, 6:20pm

I don't know how much, but I like it. I think they get a little/lot more for the RA bracelets with handmade lampwork. Maybe someone who makes them could tell you...there's been an exchange going on in the Patio.
My Etsy

SRA
#H135
Old 2008-09-01, 6:32pm
passionate about pets

i have seen RA bracelets go for around 65 - 150+ depending on the person selling them. Because i am using seed beads and only 1 lampworking bead. I am just unsure on what to sell them for . i have someone asking for one and i don't know what to tell her

eta - i also don't seel any of my work yet ..... so i don't know where to start

*StOrM*

Last edited by StOrM; 2008-09-01 at 6:39pm.