Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-12, 8:31pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Default This bead is jacked up!

I spent hours today making many large silver focals and 95% of them have this line running through the bead. It is not a crack. They were all made with the same rod of Ekho. Ideas anyone?

And I am referring to the long line going through the bead. Not the short one that is running towards the left. That is a scratch on my camera lens.

Thank you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-12, 8:41pm
GlassDocNC

No idea but it clearly needs to be inspected up close and personally by me...
Old 2010-03-12, 8:45pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Ha you guys are so cute. It is a mystery to me for sure.........

And very disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaglassgal View Post
No idea but it clearly needs to be inspected up close and personally by me...

Old 2010-03-12, 9:00pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

that is strange

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-03-12, 9:43pm
I'm a lilac!

Do you do gather encasing? It looks a lot like an encasing line made where the gather first touches the bead. For some reason with silver glasses the bead tends to fume a lot right where the gather first lays down.

Old 2010-03-12, 9:55pm
Jacqueline Parkes

What is gather encasing?

I just swiped one layer of clear over the silver glass. The whole bead is not encased. It is an illusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Do you do gather encasing? It looks a lot like an encasing line made where the gather first touches the bead. For some reason with silver glasses the bead tends to fume a lot right where the gather first lays down.

Old 2010-03-12, 10:06pm
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Weird angle though, compared to the mandrel line.

Old 2010-03-20, 3:42pm
Lover of all things color

Was your clear glass laid down in one complete piece? Sometimes when I'm doing gather encasing I get strings of clear that touch the unencased silver glass and they leave lines like that.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-03-20, 3:52pm
Jacqueline Parkes

I think I actually solved the mystery today. I was making some different types of beads today and I found lines again. It appears I may have purchased a bad batch of Moretti clear.

Why does clear have to be such a headache?

Old 2010-03-20, 11:25pm

It's a hair. No I'm only kidding!

Old 2010-03-21, 6:17am
Glass-aholic

there is a bad batch of moretti clear??? really... usually it is stead fast for compatibility, and not so much on the clarity, but you HAVE the clarity!! GREAT CLARITY TOO BTW!!

Im going to go with Kalera on this one. My moretti encased clear sometimes does this, it looks like a crack at first, but it is not. I have a few silver beads like this that I thought might be the beginning of a crack. I have had them for YEARS now. No problems what so ever.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: