Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2010-09-17, 2:22pm
Angie09

Default Suggestions for Purple

I'd love a Purple (Blue) Moon but haven't come across that. Can you suggest a good purple... (not too dark and not too light) and if it's reactive, all the better. Any input on GAs Grape?? Thanks in advance.
Old 2010-09-17, 2:37pm
senior citizen lampworker

It has been my experiance that purple is a very illusive color for boro. The only half way good purple I have found is Boro Stix's purple.

A YouTube video I made:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-17, 2:41pm
Angie09

That's not good news for me cuz I'm Boro Stix challenged ... I must just work them too hot or something cuz they never turn out the color they're supposed to. BUT THANKS!!!

Last edited by Angie09; 2010-09-17 at 2:42pm. Reason: forgot to say thank you
Old 2010-09-17, 4:25pm
Harold Williams Cooney

^^^ it's not you.

as long as you think blue is purple, there are lots of great boro purples.

WYSIWYG purple, no. Sorry. I don't think there is.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-09-17, 4:57pm
boro color bender

Wisteria from TAG is a good solid light purple... to get a trans purple, it takes the right layer of a striking silver color over a light base... i use white ... Northstar made a color that stayed purple in an implosion a long time ago and as soon as i remember the friggin name, I'll post it... not that it helps with out a time machine.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-09-17, 5:10pm

We used NS106 dark amethyst for a nice purple but if you have use it thin it loses a lot of it's punch.

And NS124 Silver Amethyst or NS93 Plum Krazy are nice but do go blue or blueish.

If you want to work thin or over white you could go with GA974 Black Violet, I like the frit personally over the rod.

NS80 Hyacinth and NS55 Periwinkle are purple blues that I like too.

Edit: idk if this helps but if you can layer a red (we used GA 139 cherrywood frit) over GA 541 persian blue it looks wicked (very dark if you let the cherrywood go dark but still) ... but GA discontinued persian blue and I haven't found a good replacement yet soo :*( not the most helpful tip

Last edited by TheSilicaForge; 2010-09-17 at 5:14pm.
Old 2010-09-17, 6:55pm
Borovangelist

Another vote for TAG's Wisteria, and Origin's borostix spring purple.

I have a transparent in my shop that I think is violet, but for the life of me I can't remember who made it. I *think* it was GA.

I'm striking challenged, so I avoid the amber purples, but that's me.

edit: I looked it up, it's Northstar, NS-32 Violet

|
|

Last edited by menty666; 2010-09-17 at 6:58pm.
Old 2010-09-18, 12:18am

I like ns purple urple although it fairly heat sensitive, it can boil on yeh.
Old 2010-09-18, 12:23am

Hi, It depends on the shade of purple you wanted. I like Tag Wisteria, somethimes I use it as the base colour, then encase with another eg. GA blue violet or GA colbalt 1. NS purple urple is great, but can boil if not careful. Also there is GA purple luster. For darker purples, try MB violet medley or MB purple thunder or MB Purple Haze.
Thanks, Cynthia in Australia
Old 2010-09-18, 4:38am

Dark amethyst over spring purple..... very, very yummy!

Old 2010-09-18, 5:20am
Angie09

Thanks everyone!!! Wisteria (I love) but it's more lavender) to me, I tried the dark amethyst over spring purple and got DARK purple (I'm sure it's me!) and to date, the only one I haven't tried is Purple urple ... so guess I'll give it a try. I just want a nice medium purple .... how does GA Grape go? Dark??
Old 2010-09-18, 5:40am
ManBearPig

Turbo cobalt over BoroStix pink makes a nice purple.

Old 2010-09-18, 2:25pm

Try G.A.'s Purple Luster. I use it with clear frit some times for private customers who want a lighter irredescent purple. Other wise, I agree that Purple Urple is a good one.
Also Momka has striking colors with intense purples in them but it would be up the artist as to which is desired. I have also found that borostix is great for the color IF you want a dark blue purple.
TerryatMistyCreek Studio
Old 2010-09-19, 10:06am

I just started using cobalt 2 over coral blush, makes a nice purple. I've also layered cobalt over amazon bronze, for a darker purple.

Ashlea

Old 2010-09-20, 6:59am
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Sieber View Post
Try G.A.'s Purple Luster. I use it with clear frit some times for private customers who want a lighter irredescent purple. Other wise, I agree that Purple Urple is a good one.
Also Momka has striking colors with intense purples in them but it would be up the artist as to which is desired. I have also found that borostix is great for the color IF you want a dark blue purple.
TerryatMistyCreek Studio
How do you keep Purple Luster from going to baby poop? I have a heck of a time with it, even in areas I've encased.

|
|
Old 2010-09-21, 2:17pm
Type ZZZ personality

I've been enjoying the Glasstronics purple lately.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2010-09-21, 5:10pm

Crazy Woman had my answer!

I love the borostix Spring Purple with either Alchemys Grape or Violet over, it's so nice - personally I make flowers but the effect is awesome!
Old 2010-11-30, 3:07pm

Amber purple if you can strike it in the torch just right. Small neutral flame in the "cool" part of the flame. Bring it to a nice glow; don't cook the crap out of it.
Old 2010-11-30, 3:34pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticstudio View Post
I've been enjoying the Glasstronics purple lately.
I thought Glasstronics was no longer in biz or at least that part of the company....what purple is it?
Old 2010-11-30, 6:32pm
Borovangelist

Winship was selling a stash a while back and I folks (myself included) got some then. It's nice, but I find it kind of boily. The Wisteria was a bit more forgiving.

|
|
Old 2010-11-30, 6:59pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Default Stop fighting the colors that boil

I love the crayons but for years didn't use them because of the boiling. Finally, finally I 'took the bull by the horns' and forced myself to very consciously work them further back in the flame. And now I never hesitate to use them.

Glass flows; go with the flow.

Old 2010-11-30, 9:56pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
How do you keep Purple Luster from going to baby poop? I have a heck of a time with it, even in areas I've encased.
Heat it up so it goes clear, let it cool, strike it. I actually like to kiln strike it when I can. But, for some reason, if you put it into the kiln clear, it doesn't do much. You have to strike it to yellow or amber, then put it into the kiln.

As with all striking colors, it's easier to develop color without encasing it.

Old 2010-12-01, 6:55am
Borovangelist

thanks!

|
|
Old 2010-12-01, 8:30am

we carry the glasstronics stuff. we have the dark and light green from them too. the green is great for deep encasement. best green out there for that.

as far as reactive purple......Alaska Night from Momka, Alaskan Thunder from NS, as well as Plum Kush and Krazy. For straight up purple, Momka's Obsidian is nice.

Old 2010-12-01, 9:46am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR Dave View Post
we carry the glasstronics stuff. we have the dark and light green from them too. the green is great for deep encasement. best green out there for that.

as far as reactive purple......Alaska Night from Momka, Alaskan Thunder from NS, as well as Plum Kush and Krazy. For straight up purple, Momka's Obsidian is nice.
Dave ... where are your site can I see Glasstronics colors?

Also, Momka's site says Alaska Night and Obsidian are both blue .... do you get purple from them and if so, how?
Old 2010-12-01, 10:17am

They are a deep blue. I get purple after striking with Alaska Night. Obsidian is like Amethyst

Here's a link to the glasstronics bars

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/advan...gdksr4p35ompi6

Old 2010-12-01, 10:51am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR Dave View Post
They are a deep blue. I get purple after striking with Alaska Night. Obsidian is like Amethyst

Here's a link to the glasstronics bars

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/advan...gdksr4p35ompi6
Crud ... I just placed my order yesterday!!
Old 2010-12-03, 2:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWCGlass View Post
^^^ it's not you.

as long as you think blue is purple, there are lots of great boro purples.

WYSIWYG purple, no. Sorry. I don't think there is.

I also think so.