Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-21, 6:53am
Lover of all things color

Just got my first order of Devardi and I must say, no one ever talked about the shape of these rods. They are nasty, oddly shaped, bumpy and bubbly. Not round at all and cut all different lengths. I guess you get what you pay for. I just hope it melts half way decent. Going to try them today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-11-21, 8:45am
Live and Let Live

The About page on their website states this clearly in the 3rd paragraph, as well as a host of other info. There is a lot of good information on that page, including tips about the working properties of the glass, which I'd enourage anyone to read before buying or melting.

QUOTE ...the rods can be irregular in shape rather than uniform. This does not affect the quality. The rods just don’t look as straight as other, more commercial brands. You will also find some of the rods tend to be thicker or thinner than what you may be accustomed to. Each batch will have a variety of very thin, average and thick rods, usually ranging from 6mm to 10mm thickness. And the lengths range from 6-13 inches. The only way to keep prices low is to sell the glass in these sizes.

Old 2009-11-21, 9:10am

Lisa, that wasn't meant as an attack but they should have just stated that all the rods are irregular, lumpy, misshapen and dirty. I read all that and clearly didn't expect quite the mess I got. Of course they are shocky, when they are that lumpy you can just about guess that they weren't mixed properly or pulled properly.

Now to try them.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-11-21, 10:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Lisa, that wasn't meant as an attack but they should have just stated that all the rods are irregular, lumpy, misshapen and dirty. I read all that and clearly didn't expect quite the mess I got. Of course they are shocky, when they are that lumpy you can just about guess that they weren't mixed properly or pulled properly.

Now to try them.

it was mentioned in this thread about the sizes and shapes.

Handpulled glass can vary a great deal in appearance. Devardi varies a great deal. I'm sure they could go though and separate them out into various diameters and sell them that way, but then it would cost more. I'm willing to put up with it. I've only gotten one really curved rod, and I've also learned, as I posted earlier, that for me it seems like the thicker rods are less shocky than the thinner rods.
Old 2009-11-21, 11:44am

I've ordered several times and have never gotten dirty rods, I've been happy to get the assortments and it's been my experience also, the thicker rods are less problematic than you'd think. I've had a couple of wonky looking rods but they melted the same as all the others.
There is alot of helpful information in the 18 pages of the thread. That's what everyone is doing here......helping each other. Good luck with the glass.
Old 2009-11-21, 1:20pm

Hehehehehe!!!!
I really enjoy this thread?

Nell

[url= "
href="
ref=profile&id=1617182017" target="_blank">Facebook

[
Old 2009-11-21, 1:59pm

Well, the black worked up wonderfully but when I tried to warm up the sky blue it just kept blowing up. My arms are only so long and I had it out as far as I could reach. Tried preheating them and that didn't work either. Does anyone preanneal these rods in a kiln? If so what kind of schedule would one use?

I tried five other colors and they all just kept exploding, exactly what I expected would happen. Guess I need to get one of their rod holders so I can preheat them on my kiln.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-11-21, 2:24pm

Jan there are a bunch of videos on You Tube, about how to work this glass.Hope that helps.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-11-21, 2:34pm

Thanks Nell, I had watched them prior to buying. I think all hand pulled rods are a bit shocky. It usually just makes me more determine to make it work. However, I only get to torch on the weekends for about three hours each day so my time is very valuable to me.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-11-21, 2:48pm

Hi Jan, as I replied earlier you've got 18 pages of help here and many very nice people. Alot of us preheat our rods, many don't. I use a George Foreman grill, simply because I don't use it for anything else. LOL. I have all but eliminated shockiness issues. If you are still having problems despite everything you've tried. Contact the Devardi people for help. Everyone raves about their customer service.
Old 2009-11-21, 2:48pm

Maybe use a warming plate, or even a George Forman Grill.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-11-21, 2:49pm

LOL Babyfirefly, you snuck in on me there. We must have typed in stereo. Said same things. ROFL

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-11-21, 2:59pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Well, the black worked up wonderfully but when I tried to warm up the sky blue it just kept blowing up. My arms are only so long and I had it out as far as I could reach. Tried preheating them and that didn't work either. Does anyone preanneal these rods in a kiln? If so what kind of schedule would one use?

I tried five other colors and they all just kept exploding, exactly what I expected would happen. Guess I need to get one of their rod holders so I can preheat them on my kiln.
I use a curling iron stove for any "suspect" rods and it works great. You can get them at beauty supply stores for around $35. You can use the top to preheat murrini or keep components warm. I've had this one for several years. (If my kiln is on, I just pop the rods into the kiln to warm up.)

http://texasbeautysupplies.com/ann5527.html

Old 2009-11-21, 3:24pm

dang girl, that's a great idea, thanks for the pic..... Bye-bye George Foreman!!!
Old 2009-11-21, 3:50pm
Remember to keep smiling

Hi everyone stop by to catch up on Devardi tech.... I see some really great beads. I luv working with Devardi their color choices are awesome, everytime I place a order I spend at least an hour trying to make up my mind. I want them all........LOL

SRA#P109
Old 2009-11-21, 5:03pm
Bigger, longer, and uncut

The sky blue behaved badly for me today. I tuck the business end of the rod under my kiln door to preheat. Ten minutes seems to be sufficient. The sky blue snapped off four inches from the end. That rarely happens. I'll try it again tomorrow.

I ordered the semi-opaque and opaque pink. I had tried the semi-opaque version some months back. It really devitrified and foamed; however, this batch doesn't devit on me. The rods are still as cranky, though, even with preheating and working in a cooler flame.

It does seem that the very thick rods aren't shocky with enough preheating.

Sorry, I won't have any pictures. I use Devardi for the huge beads I use in fan pulls, so they're pretty boring.

Old 2009-11-21, 5:51pm

I currently use a crock pot full of vermiculite on high and it seems to work well. I am going to set up my kiln as soon as I have a spare moment (I have to re arrange some things in the basement to set it up where I want it so I will need a couplr hours lol). I had issues with the semi opaque pink, the first rod I tried, but now that I have been using it a lot more those issues have mostly disappeared. I think like everything else there is a learning curve, and I also think that at this price and with the yummy colors and just the feel of this glass I am willing to lose the occasional rod and make pretty frit out of it.

Old 2009-11-21, 6:07pm

Just a tad bit off topic but hubby bought a George Foreman and I hate it, the thing smells like plastic every time we use it and it ruins the food. I bought a hot place at Walmart for $15 some time ago so I'll use that. But that Thompson rod warmer is a must have for me, hey my last name is Thompson! Gotta have it, where does one get the "Thompson" Rod Warmer?

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-11-21, 6:41pm

Jan, Look right under the picture Shawnette posted. She posted a link for you.
Old 2009-11-21, 7:32pm

Oh my gosh baby, your right. My brain made decisions based on the photo and thought that she was showing one thing and talking about another. Interesting that I got nothing when trying to Goggle it.
Thanks so much, going to buy one now.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2009-11-22, 9:18am

Default Baby Firefly beads

Baby Firefly Beads:
I am posting these beads for Baby Firefly. She has a little trouble with the computer learning curve, so I am posting for her. Hopefully after I post the pics, she will chime in with some comments. Babyfiirefly: If I missed any, re-send via my email.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-11-22, 9:39am

Nell, you're the best and I promise, when Minnesota winter starts for real, I will master this. Ok gang, here's what I did.
1st 2 pics... Gaffer chalcedony frit over high density black
2nd lavender ends, amber center, applied chalcedny frit, clear overwrap around the center
the next 3 red beads are Tranparent sunset red (a fav) with black ends silver stringer and orange and red dots.
Medium opaque brown/ dk marine blue green transparent center with silver stringer
Last bead is ...bummin me out cause it's so pretty but doesn't show, LOL Anyway intense black ends, transparent purple center with handmade murrini, silver stringer

Again, thanks to Nells generosity I am able to show you guys my work. !! Love Ya Nell
Old 2009-11-22, 10:04am
Silver Hogs/Tool Junkies

Very nice Holly!!

Jack

Old 2009-11-22, 10:05am

Oops, looks like I posted two pics the same. OH well, I am very happy I could do this for you. And I am totally impressed with your handmade murrini Baby Firefly.

Nell

[url= "
href="

[
Old 2009-11-22, 2:57pm

Ok on the misfire Nell, Jack your work is wonderful, thank you, for the compliment.!
Old 2009-11-23, 6:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedancer View Post
Baby Firefly Beads:
I am posting these beads for Baby Firefly. She has a little trouble with the computer learning curve, so I am posting for her. Hopefully after I post the pics, she will chime in with some comments. Babyfiirefly: If I missed any, re-send via my email.

Baby Firefly,
Great beads! You are sure making that Reichenbach Chaledony sing! Jim
Old 2009-11-23, 5:39pm

Encased Devardi frit beads, the frit is handmade and they are encased with Devardi clear. The orange spacers are also Devardi.

I have a bunch more but my camera battery died after the fourth set and I don't have time to edit anymore tonight, I have to take my daughter to ballet.

Old 2009-11-24, 5:35am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
I use a curling iron stove for any "suspect" rods and it works great. You can get them at beauty supply stores for around $35. You can use the top to preheat murrini or keep components warm. I've had this one for several years.
What a GREAT idea! Thank you so much for the info! I'll go get one today!

I also want to chime in and say I have NEVER gotten dirty or oily glass from Devardi. It makes me doubt the truthfulness of the original post.

This glass takes the time it takes to preheat in the flame - rushing will always shatter it. If you do not preheat or wait at the end of your flame until it begins to turn color and advance slowly it will go shocky. I had the same attitude when I started using it (hurry up, time is precious) but now that I do take the time I almost NEVER have any shock or shatter.
Old 2009-11-24, 7:41am
I fart diamonds

I've received dirty glass and rocky glass. No big deal. I've also received dirty glass from other suppliers and I'm 99% positive that everyone has at some point. That's why a lot of people run new glass through a cycle in their dishwasher. I just wipe mine down with an alcohol or glass cleaner wipe before I use it. I learned to expect dirty rods long before Devardi popped on to the scene. It's great when the glass is spotless, but I expect to have to clean it before I use it anyway.

There's really no need to keep going back and forth. If someone has a not so great experience, we don't all need to chime in and imply that "Well, that's never happened to me so you must be lying." All it does is just perpetuate this completely unnecessary "battle" that really doesn't need to exist. We are all in different locations, different environments, working with different rods and we all have different habits so some of us are bound to experience something different at some point.

If those of us who like a particular product (and not just Devardi) would hold back on retaliatory remarks, eventually the ruckus will go away. You can't argue if no one is arguing back, right?

Last edited by shawnette; 2009-11-24 at 9:13am. Reason: i before e except after c
Old 2009-11-24, 7:59am

I clean the rods that I am going to use at the beginning of every session at the torch. Between the dust and the animal hair they all get dirty regularly anyway.

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi