Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-23, 8:21am

Not really to change the subject-but I had severe exploding rods last night! Not it was not Devardi-only lost about an inch of it-but a Vetro odd. I had not used that color in about a century and was not thinking about it being shocky. I lost over 1/2 rod in about 3 seconds all over my work area and in my kitchen!
I played with glass a lot this weekend. Used all of my SOP light pink. I love that color! I made simple spacers with it and put one of The Frit Girl's pink blends on it. Looks great (I think)
Try to post pics of them tonight.
Old 2010-08-23, 10:51am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Wow, I sure don't want to experience that. So far I always dab in and out (on other brands of glass) and I haven't endured that. I've read some horror stories though...

Can I ask, when you have a rod shock like that, are you taking it directly into the flame, or do you dab it in and out of the flame at the start? Does it matter? Do you think it fractured when last used, and went shattering when heated the next time?
Old 2010-08-23, 11:34pm
Remember to keep smiling

I found out the name of this blue SOP-Violet Blue Sorry it took me so long to get back with the info.

Name:  081710squirel5.JPG
Views: 1597
Size:  47.3 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRA#P109
Old 2010-08-24, 4:38am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you Paula, it's so beautiful, and on your critter is darling made up in it.
Old 2010-08-24, 5:48am

Kristina-it was a new rod. I always wave at the top of the flame for any rod. It actually started changing colors before it blew up. It is just the nature of that color and I did not stick it on top of the kiln to warm it up.
Old 2010-08-24, 7:25am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thanks - yikes! I have caused shattering and had a few hot splinters flick my arm, but never a rod shattering!
Old 2010-08-30, 1:10pm
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Default New Glass Shipment

I have not been around for some time.. Just popped in to say "HI", and see all the wonderful beads everyone has made.. WOW.. Beautiful beads everyone..

Just got the News Letter... The new glass should be in around the 14th.. Plus a few days for Natasha to get it sorted and listed.. I can't wait.. Some new colors, along with the violets and purples and some of the other sold out colors.. More Lipstick Pink and the Indian Marbled glass too.. I like to pull my own stringers, but there will be stringers and spacer beads in this shipment too.. More new Presses and other toys (tools) too.. I'm not sure how I am going to decide what I just can't live without and what is just going to have to wait until my next order.. As it is I have 60LB of glass on a wish list.. OH what to do????

Kristina... How is the book coming???

Hope everyone had a great summer...

Hugs Houkje

Big Hugs, We all need them...
Old 2010-08-30, 2:32pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hi Houjke! The book is well underway. I am now editing, and editing It will be about 90 pages. Lots of great feedback and people are emailing to get word when it is ready, so BOC should benefit.

Once I get the BOC workbook done THEN I can start playing with the content for OUR workbook! Hopefully it will also be well received!

I agree with you - I can't wait for the new shipment! I always feel like it has been to long!
Old 2010-09-01, 7:58am

Hi Kristina... Can't wait for the book, and it goes to such a great cause too.. Do I understand this right, you are going to make a second book for the Devardi colors too??? That would be so great...
Summer has been crazy around here, and I haven't gotten a lot of time on the torch.. 2 more weekends and things will slow down, and then I will get to play more.. LOL.. By the look of the number of posts, I think everyone had a bit of a crazy summer too... Hope everyone had a great summer... Sure do miss everyone though..

Old 2010-09-01, 1:40pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Yes, once I get the BOC Critter Tutorial Workbook done I hope to create a basic Devardi Workbook for the Hothead Torch. It would be useful to surface mix torches too, but would cover the basics from a Hothead.

It would be neat to have a section on basic tutorials and a section showing different people's work too, if any of you are willing!

I'd really appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions. What would you like to see included in a Devardi Workbook?
Old 2010-09-01, 2:08pm
Remember to keep smiling

Kristina the Devardi workbook you are contiplating sounds good. Would love to read about any HH tips you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Yes, once I get the BOC Critter Tutorial Workbook done I hope to create a basic Devardi Workbook for the Hothead Torch. It would be useful to surface mix torches too, but would cover the basics from a Hothead.

It would be neat to have a section on basic tutorials and a section showing different people's work too, if any of you are willing!

I'd really appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions. What would you like to see included in a Devardi Workbook?

SRA#P109
Old 2010-09-05, 8:47am
Slave to the Flame

Me too Kristina!

Our Website!

Our Latest ITEMS

Supplies

Our BLOG
Old 2010-09-05, 9:00am
StudioMarcy

One more idea...after I use a thick rod, I heat more of it and pull it out to a smaller size. That way it can go into the flame right away the next time and the ambient heat will slowly heat up the thicker section. I'm excited about the 14th!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-09-12, 5:51pm

Here is a small set using the frog green. The hint of orangey yellow is the mango (one of my favorites).

Old 2010-09-13, 6:23am

Sonja those are pretty! Love the colors and the reactions!
Old 2010-09-13, 8:23am

The shipment has hit a delay. Now it is not due until 9/21.
Old 2010-09-13, 11:09am

glad I stocked up the last time!

Old 2010-09-14, 4:50am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Here is a small set using the frog green. The hint of orangey yellow is the mango (one of my favorites).

Beautiful work Sonja! Wow!

Can't wait for Christmas in September! I sure do love all the new things that come in and the childhood style wait that drives us all crazy each time!
Old 2010-09-18, 7:58am
Hot Glass Neophyte

So how many of you are going to try the new stringers?
Old 2010-09-18, 9:30am
Just Getting Started

Default New Stringers

I shall-- I do not thk I will be buying any beads, though.
Old 2010-09-18, 10:34am

Hi too everyone.. Hope your summer was fun...
Sonja:: Beautiful color combo, Beautiful beads...
Only a few more days to wait... I am getting so excited....
I pull my own stringers.. But if the beads are marked with the color they were made with, then I may get them as a color reference...

Old 2010-09-18, 11:04am
Hot Glass Neophyte

"if the beads are marked with the color they were made with, then I may get them as a color reference... "

Now THATS a great idea! It will be neat to see how many colors they offer in the beads.
Old 2010-09-18, 9:49pm

WAHOO.... Handstands and cart wheels
This is a message from Natasha on the web site::
"The new glass has arrived. It should be available by Sept. 22nd. We will send out a newsletter shortly with the exact time and page link. Thank you everyone for waiting so patiently. I know it's hard to do. "
I think I'm worse than a kid at Christmas, when a new glass shipment comes in.... Also there should be some new toys (tools) in the near future too...

Old 2010-09-18, 9:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
"if the beads are marked with the color they were made with, then I may get them as a color reference... "

Now THATS a great idea! It will be neat to see how many colors they offer in the beads.
I would like to have a bead of all the colors... That way I can see at a glance what color I should get with what rod.. If the beads do not have the colors marked, I think I will make a set of my own... Small spacers with a tag for the number and color...

Old 2010-09-19, 4:38am
Hot Glass Neophyte

3 days and counting!

I have been cutting the end off each new rod with tag for a color sample. I keep them sorted by glass type (opaque/SOP/Transp).

Some colors do change when I work them on this Hothead though, so it would be neat to have them connected somehow... any ideas?
Old 2010-09-19, 1:24pm

I think a plain spacer bead with a nub of glass is a great idea. I think I will put together a chart for me too. Maybe on a piece of foam board. Thanks for the idea!
Old 2010-09-20, 11:28am

I was using the Light trans cranberry last night. Did anyone have trouble getting it to strike red? It came out of the kiln a orange. Pretty orange-but definitely not red!
Old 2010-09-21, 4:50pm

Default New Glass Newsletter

New glass newsletter came out yesterday..Has any one else had a chance to look at the new glass colors???? My wish list is at about 64LBs now.. That will be over 3 boxes to Canada...

Old 2010-09-22, 5:11am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Gosh Houkje! Leave a little for the rest of us! Sounds like they will have to use a train to get your order to you! JUST kidding! How fun!

I think I will get the full collection of stringers, plus way to much myself! The new graphite marble makers seem neat too!

Has anyone used an aluminum marver?
Old 2010-09-22, 8:23am

I keep trying to prioritize my list, but it just keeps growing! I have an aluminum marver. I just use it to hold frit though. I just the graphite one on my torch most of the time.
I think we are all going to have a lot of fun!

Tags
devardi