LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-03-27, 11:18am
They see me rollin'...

It's a beautiful morning here in Montana! Supposed to be in the mid-60's today, and it will be in the 50's or 60's for at least the next week.

I have a question about what to do with the roof on the inside of the shed. It's needs to be insulated, I'm sure. So what do you all do? Put insulation up against the roof and then make a ceiling by putting something like plywood over or under the rafters?

I have a big roll of Reflectix and some rigid foam board insulation left over from when we were living in the RV. I am planning on using some of it in the chicken coop, but I might have enough Reflectix to line the inside of the roof.

Also, I was going to use stone wool insulation like Pat/eregel used in her shed. Does anyone know where to buy it? I'm having trouble finding it.

Another question! I had asked S Bar S to cut a hole in the wall for my ventilation. They forgot, apparently. Not a big deal...but I'm also thinking of adding a couple of small windows. So I need to cut holes for those, too. (The smallest windows they offered were 2 x 3, and they were kind of expensive, so I just got 2 windows...well, later I asked them to add a 3rd window, but they forgot that too).

I am a total noob at this stuff...I also don't have much in the way of tools. I did buy a nice jigsaw from a guy on Craig's List. I'm thinking maybe I need a circular saw, too? For cutting straight cuts, like in the wall for a window, and cutting sheets of plywood or paneling?

So to cut a round hole for the ventilation, I just drill a hole and then use the jigsaw to cut the rest of the hole, right?

Every time I read on the internet about how to install a window, I run into terminology that i don't know.

BTW, the little Mille Fleur chick is doing much better today. No more signs of pasty butt (which can kill a chick if not treated). She has a name now; her name is Grendel and the other Mille Fleur is Beowulf. Oh, and Buffy is now Brunhilde. Buffy is just too unoriginal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-03-27 at 11:21am.
Old 2013-03-27, 3:52pm
Cancer SUCKS!

So fun reading your thread. I check here often to see how things are progressing. Not sure on the insulation, but I would think styrofoam type for the roof and walls would be good. I'm no expert though.

As far as what to do with the walls after they are insulated. We had a major flood in the basement where my studio is and instead of putting sheetrock back up (scared of another flood) hubby bought thin plywood/sub floor material. For the life of me I can't remember the name of it. He put it up on the walls and then I primed and painted it. I love it, there are seams, but that doesn't bother me.

Old 2013-03-27, 4:40pm
Lover of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post
So fun reading your thread. I check here often to see how things are progressing. Not sure on the insulation, but I would think styrofoam type for the roof and walls would be good. I'm no expert though.

As far as what to do with the walls after they are insulated. We had a major flood in the basement where my studio is and instead of putting sheetrock back up (scared of another flood) hubby bought thin plywood/sub floor material. For the life of me I can't remember the name of it. He put it up on the walls and then I primed and painted it. I love it, there are seams, but that doesn't bother me.
Ulay.

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2013-03-27, 5:25pm
Loving learning

The chicks are adorable! So glad the maybe sick one is doing better.
I'm in such a different climate, I don't know about the insulation. I bought a roll type but the trusses were spaced differently so DH just went & bought some rigid foam board & put that up for me, nailing it to the trusses so there is a 4-6"? gap between the insulation & the roof. But I'm not dealing with the cold you are. I haven't done anything to the walls yet.
But it sure looks good, really nice sized too!

PS I can't imagine using a circular saw that way but maybe that's just me. DH says you can use it, or a jig saw, or a router. Drill a hole so you have a place to start. He also said are you good with putting in the 2x4 frame for the window?
Have you called where you got the shed from, to mention that they didn't put the extra window in, and maybe they'll come out & do it?
Old 2013-03-27, 5:50pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Hopeful Journeys View Post

I'll keep that in mind! I already bought paneling for the walls today (sort of a light beige color), and there is already a subfloor which is ready for tile or whatever (I paid extra for an insulated floor). But I still need to figure out something for the ceiling.

Thanks!

-Patti
Old 2013-03-27, 6:00pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
The chicks are adorable! So glad the maybe sick one is doing better.
I'm in such a different climate, I don't know about the insulation. I bought a roll type but the trusses were spaced differently so DH just went & bought some rigid foam board & put that up for me, nailing it to the trusses so there is a 4-6"? gap between the insulation & the roof. But I'm not dealing with the cold you are. I haven't done anything to the walls yet.
But it sure looks good, really nice sized too!

PS I can't imagine using a circular saw that way but maybe that's just me. DH says you can use it, or a jig saw, or a router. Drill a hole so you have a place to start. He also said are you good with putting in the 2x4 frame for the window?
Have you called where you got the shed from, to mention that they didn't put the extra window in, and maybe they'll come out & do it?
Good point...I should measure the space between the studs. Home Depot definitely doesn't have the stone wool insulation, but I'm still hopeful that I will find some.

Yeah, I think the jigsaw will work find for cutting holes in walls. Home Depot has 24" x 24" windows for $71 (nice low E ones) but I don't have a clue how to install them. So no, I don't know how to install a 2 x 4 window frame. Maybe I'll look on youtube? I am a visual person and written instructions make me go cross-eyed, especially if I don't know all the terminology.

I really want to figure this out, though! I'm going to build a chicken coop too and it will also need windows.

I would also like to check out the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. It is a store where they sell leftover building materials. I might find windows there, or something I can use for the chicken coop.

BTW, I'm still kind of worried about Grendel (the Mille Fleur). She seems to stand around half-asleep a lot...she's so tiny, and the pasty butt was probably hard on her little body.

It's so cute...both of the Mille Fleurs like to tuck themselves under the bigger chicks, as if the bigger ones were their mother. I was afraid that the bigger ones would pick on them, but they've all been getting along fine so far.

-Patti

Oh yeah--S Bar S apologized for forgetting the 3rd window, but they didn't charge me for it at least.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-03-27 at 6:03pm.
Old 2013-03-27, 6:03pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

For the ceiling/roof, you should install the ceiling first and then lay the insulation on the "floor" of the ceiling, if that makes sense. You do not put insulation against the roof. Make sure there are vents in the roof to allow air to flow. Here, the soffits are vented and the peak of the roof has a vent along the length of it. For a shed, having vents on the ends, which it appears to have, may be sufficient or you may need to add a roof vent. You want the hot air to have a way to get out and since it rises, you want the vent close to the peak.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2013-03-27, 6:07pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
For the ceiling/roof, you should install the ceiling first and then lay the insulation on the "floor" of the ceiling, if that makes sense. You do not put insulation against the roof. Make sure there are vents in the roof to allow air to flow. Here, the soffits are vented and the peak of the roof has a vent along the length of it. For a shed, having vents on the ends, which it appears to have, may be sufficient or you may need to add a roof vent. You want the hot air to have a way to get out and since it rises, you want the vent close to the peak.
Yes, that does make sense. Thanks! And there are indeed 2 vents up near the peak of the roof, one on each side.

So, do people normally attach the ceiling to the underside of the rafters or lay them on top of the rafters? Or is it just personal preference?

-Patti
Old 2013-03-27, 6:15pm
Loving learning

Well, my foam insulation boards ARE my ceiling~
Old 2013-03-27, 6:16pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicfire View Post
Yes, that does make sense. Thanks! And there are indeed 2 vents up near the peak of the roof, one on each side.

So, do people normally attach the ceiling to the underside of the rafters or lay them on top of the rafters? Or is it just personal preference?
Underside of the rafters - just like in your house. Then the insulation lays between the rafters.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2013-03-27, 7:11pm
They see me rollin'...

Thanks...I had sort of figured that out after I asked.

I'm busy watching videos on youtube of the best way to insulate the roof. Looks like there are lots of different methods.

Eileen, that certainly is simple! Did you staple it to the rafters?

One video from the UK recommends lining the entire shed with the UK equivalent of Reflectix. They just stapled it to the studs and covered the seams with foil tape. Of course, that is their product, so they naturally promote it for that.

-Patti
Old 2013-03-27, 8:05pm
Loving learning

Yes, to the bottom of the trusses. My roof isn't very high, and I wanted the height visually to make it look bigger in there. It isn't as pretty as a real ceiling though, and you might need more insulation that those insulating foam boards provide.
Old 2013-03-31, 4:54pm
They see me rollin'...

Just a quick update. I bought the sheets of paneling and I think I have found a place that sells the stone/mineral wood insulation (I don't want to deal with fiberglass--just thinking about it makes me itchy!). I'm going to go there tomorrow. Once I get the insulation I can start working on the inside walls. Yay!

I also went to the Habitat for Humanity "Restore" and found a few odds and ends for the shed, like a nice little glass light fixture, and a wood cabinet that I think will be good for storing sheet glass.

Since I couldn't really get started on the inside yet, I decided to start priming the trim on the outside of the shed. I did the hardest part first; the front where the door is. I can see that painting the shed is going to take a while!

The chicks are doing really well. Grendel continues to improve and I think she's going to be ok. I think more and more that the Bantam (now called Demeter) might be a rooster. She/he keeps play-fighting the other roosters. So that would be 4 roosters. Sigh.

Well, I couldn't resist. I really wanted more than 1 Easter Egger, so went to the other Shipton's thinking that they might have some. Turns out that they are a much bigger store and they had something like 20 breeds! And even better, almost all are females, so hopefully no more roosters!

I showed a lot of restraint and only got 2; one Speckled Sussex and one light Brahma. They didn't have any Easter Eggers, but the Speckled Sussex looks a lot like our EE, so close enough I guess! In fact, our EE might actually be a Gold Laced Wyandotte. No way to know, really, until she starts laying eggs. If she is an EE the eggs will be blue, green or pink.

Anyway, they are now named Sango and Zazzu. So that makes 14 chicks, but 4 don't count because they will hopefully be rehomed.

5 = 7 = 12 - 4 roosters + 2 = 10 = Chicken math!

-Patti

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-03-31 at 5:00pm.
Old 2013-03-31, 5:00pm
Loving learning

Sounds like things are moving right along!
I'm not sure if you need a workbench, but just in case ~
I used cabinet bases, and put a wide solid core door from the Habitat Restore over top of them for my bench. I actually have 3 cabinets on the back, backing two on the torch side, so I have covered storage underneath from the other side too, and the space on my "working side" between the cabinets is where I sit, so a space for my legs.

And I'm a little jealous about your hens!
Old 2013-03-31, 5:36pm
They see me rollin'...

That's a good idea! They did have a good selection of cabinets and doors.

I did get 2 very solid pieces of countertop that I want to use somehow. I will probably glue them down to something and use them as a good surface for pounding metal. They are hard as rock.

I do need a wooden workbench. I have 2 conference tables and 2 tables that were once an L-shaped computer desk. However, if I hammer metal on them everything on the table jumps around. I need something more stable. I think your cabinet/door idea would work!

Anyway, here are some chick pics! Terrible pics, I know, since they were under the heat lamp and I was just using my iPhone.

2 two newbies, Sango and Zazzu (Zazzu, the Light Brahma is on the left). Light Brahmas are really gorgeous when they grow up!

The 4 trouble-makers (aka roosters). Demeter (the dark one) is a Barred Rock Cochin. I can't believe how fast they can run! They just zoom around.

The 2 brownies (the larger one is the Easter Egger Nimue, and the smaller one is Sango the Speckled Sussex):

Chick huddle! That's Nimue on the right lying down, with Grendel and Beowulf on either side. See how tiny they are? I believe that's the Barred Rock in the corner (named Sable):

The front of the shed. I know it doesn't look like I did much, but there were so many edges!

My little cabinet. It says "Made in Denmark" on the back. I suspect that it was intended to hold a turntable and records? But it is just right for my little collection of sheet glass.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-03-31 at 5:52pm.
Old 2013-03-31, 5:52pm
Loving learning

I have something really close to that I bought at a Habitat Restore too! I have some of my glass in the upright section, and some cabinet drawers that we took the hardware off of on the shelves, holding copper wire, etc.
Old 2013-03-31, 5:58pm

Why not vent thru the window. Thats what hubby did for me. That way if I ever decided not to torch anymore I don't have a hole in the roof. He just got plywood draw a circle around the pipe where my fan is and inserted thru the plywood,and place the plywood in the window with the fan,then attached the 10" in diameter tubing to my hood and then to the fan in the window. Got the tape silvery stuff (not duck tape) that heat and air techs use to attache .I can open the window when I want to torch or close it when I don't. Course my hood vents from the side. He then attache wire to the tubing and hung the wire on heavy hooks in the ceiling to support it.
I have a window across the room for intake air. And don't have to worry about cutting holes in the roof. Just idea. My window are 36" wide.He also put the electrical plug close to the window , so I didn't have bend to turn it on.
We put all our plugs up counter height. Easy to reach . I have 2 -20amp plugs for my kilns
We put 100 amps in the building. That way I had plenty of power.
Love your little chicks. and your new studio. Have fun .
Janet

Last edited by Janetlee; 2013-03-31 at 6:03pm. Reason: more info
Old 2013-03-31, 5:59pm
They see me rollin'...

Great minds think alike!

That's a good idea for using old drawers!

They have a lot of old windows, too. I might get a couple for the chicken coop. I just don't feel that confident about installing them, though.

I really wish that S Bar S had managed to get that 3rd window installed. I would really like more light in the shed. But if I'm going to put another window or 2 in there I need to do it now. Maybe if I watch some youtube videos I'll feel more confident about installing windows...

-Patti
Old 2013-03-31, 6:14pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janetlee View Post
Why not vent thru the window. Thats what hubby did for me. That way if I ever decided not to torch anymore I don't have a hole in the roof. He just got plywood draw a circle around the pipe where my fan is and inserted thru the plywood,and place the plywood in the window with the fan,then attached the 10" in diameter tubing to my hood and then to the fan in the window. Got the tape silvery stuff (not duck tape) that heat and air techs use to attache .I can open the window when I want to torch or close it when I don't. Course my hood vents from the side. He then attache wire to the tubing and hung the wire on heavy hooks in the ceiling to support it.
I have a window across the room for intake air. And don't have to worry about cutting holes in the roof. Just idea. My window are 36" wide.He also put the electrical plug close to the window , so I didn't have bend to turn it on.
We put all our plugs up counter height. Easy to reach . I have 2 -20amp plugs for my kilns
We put 100 amps in the building. That way I had plenty of power.
Love your little chicks. and your new studio. Have fun .
Janet
Well, I was actually going to run it through the wall. I used to just stick my vent hose out the window back in Missouri, when I had my studio set up in the basement. I thought it would be nice to have it permanently set up so it vented through the wall. I just have to cut a hole in the wall and in the paneling. I also found a drier vent cover at the Restore that is just the right size, so I won't get rain or snow in the vent tubing.

I have 40 amps to the shed, and I've been wondering if that was enough. I think when the electrician comes to hook it up to the house power I should ask him to add some amperage. Better to have more than you need than not enough!

Thanks for your input!
-Patti

-Patti
Old 2013-03-31, 6:25pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Hi Patti. It's looking great! Just a thought ... Couldn't you go back to S Bar S and ask them to please install that 3rd window as you originally ordered for the original price they quoted/didnt charge you - as it is not your fault they forgot? Love your chicks!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2013-03-31, 6:30pm
Melody of Glass

I've been following your story. The place looks amazing! I had no idea there were so many kinds of chickens, either. Looks like you've got everything lined up to have your little slice of heaven

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-03-31, 6:39pm
Loving learning

I'm with Amanda, ask them what they can do for you since they didn't do the building the way you ordered it.
DH said to look on your kiln and it should tell you how many amps it draws, then add more for lighting & anything else you might be plugging in (heater, ac?) and add a little for something you haven't thought of or might be adding. He said make a list of everything & show it to the electrician before he starts work. (DH played an electrician in the Navy and then after her retired from his main job for a while)
Old 2013-03-31, 7:03pm
They see me rollin'...

I might do that, Amanda. At the least, one of their construction guys might do it free-lance.

Thanks, Eileen! I didn't know that I could look at the kiln for the amps. I'll have to do that.

And thank you too, Caliente! I like your handle. I have to pinch myself every day when I look out the windows at the gorgeous hills.

-Patti
Old 2013-03-31, 7:17pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
I've been following your story. The place looks amazing! I had no idea there were so many kinds of chickens, either. Looks like you've got everything lined up to have your little slice of heaven
There are so many kinds!! When I walked into the other Shipton's I just about had a cow. Tractor Supply only has 5-6 bins of chicks, but Shipton's had a whole section of the store that just had bin after bin of chicks! Also turkeys and ducks.

Luckily they didn't have a minimum that you had to buy. Tractor Supply makes you buy at least 6. But if I had brought home 6 more my daughter would have keeled me! And I would have to build a huuuuge coop to house them all!

-Patti
Old 2013-04-01, 5:00am
Temptress

I'm currently staying out of both Shipton's and Tractor Supply because of you. I just know I'll end up with cute little chicks and no place to put them...yet...
Old 2013-04-02, 5:18am

I love the cabinet. It's perfect for glass storage. Great idea.
Old 2013-04-03, 5:46pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
I'm currently staying out of both Shipton's and Tractor Supply because of you. I just know I'll end up with cute little chicks and no place to put them...yet...

It's a sickness, I tell you!

They are so much fun though. It's so funny that Emily at first didn't want chickens at all, but now she thinks they're the best thing ever.

I had built a brooder out of 2 large boxes left over from our move. That was ok when we only had 7 little chicks. But those chicks grew and then we got more chicks. So she expanded it by adding 2 more boxes.

When some of them figured out that they could fly, it was her idea to flip up the side flaps and make it taller. Then I added 2 sticks for roosts for the bigger ones. Then she made a door so we could let them out occasionally and spend more time with them.

She has been very diligent about changing their water and filling their feeder. I do it sometimes, but she usually beats me to it. And she has researched all the breeds and created spreadsheets with all their names and breeds. lol

I'm not allowed to go to Shipton's or Tractor Supply anymore either.

-Patti
Old 2013-04-03, 6:08pm
They see me rollin'...

Ok, true confessions time...we had some time to kill yesterday (waiting for something to be fixed on our RV so we can sell it)...we were near Shipton's so we stopped in. And OMG, they actually had Easter Eggers. I absolutely love the one EE that we have (Nimue), and I really wanted a couple more of them. So we picked out 2. One has this amazing striped face (now named Jeckel) and the other one is more mousy and gray (I call her Heckel, but Emily wants to name her Hyde). lol

They are both supposed to be females. This is Jeckel:

Heckel/Hyde:

Here's a better pic of Sango, the Speckled Sussex we got the other day:

She's so pretty!!

And an updated shot of Grendel, the Mille Fleur who had pasty butt and was pretty sickly there for a while. She is doing so much better and has almost doubled in size. Now she is almost the size of a 3-4 day old normal chick (Mille Fleurs are Bantams and are much smaller). lol Her buddy Beowulf is extremely healthy and a bit bigger than her. They both still snuggle under the other chick's wings and it is adorable.

We've been reading that Mille Fleurs should really not be kept with bigger birds, so they may get their own little chicken coop eventually. Right now they're getting along great, though! Really, all the chicks seem to like each other. I hope it stays that way.

I think in the next day or so I am going to help this guy tear down his old shed and he's going to give me the wood for free. So hopefully I can use it to build a new coop that won't cost too much. That should be interesting. lol

Oh, and I got the insulation for the shed yesterday. To keep it on topic.

-Patti

Last edited by Magicfire; 2013-04-03 at 6:26pm.
Old 2013-04-03, 6:18pm
They see me rollin'...

BTW, Mille Fleurs are just gorgeous when they grow up!

http://www.google.com/search?q=Mille...w=1350&bih=619

-Patti
Old 2013-04-03, 6:23pm
They see me rollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsmom View Post
I love the cabinet. It's perfect for glass storage. Great idea.
Thank you. I can't wait to get everything set up in the shed. That's when the fun begins.

-Patti