Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-05, 7:30pm

Default Help with red glass and silver foil, please

I am trying to make a round bead of red glass with sparkles in itto make into a pendant as a Christmas present for my friend. Like a galaxy look. Does red not play well with silver foil? I keep getting liver colored red and poop. I tried to encase the red with clear before adding the foil, still got poop. Tried clear silver stringer, the red ate it. Would someone please share some hints and tips on how to do this? I made a pretty blue one but not a red one. Should I be using a transparent red, like a striking red? I have a rod of that and I think I have some red trans coming in on my order. I really need some hints and tips. Thanks in advance.
Sherry
Old 2011-12-05, 7:37pm
Fancy Mammal

Silver + red does give a poop color. To get silver you have to burnish the silver on, and then encase the bead, keeping the bead itself out of the flame.

You could also try using silver colored mica. With that you can either use it like above or put the silver mica on as the last step. The bead needs to be very hot when you put mica on, and can't go back in the flame with the mica (unless it is encased).
Old 2011-12-05, 7:46pm
Tweedle Dumb

I have been trying to make a bead like this one in red.

I've tried just about everything. I even found a red that was supposed to be less reactive with silver foil (sangre). No dice. I have to work it so cool to keep the silver foil intact, that it is all livery by the time I'm done because it's been overworked. I gave up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2011-12-05, 8:17pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I wonder..since transparent red is colored with copper, maybe try using copper foil underneath instead? Just a thought. Ooo, ya know, nothing burns out palladium. That stuff is really tough and can even be used in boro.

Last edited by FosterFire; 2011-12-06 at 11:18am.
Old 2011-12-05, 8:25pm

Layer clear over the silver first.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2011-12-05, 8:44pm
Glass-aholic

I agree with layering the clear. Or use palladium leaf. Less reactive with a higher tollarance for heat.

But I love putting silver on dark red glass! You can get basically a different version of SIS by using red purple, and you can get blues to blush around the transparent red glass where any silver balls up on it! I love it! One of my favorite little secret glass reactions that is not mentioned very much.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-12-05, 8:50pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

The reason that red + silver = poop is because red has sulfur in it, which chemically reacts with the silver.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-12-05, 9:41pm

Mica sounds interesting, I have some of that. No paladium though. I am going to try to make a clear bead, encase in silver foil, encase again. Then put some trans red on top. What da ya think. Will try that in the morning. Don't know if I have any red purple. Will look tomorrow. That sounds interesting, will have to give that a try. Well at least I am good at making poop. lol Will give update tom.
Old 2011-12-06, 5:09am
state-eternal change

Try silver dichro instead? make a stringer of it and put it on for sparkle, maybe.. not quite the look you're going for, but it would be a bit sparkly

Old 2011-12-06, 8:47am

I have some silcer dicro I think. I tried that yesterday and the dichro didn't show up on the bead. Perhaps I didn't use enough. Should I encase the dichro?
Old 2011-12-06, 8:48am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Pixie dust?

Roll red in pixie dust?

Old 2011-12-06, 11:31am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I agree with layering the clear. Or use palladium leaf. Less reactive with a higher tollarance for heat.

But I love putting silver on dark red glass! You can get basically a different version of SIS by using red purple, and you can get blues to blush around the transparent red glass where any silver balls up on it! I love it! One of my favorite little secret glass reactions that is not mentioned very much.
Do you use the red purple and silver to make the stringer and then use that on the trans red glass? That woulda really pretty.
Old 2011-12-06, 11:53am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I am so going to try this. Thanks Jaci!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-12-06, 3:24pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Just a thought: how about brass frit? The bubbles might be sparkly enough. Works well over striking red, yellow and orange bases

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-12-06, 5:04pm

I have brass wire, I think. Will that work?
Old 2011-12-06, 5:08pm

Erose, I tried the purple silvered stringer, but I used red opal glass, not the transparent red. It didn't turn out too good for me. I encased the bead after applying the stringer maybe I shouldn't have. I just saw where you said to use it over clear red. Will try that tom.
Thanks

I meant the red purple

Last edited by sherry m; 2011-12-06 at 5:36pm.
Old 2011-12-06, 5:21pm
Loving learning

Sherry, there is a tutorial about using brass on here, and I've also seen brass wire used in beads. You have to encase it well, and then when you heat it and the gases are created it makes bubbles in the encasing.
Make sure you're well ventilated. I think this should be the tutorial, if not just search for brass frit tutorial and it will come up.

This is it: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=139952

Last edited by Eileen; 2011-12-06 at 5:30pm.
Old 2011-12-06, 7:37pm
Glass-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
Do you use the red purple and silver to make the stringer and then use that on the trans red glass? That woulda really pretty.
You can put it on anything or just start with the red and add silver. You can fet blue tones and a sis effect really neat to play with.

Ps did not mean to imply it was good to get this effect... Just a side note on the silver vs red reaction

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2011-12-06 at 7:42pm.
Old 2011-12-06, 7:40pm
Glass-aholic

Omg... I just realized... You can use gold leaf if you have it. It won't react with the red and you will not know the difference once encased with red anyways...... You may need more gold leaf than foil if you dont have foil but start there if you have it! idk why I didn't think of this before...

Last edited by jaci; 2011-12-06 at 7:44pm.
Old 2011-12-06, 8:23pm

shoot, Jaci, I don't have any gold leaf. Wonder if I have any gold wire. hmmmm will have to go look. Thanks for the tips. Eileen, thanks for the link on the brass frit. I maybe able to nip some brass wire and get the same effect. Will see tomorrow.
Old 2011-12-06, 8:27pm
Loving learning

Sherry, if it doesn't work and you have time for the mail, I can send you some. I don't see why it wouldn't work though to nip tiny pieces making your own frit.
Old 2011-12-07, 8:14am

Thanks for the offer Eileen. I am going to try cutting the brass into tiny pieces.
Old 2011-12-07, 8:22am

Silver dichroic on clear is wonderful over red - then encase with clear. Amazing color! I've only tried it with 90coe, but loved, loved, loved the bead.

Barbara

Barbara
Old 2011-12-07, 9:20am

28676bhe, I may have some silver dichroic. Its 90 coe, but I have some Bulleye red. Will give that a try too. Everyone has been so helpful.

PS Barbara, do you have a stock number on the silver dichroic?
Old 2011-12-07, 12:38pm
Sucks at being nice

I use mica and it works out perfectly. If you need some let me know and I'll send some your way.

Old 2011-12-07, 1:10pm

Jeepinwelch,
I tried some silver mica and it covered up the red. Maybe I used too much. Did you encase the mica after putting it on the bead?
Old 2011-12-07, 2:20pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry m View Post
Jeepinwelch,
I tried some silver mica and it covered up the red. Maybe I used too much. Did you encase the mica after putting it on the bead?
Roll the bead in the mica right as you lose the orange glow. A little bit of mica goes a long way! Gently warm the bead up in the back of the flame then encase it completely. Perfect sparkles every time.

Old 2011-12-07, 6:02pm
Tacki

I had a customer a while back who was making a wizard of oz themed bracelet and wanted one to signify Dorothy's slippers. I couldn't get it to work with silver leaf even when encased in clear first. I used silver dichro like someone earlier suggested and encased in trans red (I can't remember if this was sangre or effetre).
Old 2011-12-07, 6:05pm
Loving learning

Oooo, shiny! (and very pretty too!)
Old 2011-12-07, 6:43pm

Beautiful bead Traci. Have to look for my silver dichro. I know I have some somewhere Jeepinwelch, will give the mica another go. Will try a post pics of my results. Ya'll have been so helpful and kind. Thanks so much to everyone.
Sherry