Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-15, 10:24am
Storm Queen

Hayley, I remember that 2.1 bead from when it first came out. I was getting similar results that I loved, even though it was different from 2.

These were made from 2.0:

These were from one of the first batches of 2.1:

I like them both but I can't get anything similar with my current batches. I really miss the 2.0...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-03-15, 11:46am
What was I thinking?

Amy, your 2nd photo (the 2.1 set) is one of my all-time faves.

Hayley, those are terrific beads. Any thoughts on the 2.1?

Old 2010-03-15, 11:54am
Tweedle Dumb

Me either Amy, something changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Hayley, I remember that 2.1 bead from when it first came out. I was getting similar results that I loved, even though it was different from 2.

These were made from 2.0:

These were from one of the first batches of 2.1:

I like them both but I can't get anything similar with my current batches. I really miss the 2.0...

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-03-15, 12:00pm
Tacki

I'm starting to think I must have a super awesome batch which sucks because I only have a couple of rods left.
Old 2010-03-15, 12:03pm
da General

Gretchen - I haven't just used Terranova 2.1 straight on its own for a while so can't comment on how it's reacting. . . mine was the first batch from February 2009. I found that without encasement 2.1 tends to be more copper brown while 2.0 is more purple red.

Amy - love both sets!

Terranova 2 and 2.1 are the same formula, btw. That's just the nature of silver glass!

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-03-15, 12:08pm
Master Lurker

I get purples, blues and greens with little spots that make it look like outer space...it's really cool! And that's just from repeated superheating and cooling.

I have never encased this glass, but I need have to try that and see what other songs I can get it to sing for me.
Old 2010-03-15, 5:50pm
What was I thinking?

Ooh, sounds nice, Smkes. Here's your chance to post your 1st photo on LE!!

Hayley, I've gotten the copperish color too, but my bead cracked every time I encased it.

Old 2010-03-16, 2:56am
Dark Flower Bead Art

This is what I got. I have never tried encasing TN but after seeing Amy's sets I might have to call in sick for work and do just that. WOW. I like this bead because the center is frit, and the ends are done with a rod. I'm a total newbie so I must have gotten these colors accidentally. Guess I got a "good batch"...

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2010-03-16, 7:56am
da General

What clear do you encase it with, Gretchen?

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-03-16, 10:29am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlowerBead View Post

This is what I got. I have never tried encasing TN but after seeing Amy's sets I might have to call in sick for work and do just that. WOW. I like this bead because the center is frit, and the ends are done with a rod. I'm a total newbie so I must have gotten these colors accidentally. Guess I got a "good batch"...
Very pretty....and thanks for the compliment!

This is the bead I did before reading Traci's tricks, which didn't work for me anyway. I did my normal working it really hot until it started to curdle, took it out of the flame and let it turn brown, encased it....and I lost all the color. TNT didn't lose the color when you encased it. So I super heated it back up to clear, let it cool to brown and struck it in the flame until it turned into this:

Very different from what I've gotten in the past. This is from a lot of TNT seconds. I'm going to give it another go today.

Old 2010-03-16, 12:52pm
What was I thinking?

Hayley, I used Aether yesterday and started to get some good reactions when I encased right after super-heating and cooling once. I encased when my cooled bead turned peridot green, like Jamie Lynne mentioned.

Old 2010-03-16, 1:38pm
da General

Amy, I love the colors you got on that bead!!!

So you didn't have cracking issue this last time, Gretchen?

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-03-16, 3:43pm
Tweedle Dumb

Amy beautiful bead!! I just dusted off my stash of TN2 a few nights ago, and I got the blues too... makes me miss the TN2 formula. I never thought I'd say that... I loved the first couple batches of TN2.1

Old 2010-03-16, 5:12pm
Storm Queen

Oh....that's fabulous!

Old 2010-03-16, 5:23pm
Tweedle Dumb

Amy, do you still have a picture of your alligator shoes set? That was TN wasn't it.... I loved that set.

Old 2010-03-16, 5:47pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie lynne View Post
Amy, do you still have a picture of your alligator shoes set? That was TN wasn't it.... I loved that set.
That's the second set I posted above and it was TN2.1. I really did like that set too but the next batch of TN2.1 wouldn't do that. In most cases I've gotten to appreciate the quirks and prissiness of silver glass and just go with whatever it does. This glass is the one case where I can't. I want the old TNT. I didn't have to fight with it to get color. Anyway, I'll be interested to see what I got out of the two bhbs I did today. One I really fought with it and even had to encase it a second time because the TNT was creeping out over the encasement.

Old 2010-03-16, 6:21pm
Tweedle Dumb

How the heck did I miss that.... I even quoted you. Duh Jamie. I love them.

Old 2010-03-18, 1:22am

Messy beads from me, I'm having trouble with Terra 2.1 a Just not getting what I've see others achieve, but I'm hoping to get sorted with the batch now annealing.
I’ve found that if I reheat the bead fully after encasing I end up with a plain dark burgundy bead after annealing.
1. Terranova. Treated the same as 2’s.
2. Terra 2.1
T2.1 heated until it was nearly dripping and I could see lines forming on the surface. Cooled – the colour was transparent light green. As I encased with clear the T2.1 started to strike. I reheated so everything looked clear and allowed the bead to cool. All previous striking disappeared and I had to touch the bead with the flame. Each round bead was treated differently, but after annealing – all ended just the same again.
3. The only way I can get the blues and greens to stay is as I encase I try to only heat the clear enough to get the shape.
4. This is T2.1 encased with Clio. something interesting happening here.Bev.B
Attached Images

Old 2010-03-18, 5:58am
Tweedle Dumb

Bev, It looks like you are stuck in the first strike. Hold it in the flame, where you would usually fire polish, just enough heat to keep it warm. It needs to Re-strike after encasing and reheating. It takes a long time to get color. Try reheating to clear again once encased, cool till glow is gone +10 seconds, then in the VERRRRY back of your flame turn it, turn it and turn it some more. When you see the brown that is a good thing but keep going. Then purple, then blue, green and yellow will come out... I strike in one cycle, meaning I keep it in the flame until I get what I want. Others strike in multiple cycles, taking it step by step in and out of the flame. They both work.

And #4 is a really neat reaction!!

Last edited by jamie lynne; 2010-03-18 at 8:19am.
Old 2010-03-18, 9:36am
Storm Queen

I may encase with Clio today.

Old 2010-03-18, 9:38am
Tacki

I used a rod from a different batch, though I don't know which one. Nothing stayed translucent whatsoever.

This is worked the exact same way as the two beads I posted on page 1.
Old 2010-03-18, 12:45pm
Lampworkaholic!

Wow. Traci that is awesome.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-03-18, 10:36pm

Wow,wow,wow Traci.
Can't wait to get the the torch again.
Bev.B
Old 2010-03-19, 5:44pm
as in the state

Now I'm wondering whether or not I have any TerraNova2.1...

I have 1 rod of the original. Heheh. Unlabelled and floating around somewhere in a box.

-Amy
Old 2010-03-19, 7:57pm

Better results today.
Thanks Jamie Lynn - these were made following your directions. I achieved a wide variety of colours.
The barrels have no encasing other than the Clio stringer work. I was worried about the shape so the barrels were only made clear in their centre sections. I thought the dark burgundy that I was trying to avoid before could make a good combination. The top barrel and bead were given just the slightest touch of a reduction flame.
Bev.B
Attached Images

Old 2010-03-19, 8:46pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Sooper late to the party, I know...
But here's my terra 2.1 all from the same batch.

-Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-03-19, 8:56pm
Tweedle Dumb

YEAH!!! look at all that color you got!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev.B View Post
Better results today.
Thanks Jamie Lynn - these were made following your directions. I achieved a wide variety of colours.
The barrels have no encasing other than the Clio stringer work. I was worried about the shape so the barrels were only made clear in their centre sections. I thought the dark burgundy that I was trying to avoid before could make a good combination. The top barrel and bead were given just the slightest touch of a reduction flame.
Bev.B

Old 2010-03-20, 2:59pm

Thank you for your good advice !
These are TerraNova 2.1 and Aether

Old 2010-03-20, 6:28pm
What was I thinking?

Joy—those are wonderful! What great variety.
Aegolius—very pretty!! Do you think the Aether affected the colors?
Bev—thanks for joining the convo! You're getting some really nice colors.

Old 2010-03-21, 3:27am

Thanks Gretchen !

I tried Vetrofond and TAG Clears too, but maybe it´s my fault, not the glasses

I wonder how you all can get the clear so evenly and nice shape (form) ???
I miss all, when I superheat after encasing...