Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-10-29, 4:52pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Default Twistie Tuts/Instructions/Videos - What's your favorite?

I see so many different techniques for making twisites, and I've tried a couple of them with not much success. Mostly I have problems with heat control, but all that requires is a little (or a lot of) PPP. But, even considering that, I'm wondering if I'm trying the "wrong" techniques to begin with. Maybe a certain technique is too hard for me but another technique I haven't heard about would be easier, so I had an idea to start this thread.

Can people please recommend their favorite twistie technique/tut/instructions or video and maybe we can create a repository for links to "all" the various twistie techniques there are out there?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

#M-191
Old 2012-10-29, 5:08pm
I fart diamonds

I'm biased.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27866

Old 2012-10-29, 7:27pm

SRA-96 has a Cane cookbook that is excellent and goes into great detail about heat control etc. well worth the money.

Old 2012-10-30, 2:34am

Well, the pulling and twisting is the main thing. How you build the twistie or what you pull with is less important. (I do it different ways depending on what I have to hand).

But that said, I didn't like using two glass rods to make them when I started: just all sorts of things like shocking your punties, melting parts you didn't want melted... You want the mass of glass you're pulling from to feel secure, so making them on a stainless steel chopstick or the end of a bare mandrel works if you have the same problem. Once you've got the heat control sorted, that probably won't matter anymore.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-10-30, 6:05am

YouTube. It's easier for me to see it done.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2012-10-30, 6:36am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Twisties were the first thing I did when I started! I found them super simple, at least to do easy 2 color twists. I hold one rod in my left hand, one in my right, warm an inch or so of each until they start to glow. Lay them together, spin them in the heat until they're soft, pull out of the flame, wait a second or two, then start pulling slowly while spinning rods in opposite directions. Stringer and twisties are actually a great way to learn heat control.

L-111

Old 2012-10-30, 1:58pm

Kimberly Affleck's method is my favorite. And I find it much easier to control the pull when using 1/8" mandrels as punties.

http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/drkimtwistie.php
Old 2012-10-30, 3:59pm

Nance, do you have a particular video that you find helps you most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiP View Post
YouTube. It's easier for me to see it done.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-10-30, 4:06pm

That's basically the technique that I've seen in different places. This quote is the part I have the most trouble with: "Keep flashing the gather in the flame, then out, in, then out to keep the gather just hot enough to pull."

I've never been very good at the "[in], then out, in, then out" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyK View Post
Kimberly Affleck's method is my favorite. And I find it much easier to control the pull when using 1/8" mandrels as punties.

http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/drkimtwistie.php

~
~

#M-191
Old 2012-10-30, 7:01pm

Lyssa - No, not really. I love them all. It's fun to see how others do it then try each technique to see what works for me.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford

Tags
tutorials, twisties