Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-05-26, 3:27pm
berry lady

Question Anyone interested in Effetre "Premium Color" frits?

Almost all Effetre "standard" colors are available as frits, but not any of the Premium colors like Ink Blue, Sage Green, Copper Green, Uranium Yellow, etc.

Also, no frits are available for the Vetrofonds, or odd batches of any 104 brand. Not to mention Lauscha or Czech.

I am able to make frit in bulk using my Ball Mill setup and wondered if there was a market for it. Would anybody buy frit in Premium or Odd Batch colors, or is there already so much COE 96 frit that nobody would bother to buy 104?

Beth
Old 2009-05-26, 3:47pm

I would be very interested in 104 frit...The "basic" 104 frit colors are fine, but we need some variety!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-05-26, 4:21pm
balanced but asymmetrical

104 frit sounds good to me.

Old 2009-05-26, 4:45pm

I would love to see more 104 frit blends

Old 2009-05-26, 4:59pm

I make my own copper green frit and love it, it's fun to make and looks great. GG Glass already has some 104 frit blends out there, but any more frit is always great.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-05-26, 6:55pm
daughter and I

more 104 frits, some blends would be excellent!

Seaside Fire Designs

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just swish and spit.
Old 2009-05-27, 11:09am

I'd be interested as long as the prices were reasonable. I have a hard time finding basics like ivory, turquoise, & any half way decent clear frit, too.
Old 2009-05-27, 1:58pm
berry lady

Default 104 Frit Pricing

Okay, there seems to be some interest. But pricing is always the catch.

For each color I would have to invest about $250.00 in a dedicated jar, grinding media and sifting screens (to avoid contamination). I would also need to invest in packaging materials, labels, etc.

The premium glass colors are also expensive to buy in the rod, and my production will not be as large or efficient as an outfit like Double Helix.

The frit might turn out to be quite pricey for premium colors, at least. Say in the neighborhood of $5 to $6 per ounce. ($20 to $24 for a 4-ounce jar) Even at that price I'd have to sell a lot of any given color to reach the break-even point.

Would people still be interested in Premium colors at that price ($5 to $6 per ounce)?

Beth

Last edited by EJohnsonArtGlass; 2009-05-27 at 2:00pm.
Old 2009-05-27, 2:05pm
berry lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavendar420 View Post
I'd be interested as long as the prices were reasonable. I have a hard time finding basics like ivory, turquoise, & any half way decent clear frit, too.
My quantities would be small and therefore labor costs high, not to mention the equipment costs. I don't think I would be able to compete with the prices Frantz and others give on Effetre stock colors like Ivory.

Because of that I would not attempt to make anything already available in the market from another source.

Beth
Old 2009-05-27, 5:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJohnsonArtGlass View Post
Okay, there seems to be some interest. But pricing is always the catch.

For each color I would have to invest about $250.00 in a dedicated jar, grinding media and sifting screens (to avoid contamination). I would also need to invest in packaging materials, labels, etc.

The premium glass colors are also expensive to buy in the rod, and my production will not be as large or efficient as an outfit like Double Helix.

The frit might turn out to be quite pricey for premium colors, at least. Say in the neighborhood of $5 to $6 per ounce. ($20 to $24 for a 4-ounce jar) Even at that price I'd have to sell a lot of any given color to reach the break-even point.

Would people still be interested in Premium colors at that price ($5 to $6 per ounce)?

Beth
If you're looking for honest answers, I'd make my own before paying that price as long as it was a color I had on hand...

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-05-27, 7:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
If you're looking for honest answers, I'd make my own before paying that price as long as it was a color I had on hand...
Ditto. I use the "drip it hot into a bowl of water, drain it through a coffee filter & let it dry" method if I really want a premium/handpulled frit color that badly (& Gail Joseph doesn't already have it in stock )

Honestly though, I have a bit of Ivory, coral & EDP from when JameyLynn used to sell them....and Leslie @ FritGirl has always been able to get me a special color of absolutely anything in about a week, handcrushed & sifted for incredibly reasonable prices....even brand new special-order colors....so....if you're starting a "new business", you'd have to be offering something the people who I don't already *know* give me stellar service or beat their prices in some incredible way to get me to shop.

(Not to mention the other frit sellers you'd be up against--Joe @ Avenue Beads with his special fusion frits in 104, & all the ~96 coe sellers as well)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-05-28, 2:44am
picking Job's Tears

What Nikki and Lyn said.
I'd love to see more 104 frit, but I have a lot of stuff to work with.
I have some of the fusion frit as well.

It all depends on price and what you get for it.
(sorry)
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2009-06-08, 3:29pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

I just tripped across this thread. I'll give you my two cents if you are interested.

I used to make the whole Effetre line in frit. EVERY single color (was I nuts or what??) and sell them. I priced the frit at 2x the rod retail price, per ounce. So if the glass was a 30.00 per pound glass, it would be 60 divided by 16 for 3.75 for one ounce. In my mind, that was a good price. It took me a lot of time to make all the frit and the tools supplies, etc.

The end result? About a year ago, I had a huge raffle and the raffle winner got all the frit that I had left over. And I don't make it any more.

The sales did not warrent my time and effort that went into it, so I had to let it go.

But, on the other hand, if I had made custom blends or something, maybe my sales in the frit would have been better. But, the flipside to that, is that there are some excellent frit blend shops out there and I was more then happy to let them do their thing with their frits!