Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2008-10-01, 4:43pm
Yorkies Rule

Default Mandrel help

I just recently got some new 3/16th mandrels from cr loo and I'm going crazy none of my beads are comming off...I'm using Bucket of Mud which i always use and have been using other mandrels with this particular batch and have had no problem...so what is it? One thing I noticed about the mandrels was after annealing them in the kiln there is a slight copper color to them , could it be a strange alloy in it thats reacting with the release....i roughed up the mandrels with sand paper before i ever used them like you should with new mandrels...and putting them in the fridge didn't help either...I sure hope someone knows because I don't want to reuin anymore beads..thanx
Old 2008-10-01, 4:50pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

have you soaked them in water?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-10-01, 4:51pm

Have you tried "bouncing" the mandrel on concrete? I've also found that, with stubborn beads, the longer they sit on the mandrel (like for a week) the easier they finally come off. Once in awhile with large tubes, I still have to get the vice grips out. Personally, I like Sludge Plus way better than BOM. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-10-02, 3:37am
Yorkies Rule

Thanx guys...Squid I soaked and those suckers were not comming off...My Husband drilled a hole in a block of wood the size of the bead, put the mandrel through it and tapped it with a hammer and got them off....I think for some reason my mud was just too thin...which is weird because it usually thickens up on me....going to try double coating them today.
Old 2008-10-10, 4:03pm

I started having that problem with nthe ladst batch of BOM I used. I switched to Foster Fire Smooth N Tuff and even beads where the release cracks because I was too rough on the application of glass, the beads slide RIGHT off, even with tube beads!
Hugs
Lynnie
Quote:
Thanx guys...Squid I soaked and those suckers were not comming off...My Husband drilled a hole in a block of wood the size of the bead, put the mandrel through it and tapped it with a hammer and got them off....I think for some reason my mud was just too thin...which is weird because it usually thickens up on me....going to try double coating them today.

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-10-10, 4:08pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Glad to hear it worked
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.