LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-12-06, 9:57pm

Default Is 'Passing the Flame' worth the cost?

I need a book that will take me from beginner on. I have mastered the basics and want to be challenged. I see this book on sale for an awesome price, but it is still a lot of money! I get most of my reference material from amazon, under the heavily used and cheap section.

I have heard a lot of good things about this book.... Is it really worth the price?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2014-12-07, 1:09am

I would say YES it's well worth the price. It has lots of information and eye candy that will perk your interest to try.
Liz R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Lead me not into temptation, Oh hell follow me I know a short cut
Old 2014-12-07, 1:45am

That it the one book that I own that I would never, ever lend out. I have many books and friends are welcome to borrow any BUT that one.

Yes, it is worth the money.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2014-12-07, 3:23am

Where is it for sale at an awesome price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi Dane View Post
I need a book that will take me from beginner on. I have mastered the basics and want to be challenged. I see this book on sale for an awesome price, but it is still a lot of money! I get most of my reference material from amazon, under the heavily used and cheap section.

I have heard a lot of good things about this book.... Is it really worth the price?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2014-12-07, 6:06am
**Fuzzy Logic**

As a more or less newbie also... YES!!! YES!!!! YES!!! I managed to get a copy her in the garage sale along with a couple of others. The other 2 are nice if you know what you're doing. But Passing The Flame is awesome!!
It doesn't tell you 'make a round bead, then add...' There are 8 pages on how to get it round, with dimples, along with trouble shooting tips if you're having issues with the dimples. ie if the edge looks like this, then do this to get a dimple..
I haven't taken any classes, but this book feels like a great instructor is standing over your shoulder helping.
Frantz has it on sale at the moment http://www.frantznewsletter.com/sale/
And at $50 it's cheaper than a lot of the used ones I've seen on here.

But it's not ALL basics. It's does progress and will help for ages.
So Yes, it's worth every penny!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FB friends
Old 2014-12-07, 7:55am

It is absolutely worth it! I still refer to it, even after 10 years at the torch.

Mimi
Old 2014-12-07, 7:58am

Definitely worth the price. This was my go-to book for the first few years of beadmaking, ages ago. It's still useful now! Also, get James Kervin's book on glass beadmaking, for the safety stuff if you haven't already.

Old 2014-12-07, 8:09am
Katherine

YES!

Old 2014-12-07, 9:48am

Lampworking is a lot more popular in the last few years as such check the library.
I have found several books through inter library loan.
Some are a better than others.
Passing the flame and making glass beads by Cindy Jenkins are fairly standard beginner books.
They show up regularly hear and on talk glass in the garage sale sections.

Old 2014-12-07, 10:15am

It's a fantastic book, I have learnt so much from it. I bought it at full price, I am a poor student, and I think it's more than worth it.

Old 2014-12-07, 10:24am

Yes!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-12-07, 11:06am

Sold! Guess I'm gonna go buy it then, lol. Hope mike has enough to go around! It's currently at frantz glass new for 49.95.
Old 2014-12-07, 11:30am
Cancer SUCKS!

I might have a used copy for sale. PM me if you are interested. I will go dig around in my messy studio.

Old 2014-12-07, 11:34am

Bear in mind that if you get it and don't particularly care for it, there are lots of folks that would probably buy it from you, so it won't be a total loss.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2014-12-07, 1:54pm

I think Corina has some signed copies for sale on her website
Old 2014-12-07, 3:20pm

Fabulous book by a fabulous artist!

Barbara
Old 2014-12-07, 11:47pm

Most definitely worth it!
Old 2014-12-09, 8:57am

Lampwork classes are crazy expensive. This is the best book out there, and it is cheaper than a one-day class. I know what I'm doing, more or less, and I still refer back to it.
Old 2014-12-09, 12:38pm

It depends on where you are, I went to an event and ended up taking classes and swapping ideas with glass people most of the week.

Old 2014-12-09, 1:08pm
what's a senior moment ?

This book and Cindy Jenkins first book - THE Bibles for lampworking.

Old 2014-12-09, 3:20pm
Ex-lurker

Worth every penny....

"Life is a journey - travel it well"
Old 2014-12-11, 11:51am

Absolutely worth every penny...even more so after you get it autographed (in person)

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2014-12-11, 1:14pm

Or take two week long classes in December, back to back, at BeadCamp in sunny and warm FL in December with Corina!

Barbara
Old 2014-12-11, 1:57pm

Don't I wish! I have already sent for the book, I kinda figured it would be, since it hasn't lost value in 10 years, and no one will loan their copy!

Happy holidays to me!
Old 2014-12-11, 7:05pm

Tried to get in the December beadcamp...no luck...but then..wha-la...a February class was added..I'm in. Woot woot

Old 2014-12-11, 7:49pm

Carol, you will love it! Marley and Jetse are perfect hosts, Corina is absolutely so talented, giving and funny, and the sweet poodles are an added bonus.

Barbara
Old 2014-12-11, 10:56pm
Glass-aholic

If you don't like it, it can pretty much be sold for what you paid for it. It seems to keep holding it's resale value. It's been about the same price for years now. I have one. I got it well past my newbie years, so I don't think I had the same appreciation for it. But I kept it. I don't think I've references it like some other books I have. Buts it's not a bad book at all. I think I just got it too late. I do like Cindy Jenkins 'making glass beads' It gives you the basics without a specific project like passing the flame does. I feel like if you need structure passing the flame is like taking a class, complete with color choices. Make this. Now make this. And try making this. Where as making glass beads is more 'your glass can do this, and here are techniques that will help you in any bead you might try' (no color lists)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-12-12, 10:26am

if not passing the flame, then contemporary lampworking vols 1 & 2 for sure.
ideally, all three.
Old 2014-12-12, 7:56pm

I'm reading Contemporary Lampworking now and it's awesome. There is a ton of info in there. The history of lampworking is really cool. There's a bit of science in there too. Definitely worth it.
Old 2014-12-13, 8:34am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Thanks for the tip. They're signed & she's throwing in a frog charm. I already have her book but wanted a signed one. I just ordered another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbisker View Post
I think Corina has some signed copies for sale on her website

Vivian

-