Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2007-12-21, 12:04pm

Default Help with PappaShop articles page.

First I know nothing about website development. I put my bio in the articles page from the pages section of PappaShop where it says edit.
At the bottom is a link to "click to read more". When I go to the right side under articles and add content, it goes on the same page as my bio not on the second page where I would like it, since it's not a continuation of my bio information.
How do we put content on the second page of articles??
I read the tutorials and when I submit a ticket for questions, I'm always referred to the tutorials as if I didn't read them first, but I have.
I suppose I'm just frustrated since I know I can't be as stupid as this website stuff makes you feel, but having no computer training it's a challenge sometimes. Thanks for any suggestions you might have. There are so many brilliant people here on LE I figured I'd give it a try.
Vickie

My website:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-21, 1:03pm
beads....mmmm

Hi Vickie.

Can you remove the link that says 'click to read more'? Then, add a new articles page to post what you want on the next page?
Old 2007-12-21, 1:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Hi Vickie.

Can you remove the link that says 'click to read more'? Then, add a new articles page to post what you want on the next page?
I'm in my articles page with my bio right now, and there is no link showing. It's something built into their template, but I haven't figured out how to get what I want on the second page instead of my bio page. Odd....
I'm sure it's me and can be done but I'm just confused...maybe tired and longing for my torch right now...hahaha.
I'll keep trying...if I figure it out I'll post something for others.
Vickie

My website:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-12-21, 1:16pm

Ah feel yore pain... I hate trying to figure out website software too. I'm having a problem with mine and I submitted a ticket to see what to do. My usual reaction to the whole thing, and to the comments from people who talk about how easy it is, is I'm just plugging along hoping it will get easier the more I do it!

Cheryl

Old 2007-12-21, 2:00pm
beads....mmmm

Cheryl,

What problem are you having? I might be able to help...I've done many sites using the cart system you are using.
Old 2007-12-21, 3:46pm

Vickie,
When you click on "Articles" on your admin page there is an "Add" button. You can use this to start a new page and the title of the page will appear in the Articles index.

It might work out better to use the "Artistbio" under "Pages" for your bio. Then the "Articles" would be available for the continuation of your blog when it gets too long for one page.

ETA: Your site looks great! You've really done a nice job, very professional.

Last edited by Judi_B; 2007-12-21 at 3:50pm.
Old 2007-12-22, 12:55pm
Sombody's Mom

Anytime you want to add a new article, click on Articles on the right hand side in your store admin. Then click the Add button. The articles page keeps all entries in a linked list so each time you add a new article, the others are still there for viewing. to arrange them, use the up and down arrows in that articles area.
Old 2007-12-23, 10:43am

Thanks to both of you..!!! I had read where everyone puts their blog on the articles page and originally set it up that way. But since I didn't try adding to it, I figured it would be a good extension for my bio then testimonials pages. Well, after trying to use the articles pages, I can see why it's used to a blog and I'll most likely attempt to switch back and do my bio as an independent page. I have no clue how to add a page to connect to my bio page so I'll be doing some more tutorial reading for a while...hahaha.
It's funny, when I talked my girlfriend into getting a website with me, she said "we can't do this". I told her if everyone else can....we WILL do it too. This is now reminding me of learning algebra.....tough until that light bulb clicks and you say...oh yeah, now I get it..!!! haha.
Oh...thanks for the encouragement on how my site is looking. Heaven only knows I'm trying to make it look nice and function smoothly.
Vickie

My website:

Old 2007-12-23, 11:39am

Vickie, if you have any trouble linking the pages, I think I can walk you through it. Just PM me or post here.
Old 2007-12-25, 10:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi_B View Post
Vickie, if you have any trouble linking the pages, I think I can walk you through it. Just PM me or post here.
Judi...
Thanks for the offer, and yes I would appreciate ANY direction for help in learning how to link a second page to an existing one on my site. I responded in this thread, in case anyone else is in need of help. If you feel more comfortable doing it direct you can email me from my home page. But I'm sure there are more people than me that will appreciate your direction.
As far as the articles, I did move my blog to there and found it to be more work and not what I want. So I'm keeping a page and "if" I add more to a blog it can go on a second page, but frankly I don't want to archive my ramblings.
Have a wonderful Christmas and Holiday season.!!!
Vickie

My website:

Old 2007-12-25, 12:51pm

Sure, I'll give it a try -

To add a link to another existing page (this is using the IE browser, if you are using another browser you may need to copy/paste differently):
1. In your admin area click on "Pages" and then "edit" for the page where you want to add the link
2. In another browser window open the page that you want to link to. Highlight the Url at the top of the browser window starting at www. ... and copy it (in IE right click, copy)
3. Return to the page where you want to add the link. Type the text you want to use, for example "See my blog". Highlight the text. Click on the hyperlink button at the top of the "content" window (the chain link between the paint bucket and the picture).
4. In the pop-up window, select "source" and in the first box select "http://", in the box next to it, right click and paste the url. Make sure it starts with "www." and not "http://"
  • go down to "Target" and in the second box select from the drop down menu:
    • "self" if you want the link to open in the same window OR
    • "blank" if you want the link to open in a new window
  • you can add a title if you like, but it is not necessary
  • click "insert"
  • click "OK"
5. click "Update" at the bottom of the page. You should now have a clickable link on your web page

To add a Continuation Page to an exixting page:
1. In your admin area first create the continuation page using "Add New Page". Do not assign a "Page Grouping" unless you want this page to show up in your menu. Add content to the page and click "Update"
2. In a new browser window, open your website, click "Site Map", and then the new page you created. Copy the url at the top of the browser window starting with "www. ..."
3. Go back to your Admin Area, click edit for the page where you want to add the link to the continuation page
4. At the bottom of the content box add the text you want to use, for example "Click to Read More". Proceed as in Step 3 above to add the link.

This should work unless I missed a step somewhere. Let me know if there is a problem and I'll fix it.
Old 2008-01-07, 1:11am

Judi...
I just went back to this thread and noticed that you responded....wow..!!! I cannot thank you enough for your help. Is there something I can do for you, or repay you somehow??? I did manage to get the link to a second page of the bio, and even though it's really just "fluff" I wanted to add it just not as a main page.

Since you are with Pappashop, maybe you can help me with something else?? I have a "dot" in between my item # and the description on each of my items, that was not there when I first did my pages. It's in my admin area of all of my products in view items. I was told it's a default, but it wasn't there in the beginning and I've checked other Pappashop websites and most don't have it. Do you have a dot between your item # and name.??

Again, thanks for all your help with linking my bio page....!!!
Vickie

My website:

Last edited by VickieLee; 2008-01-07 at 2:37am. Reason: shortened the post
Old 2008-01-07, 7:40am

Hi Vickie,

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

I don't use catalog numbers (not enough listings to worry about it yet ), so I edited an old listing to see what happens. Mine also had a dot at the end of the number. I couldn't find any way to format the number, so I think it is a default that you can't change. You could get around it by not using the Catalog # field and making your item number part of the item title. Then you could format it anyway you like. However, you would lose any function that is associated with the item # (sorting, maybe other functions-I'm not sure what).

Your site looks great! One thing to think about - there are web crawlers that harvest email addresses from web pages and sell them to spam lists. The PappaShop default for the guest book makes the signer's name a clickable link to email, which can be harvested. I usually record the email addresses for my own use and delete them from the guest book so the web crawlers can't get them.

Thank you for mentioning me in your blog!
Old 2008-01-07, 12:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi_B View Post
Hi Vickie,

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

I don't use catalog numbers (not enough listings to worry about it yet ), so I edited an old listing to see what happens. Mine also had a dot at the end of the number. I couldn't find any way to format the number, so I think it is a default that you can't change. You could get around it by not using the Catalog # field and making your item number part of the item title. Then you could format it anyway you like. However, you would lose any function that is associated with the item # (sorting, maybe other functions-I'm not sure what).

Your site looks great! One thing to think about - there are web crawlers that harvest email addresses from web pages and sell them to spam lists. The PappaShop default for the guest book makes the signer's name a clickable link to email, which can be harvested. I usually record the email addresses for my own use and delete them from the guest book so the web crawlers can't get them.

Thank you for mentioning me in your blog!
Judi...
I'm finding that this website thing is going to be a daily challenge since I want to present the best I can. Thanks for checking on the dot thing, I have no idea why it started out without one then changed, but it's not important to worry about. I'll probably keep both the # and description since I name the photos by the number to keep it all short. Experience in selling glass for 36 years I've learned to have a "code #" as well as the description in the case of any disputes. It was very important with large corporations buying a lot of product...especially the military..!! Go figure that the military was buying my glass sculptured clowns for a PX in Guam....haha.
Someone else mentioned the guest book feature and I certainally want to protect those that were kind enough to sign it, so I will go in and see what I need to do. I just changed my own contact info to a jpeg of my address rather than a link and typed in to prevent spamming on myself.
Is it okay that I added your link to my blog...??? I don't think that will affect you being spammed, if so let me know.
Thanks again....I just love this forum for meeting wonderful people..!!!
Vickie

My website:

Old 2008-01-07, 12:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickieLee View Post
Is it okay that I added your link to my blog...???
Most definitely! Links are good, links bring traffic! It won't cause any spam. The spam I'm getting now is my own fault for previously having my email in the text.

I like the way you put your contact info in the graphic on the left panel of your site - makes it available on every page. I have mine in a graphic on my "Contact" page, but may add it to the left panel as well.

You're right about a website being a daily challenge. I think it will always be a work in progress