No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-07, 10:54am
Leda

Default Help With Making Buttons!

Hi All!! I had posted a similiar question on Wet Canvas recently and had gotten no response yet, so I am trying again! I am trying to learn how to make buttons on the 2-pronged mandrels. I have read all posts up to this point and viewed a video online, but I still can't get the hang of making the holes so that they aren't sharp. I am trying to make them so that they are "puckered" or "dimpled," like regular bead holes are. I am also having a great problem with making the buttons thin. It seems the only way I can make them now is just making them too thick. Can anyone help? I even sent an e-mail question about this to Heather Trimlett, because her buttons are so perfect, but I didn't get a response. I have a local knitting shop that will purchase the glass buttons from me if I can supply them. Thx for any suggestions!

Leda:heart:
Old 2008-07-08, 3:14pm

It's not easy to make buttons on mandrels! Try using a very thin rod, 4mm or maybe even a stringer and see if that helps with the thickness.

Good luck!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-07-08, 3:38pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

Yah, I have to agree about the buttons being hard. I did find a dvd I really liked and answered alot of questions. It is "Light the torch" Vicki Payne. It does use the 4 hole mandrel though. Does anyone know where I can get those? Thanks in advance. Lili
Old 2008-07-08, 5:36pm
Button Queen

BJJunk has them in her etsy shop, although it appears she doesn't have any listed at the moment. You could PM her and ask.
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id...ion_id=5397650
Old 2008-07-08, 8:40pm
Spoiled

That's me on Vicki's dvd. The button mandrels I used were made by Inspiration Toolworks but he's no longer selling, Zooziis has taken over the selling but I don't know if she has any of the button mandrels for sale on her site or not.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2008-07-08, 10:08pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

Oh my god it is you. Thanks so much for doing that segment. It really got me out of my bead funk. I did check out zooziis site, but I couldn't figure out if they did have the four hole button mandrels or not. I am going to PM her. Thanks again, Lili
Old 2008-07-08, 10:25pm
Spoiled

Here's a link to Jeff's website and the page for the mandrel, http://www.inspirationtoolworks.com/lampworking/0020/, he might still have some available. I know he was going to sell off a few odds and ends he had sitting around.

And thanks, I was so nervous during the taping.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2008-07-08, 10:31pm
Sheryll

Dawn (tradesbears) also has a button maker using your own mandrels.

http://tradesbearsstudios.com/cart/i...products_id=32

Old 2008-07-09, 1:00pm

Heather taught a button workshop here at Bullseye - it was a great class - and I was fortunate to help out. If memory serves me right:

Heather started this type of button by pulling out a somewhat short length of thick stringer, leaving it connected to the rod. Then apply the stringer to one of the mandrel-prongs, starting in one of the spots between the mandrels - turning the mandrel to apply material in what looks kind of like the # 8. So, around one prong completely then on to the next (without flame cutting) - it's important to make good connections and try to avoid gaps. As you apply the thick stringer, squish it in when you come around to the area between the mandrels (leaving behind a little more material and making sure you've connected with the starting point) - and then again after you make it around the 2nd mandrel. Squishing helps because that spot is kind of difficult to reach. Keep using the stringer as it transitions into the rod thickness, feeding on a relatively narrow band of material.

I find that smoothing out any ridges without overheating is one of the more challenging things with the process. There's a bit of waiting - and positioning the mandrel so the broad sides of the button get heat - but not too much (or it will thicken up). For the same reasons, beware of too much heat on the outside edges.

I hope this helps - I'll have to check out the video... Sorry if I've repeated anything that's already covered - or if this is unclear. I haven't made a whole lot of these, but using this approach has helped a lot. Maybe someone else from class will jump in with anything I left out.

-Bonnie
Old 2008-07-09, 1:24pm

I have made some animals using the two button mandrel that I got from Arrow Springs. Getting the thickness is tough but I use my tweezers to keep it thin.

Here is a cat I made:

Debbie

Last edited by Tesorobeads; 2008-07-09 at 1:26pm.