LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-02-02, 6:51am

Default Boro compatible tutorials

I was just wondering if it would help anyone else if we had a separate catagory for tutorials that are either boro compatible or just for boro? I know most of the people on this site use soft glass but there is a lot of us boro people here as well as those who use both. Sometimes you can use boro instead of soft but it might be nice if there was a separate list.
Just wondering!
Jane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-02-03, 2:17pm

Absolutely!!! I think that is a great idea. I tend to just try new things with both. But it would be nice to know what works better with which glass and who has tried it with both.

Candace

Minor
Old 2010-02-04, 5:12pm

There is a tutorial in the Boro room for newbies...don't know if this is what you are looking for.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...wbie+tutorials

Old 2010-02-04, 5:19pm

ALL of Pipyr's tutorials are boro. The eye cane has a section for both boro and soft glass.... and her tutorials are wonderful. I think I have all of hers... excellent instructions and pictures.

I have gotten something out of every tutorial I own...

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-02-05, 1:29am
I need more boro stuff

Roger has boro dragon tutorial

Old 2010-09-14, 7:33pm
i want that one

Default Okay! Newb here!

Seriously, my first day on here, so for fear of being publicly beaded to death by all you Wagnerian Boro people, I'll ask anyway:

I've spent the better part of the past two hours reading in all corners of this forum, and its as if, every time I come across a Boro worker, I have the uncontrolable urge to check my hair and hope my breath is fine!

So, what's the big deal with Boro?!

Last edited by dewald; 2010-09-14 at 7:35pm.
Old 2010-09-14, 8:37pm

nothing! it's just a different type of glass, it works differently than 104,96 and 90 and has different strengths and weaknesses. It's what "scientific" glass is made out of (beakers, test tubes ect) and there are fewer suppliers for boro because until about 10 years ago all boro was clear unless you mixed it by hand.
Old 2010-09-14, 9:11pm

That would be great. I use boro as well as soft glass and I have tried alot of soft glass tuts with boro and boro tuts with soft glass. I like to experiment and have learned alot from every tut I have read, saw, or bought.
Old 2010-09-15, 3:44am
Glassmangler

Quote:
... every time I come across a Boro worker, I have the uncontrolable urge to check my hair and hope my breath is fine!
What can we say, ladies dig teh boro.

Seriously, going from soft glass to boro is not big deal (other than needing more heat usually). You'll be amazed at rods that don't explode when you put them in the flame (usually...)!

For awhile I tried to keep both soft and boro stations, but I just didn't have the space for both, and after an incident with some clear getting mixed up, I went to boro-only.
Old 2010-09-15, 12:59pm
ManBearPig

All of mine are borosilicate...

Old 2010-09-15, 3:50pm
Flameworker

I dont think i have ever touched soft glass... i got nothing against it. I guess i was just born a boro baby
Old 2010-09-20, 4:16am
boro color bender

Both of my DVDs and the free videos on my site are for boro... I'm a boro boy... I melt some soft stuff from time to time... it's neat too... but it aint boro!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-09-20, 4:17am
boro color bender

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591

Oh and here's a heart tut i did years ago... pics come later in the thread.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2010-09-20, 5:27am
Run Free Sweet Boy

my tut swings both ways, as long as the coe matches.. glass is glass fire is fire. Its all good.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-09-20, 8:22am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Propp View Post
I dont think i have ever touched soft glass... i got nothing against it. I guess i was just born a boro baby
Everyone should definitely work with some soft glass.

It will make you appreciate borosilicate even more...

Old 2010-09-23, 10:45am

I prefer Boro but have worked with all coe's. The reason I prefer Boro is for the heat shock resistant quality ( it doesn't explode like soft glass does and you can place it right in the flame without warming it first. Also, you can work in sections and join the sections later. I do a lot of detail work and I find Boro easier to do that with.
All of my tutorials were created for all coe's ( TESTED) with 104, 90, 96 and 33 coe.