AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-01-10, 8:19am

I can't just pick one. However, the two I use the most every day are a bent tungsten rake, and graphite paddle.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-11, 1:33pm

Hi All, being new to lampwork I really don't know what tools you need let alone use for making a bead. I have a graphite paddle and that about it. So I could use some help in the tools area.

Mega-Minor, Mid Range on M15 OXYCON,PP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-01-12, 12:46pm
geekitude on two wheels

Hmm, I'm going to count my torch mounted marver as part of my torch, and not count my steel work surface as a marver so i can pick something else... I'd have to say my spatula tool and pointy bent tweezers, then. Small brass stump shaper and tungsten pick are close candidates. Most of the tools I have I don't *need* but they make things so much quicker and more consistent.
Old 2008-01-13, 9:59pm
Melting Glass Since 1995

............Essential Tools.............
#1. Flattening tweezers with 2 1/2 inch flats that I made years ago.
#2. Rod pre-heating stand a student of mine made for me. I had to modify it, but now it works great.
Old 2008-01-14, 5:12am
BeadsonCypress

the top of my Cattwalk lentil press that I use like a brass paddle - shaper.

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2008-01-14, 9:04am

I agree, can't get by with just ONE. In order of "can't live w/o it:"

graphite marver
poker from Corina
needle nose pliers (for pulling twisties and stringer)
SS chopsticks

I could manage nicely with just those so why do I have a rolling tool chest FULL of tools???

Old 2008-01-14, 9:17am

Lol Darleen I just like to know what are tools that people like best. I'm just starting out and I don't want to go off and buy a bunch of tools I'll never use.

# M 114
Old 2008-01-16, 8:21am

For me.... for sculpture pieces, I use Rocio's tool... It's the top one in the pic.
I also use a "came knife" a lot.
Ron Jr.
Old 2008-01-16, 9:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleacim View Post
Lol Darleen I just like to know what are tools that people like best. I'm just starting out and I don't want to go off and buy a bunch of tools I'll never use.
Here is what I recommend for newbies..

Tweezers
Tungsten Rake (with extra tips since you will probably mess up a couple)
Good Graphite Paddle
Old stainless steel butter knife from your kitchen

Once you know that you are going to stick with it for a while then add....

scissors
marble mold
large graphite table top marver pad (8" x 8") or larger

Everything else is just gravy. I have a ton of tools that I hardly ever use.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-01-16, 9:25am

For me it's easy....a homemade tool that I've used with every bead I've made in the past 4 years. It's a shaper, marver, and does edges. If I had it made professionally, it would actually have more functions. The scary part is that it's become my third hand and if I ever lost it, I can't go buy another one. Guess it's time for pictures, just in case.
Vickie

My website:

Old 2008-08-20, 9:26pm
Dances With Fire

I just had to boost this thread! vickie lee's blog has a tip to use a curling iron under your rod holder to keep the glass ends warm.

genius woman...genius! ya'd think it would be common sense! I bought a coffee warmer to keep my finiky stringer warm...duh! genius you are!

Wouldn't it be nice if, whenever we messed up our life, we could simply press " Ctrl Alt Delete" and start all over?

Old 2008-08-21, 1:20pm
Oh No You Didn't!

My Creation Station, hands down!

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon