Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-02-16, 9:14pm
I think my raku is broken

Default Has this happened to anyone before?

So, here's a hypothetical situation... Let's say, you (or your friend) goes to light their Cricket and instead of getting a little flame, you get a big POP and a corresponding fire ball...

And, let's say you (after you unpucker your butt and turn the propane off, of course) you get up to investigate because you think you may have heard something bang against something else and you notice that, "hey, does this torch look weird?" and that it no longer has a tip and that thing you heard bang into the other thing may have been that tip, (which later your spouse will find embedded the garage door.) And to make matters worse, your spouse now thinks that you are unsafe to leave unattended with anything that has a flame bigger than a birthday candle.

Has this ever happened to anyone? If it has, what do you think could have caused it? I'm not saying that it's happened to me... What should I tell my "friend"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-16, 9:24pm
Dangerous Woman

I'd contact Willy and Wally and ask them. Sounds like a defective torch to me. But then I'm no expert. But I do know W & W stand by their torches.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-02-16, 9:29pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

oy.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-02-16, 9:37pm

Were it me, I'd be telling my spouse that at least I'm not the idiot you just read a post from who fought with the automatic lighter on the grill to the point that when it did go, she'd leaned over it and boy, what a fireball that was!

Right up my face. I'm glad I wear glasses and keep my hair pulled back in a ponytail. I lost about half my eyebrows and about a quarter inch of my hair all around my face. No injury, amazingly enough. I also blinked as it blew towards me-I think I remember seeing flash. I know I remember the heat going across my face.

Worst part? The back neighbor boy going "Dadddy!!!! Daddy!!! did you SEEE THAT!!!!???? WOW!!!" right afterward.

And they know I use a torch. Yeah.

So, tell your spouse you are smarter than me....you didn't have the fireball go across your face.
Old 2010-02-16, 9:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes to make glass stuff View Post

So, tell your spouse you are smarter than me....you didn't have the fireball go across your face.
Um, I'll tell my "friend". That sounds way scarier.

I'll say one thing for the torch tip, it came out the winner in the fight with the garage door. It was able to be put back on with a little pressure and a rubber mallet. But I held my breath when I lit it again. It seemed to go just fine. Not sure what I could possibly have done wrong. Whatever it was, I just want to avoid it in the future.

Old 2010-02-16, 9:47pm
Critter Mom

Wowzers ! The first time I lit a torch was a Eugene Glass School and I created a large fire ball 'bout mid table I'd say...but I didn't blow the end off the torch. I think...no, I know if it were me I'd be calling GTT.

Old 2010-02-16, 10:07pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

That sounds terrible. I would be a little shy lighting the torch for sure.

I want to share my story.

I was assisting in a class at Bead expo. An older woman was trying and trying to make her striker work, all the while the propane ball of gass was building. Unfortunately she was directly under the vent that was blowing directly toward her. well, the fire ignited all around her and singed quite a bit of her short curled hair. She was ok, but I had to give her a new haircut. The whole class I'm sure remembers this.

You should have seen me. LOL I ran to her and took the cup of water and splashed her head even though it was done burning. But sometimes you can't be too careful.

I certainly won't forget that. Now I am very careful to tell my students to not let the propane go for too long before it ignites, or we might have a nice surprise.

Old 2010-02-16, 10:11pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Sounds like your "friend" had some oxy turned on - that would explain the loud pop. But regardless, I wouldn't expect the face of the torch to fly off.

I would have your friend call GTT.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-16, 10:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Sounds like your "friend" had some oxy turned on - that would explain the loud pop. But regardless, I wouldn't expect the face of the torch to fly off.

I would have your friend call GTT.
I thought about the oxy, but she's very careful to turn off the oxy (she's on a concentrator, what a coincidence...) so she turns if off, lights the propane then slowly turns the oxy on... Maybe she wasn't as careful as she should have been. She's definitely going to call GTT in the morning, tho.

Old 2010-02-16, 10:28pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

My cricket had a stubborn oxy knob when I first got it - it's better now. Perhaps your friends case is similar.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-17, 11:00am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Hi Jenny - Oh my! My new cricket is still in the box awaiting its friends- oxycon, regulator, hoses etc- to show up....DH is already very concerned about having wifey in charge of the larger torch ("wifey" will definitely not be sharing this post!). I would so appreciate it if you would let us know what GTT told your
friend...... as I do not have a garage door (more like a bedroom door) to stop the trajectory.....Cheers! Joan

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-02-17, 11:41am

OK. GTT said that they've never heard of the torch tip coming off before. The consensus is that there was oxy mixed with the propane which was allowed to build because the striker didn't strike the first time. They suggested using
a Zippo lighter in the future. They also said that the torch doesn't need to be sent in since the tip was able to be put back on.

I did use the torch without incident last night (with the striker) so I'm going to just chalk this up to a one time deal and try to let it go.

Old 2010-02-17, 11:51am
Live and Let Live

I've never tried to 'deconstruct' a torch, but I'm amazed to read that the tip is just press-fitted! Really?!?! I think I'd feel better knowing that there were some threads involved in that attachment. I'm glad your 'friend' wasn't hurt. And I'd for sure never have anyone standing across the room when lighting / using it again! Eeek.

Old 2010-02-17, 11:57am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymama View Post
OK. GTT said that they've never heard of the torch tip coming off before. The consensus is that there was oxy mixed with the propane which was allowed to build because the striker didn't strike the first time. They suggested using
a Zippo lighter in the future. They also said that the torch doesn't need to be sent in since the tip was able to be put back on.

I did use the torch without incident last night (with the striker) so I'm going to just chalk this up to a one time deal and try to let it go.
You mean "your friend", right?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-17, 12:39pm
Fancy Mammal

Or did you go test your "friend's" for her?
Old 2010-02-17, 12:39pm

She was probably helping her "friend" by lighting her torch for her.
Old 2010-02-17, 12:47pm
one day at a time

Are you serious?! This tip was embedded in the garage door??!!! Do you realize how much pressure there must have been behind that tip for it to blow out like that?? Wow!

What were your oxy and gas pressures at that time, do you recall??

I would post this in the Safety forum and see what kind of answers you will get.

Last edited by Lisi; 2010-02-17 at 12:50pm.
Old 2010-02-17, 12:50pm
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Thanks, Jenny for the info! That's good advice Lisa - I will have to change the orientation of my torch when I set up the new one - that is scary that it just came out like that!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-02-17, 3:22pm

Lisi- The pressures that the lines were set at do not matter. There was an explosion in the torch that generated the pressure. Most hoses can only take 250 psi so the hose would burst before the tip blew off.

Old 2010-02-17, 3:41pm

Um, yeah. I was just helping my friend. She's still gun shy.

"Embedded" isn't really the right term. It was lying in the track of the door with a visable scratch where it hit. The workbench is about 7 ft from said door. That tip was moving! Thank goodness there wasn't anything (other than the door) in it's way.

Old 2010-02-17, 8:27pm
Critter Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torched Art View Post
I was assisting in a class at Bead expo. An older woman was trying and trying to make her striker work, all the while the propane ball of gas was building. Unfortunately she was directly under the vent that was blowing directly toward her. well, the fire ignited all around her and singed quite a bit of her short curled hair. She was ok, but I had to give her a new haircut. The whole class I'm sure remembers this.
This is exactly what happened to me...except for setting myself on fire. I'd never used a striker before and wasn't applying enough pressure when striking, which allowed a nice big cloud of propane to form in front of all of us. It scared the peedoodee out'a me (and probably everyone else at my table) and I always use a zippo now.

Old 2010-02-17, 8:32pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Um, yeah. I was just helping my friend. She's still gun shy.

"Embedded" isn't really the right term. It was lying in the track of the door with a visable scratch where it hit. The workbench is about 7 ft from said door. That tip was moving! Thank goodness there wasn't anything (other than the door) in it's way.
Oh okay, I was thinking it hit more like a bullet! Sounds like it still blasted off pretty hard though.
Old 2010-02-17, 8:38pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by meker View Post
Lisi- The pressures that the lines were set at do not matter. There was an explosion in the torch that generated the pressure. Most hoses can only take 250 psi so the hose would burst before the tip blew off.
Oops, I worded it wrong, I didn't mean the pressure in the hoses there isn't much there. I meant it's a heck of a explosion to blow the tip off. I didn't use flashback arrestors for a long time, and put them on because I read that when propane tank pressure is low like when it's running out, this can cause a flashback to the tank.
Old 2010-06-10, 2:03pm

Ok. This JUST happened to me!!!! There was a huge POP & the tip went flying off! It scared the Betelgeuse out of me. Problem: The tip is now no where to be found..... Jenny, can you get in touch & update me on your "friend"....
Old 2010-06-10, 3:03pm

Mini, once the tip was reset, the torch was fine. There's never been any more problems since I started lighting it with the Zippo. If you call the manufacturer of your torch (GTT?) maybe they can send you a replacement.

Old 2010-06-10, 6:20pm

Quote:
Mini, once the tip was reset, the torch was fine. There's never been any more problems since I started lighting it with the Zippo. If you call the manufacturer of your torch (GTT?) maybe they can send you a replacement.
Thanks Jenny! I really wish this HAD happened to my friend & not me. LOL. But I was using a lighter & not a sparker. So, I'm not sure that had anything to do with it really. I think it has to be something else. Anyway, I'll write to them tomorrow morning and see what they say. I'd hate to have to send it back from down here.
Thanks again.
Old 2010-06-14, 4:19am

That sounds like the gas is building up inside the torch and not on the outside. There had to be pressure inside to make the tip blow off like that. I think I would send it back to W and W and have them look at it real close just to be safe. There may be a leak inside and it could happen again. I've used alot of there torches and have never had that happen they realy need to check those out. If it was me I wouldn't lite it again until they looked at it even if I got the tip back in. They are great guys and I'm sure they will take care of it. Dan G
Old 2010-06-14, 11:42am

I haven't lit it yet as 1. I can't find the tip & 2. I haven't heard back from GTT. I'd hate to have to send it back from Buenos Aires. But I will if I have to.
Old 2010-06-14, 4:37pm

Actually, now that i think about it, Dan is probably right. I'm wondering if the tip was loose causing the build up & the 'explosion' which shot the tip off. Not that it's a huge number, but there are 2 of us already with this issue.

Does anyone know the right email address to send to GTT? I've used gtt@glasstorchtech.com from their website.
Old 2010-06-14, 8:25pm

I 'm just saying that there had to be pressure behind the tip to blow it off. If the gas and Oxy are mixed on the outside of the torch why did the Tip blow off from the inside. I'm not trying to start a problem but I think they should be checked before there are used again just to be safe. I know I wouldn't use it and take that chance. Dan