Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-11, 4:59pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

You were on the right track with the "kiss marks". Two beads touching and leaving an impression in each other or tacking to each other.

It can be a bit too hot without doing the whole gravity sag thing. I would recommend the external pyrometer you mentioned above. Artco has a good one for a decent price. Artco Pyrometer page You'd put the probe in the kiln in the same location as the thermocouple and at the same height in the chamber.

Depending on the number of degrees of difference there are several solutions. Once we get some numbers we can make a clear plan of attack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2013-07-11, 11:07am
Lover of all things color

I realized today (thanks Brad) that I never came back in here to post what happened to my kiln. And since this may help someone down the line here goes.

Ok so we got the new elements in and within about a month I had a new even more frightening problem. I started the kiln and started my first bead, I usually do a larger bead to start to let the kiln get up to temp. When I turned to put the bead in I glanced at the temp of the kiln to make sure it was up there and it was at 1100 f. Scared me to death.

I immediately flipped the togo switch but the darn thing kept climbing, and quickly, it was getting towards 1400. I ran to unplug it and called Pam. They surmised that it was the Relay switch that had gone bad and immediately sent me a new one (that wasn't fun to replace...LOL)

I haven't had any problems since and am guessing that it was the relay all along that was spiking the temp and blowing the elements. What really scares me is that it could have happened when I wasn't down there.

For about a month I would go down to the basement every hour to check the temp....just to be safe.

Bottom line, happy camper. Thanks again to Pam for being there to help get me back on track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2013-07-11, 11:45pm
one day at a time

If you can't afford the electrical upgrade to a 20 amp circuit in your studio, then run a 15 amp 12/3 gauge extension cord from either your kitchen or your laundry room. No more than a 50 ft cord. Kitchens and laundry rooms have 20 amp outlets.

I have a 15 amp kiln and I have been doing it this way for almost 11 years. My kiln is that old and I have never had to replace ANY parts in it. I replaced the extension cord three times, and that was because the ground prong got loose or broke off.
Old 2013-07-12, 2:55am
Lizard rescue squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
snip...
I haven't had any problems since and am guessing that it was the relay all along that was spiking the temp and blowing the elements.
...snip...
Bottom line, happy camper. Thanks again to Pam for being there to help get me back on track.
Hmmm, a bad relay as a potential source of element problems, eh? Somehow that sounds familiar. Where could I have possibly heard that before, lol?

I should also throw in that from what Jan has told me via email, the support she received from Glass Hive was great. Although I've never dealt with them myself, it sounds like their customer service is top notch.

Brad

Old 2013-07-14, 10:25am
Lover of all things color

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassmaker View Post
I should also throw in that from what Jan has told me via email, the support she received from Glass Hive was great. Although I've never dealt with them myself, it sounds like their customer service is top notch.

Brad
Boy, you can say that again, somewhere around element #3 they were on vacation and actually had some parts with them, I had a new element in days. That is way beyond the call of duty in my opinion.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2013-07-15, 5:41am

fwiw, and i don't recommend this, but i've got my kiln (bluebird xl) on an extrension cord, actually 100ft. it's an 8g cord, which was the biggest i could find. it doesn't even get warm, so i'm ok i think.
my studio is in the garage, which has no power. i have to run the extension cord from a dedicated 20a in the basement to my kiln, and my ventilation/lights/radio is on a seperate cord on a seperate regular outlet.
Old 2013-07-15, 7:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
I have a glasshive two door kiln that I got about three years ago. I have had to replace the elements three times now. AND they just went out again today.
It is likely that either something in a groove has contaminated the elements or that the element connectors were not tight enough.

When you replaced the three elements, had they broken in the same place? That would indicate a contaminant in a groove. Were any of the connectors burned? A loose element connector will cause the connector to burn off at the element pigtail.

Good luck with the repair. Please let us know what caused the element to fail.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com