Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2008-05-05, 4:29pm
I know, I can't spell

Default Photographing Dichroic

Hello, I hope that this is the correct area to submit this but I work mostly with Dichroic glass and in the fusing arena, I just recently took some photos of my piece that I encased in Silver. I do my own silver work too, and would like to hear peoples opinion on the piece. I will also post some other photos of some of my other pieces to get advice is that is okay. Thank you.

Aleina

The pictures of of close ups along the bracelet and one full view. Thank you
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-05, 7:28pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I hope you are looking for a critique on your pictures because I see several things... And its what we do in "the dark room"...

I notice a distinct reflection/shadow of what appears to be you standing over jewelry photographing it.... If this is true you need a better "tent" with only opening that camera lens pokes through.

For display the silver on black is good visually, photographically you have so much light onto silver it washes details out in silver... Camera is probably in auto mode and its trying to resolve the correct exposure setting on black back ground surface. You can probably try to shut down auto features and try some manual setting to resolve contrast issues.....

By the way, I like your work!....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2008-05-05 at 7:33pm.
Old 2008-05-05, 9:48pm
I know, I can't spell

Thank you Dale,

Yes I am definatly looking for critique. I have been trying to get that look without me hanging over it, however I am under 5 feet tall so it makes it a little hard to work with, I am next going to try putting it on the floor. For me this photo is a great improvement, and I will try the manual settings on my camera we will see how that goes. It is just hard to get dichroic to show when you are taking a picture of it in silver, usually the silver washed out anything inside. I will attatch a picture of my older photography (which is only about 12 pictures ago). The pictures of of the same piece one with the flash on, and one with out. But I will try to do what you suggest and see how I can get it to look better. thanks alot, I also really appreciate that you like my work, I am self taught when it comes to dichroic.
Attached Images

Old 2008-05-06, 8:06am
Gentleman of Leisure

Flash photography is definitely out.... Use a lot of ambient light (diffused) and maybe try a lighter color background...... The cool thing with digital, you can just delete any picture deemed a failure and you don't waste any $ on developing and printing....

Lots of good stuff written here on lighting, tents and general do and don't... Keep at it any you can self teach yourself ...

Most of all is "setup" .. Set work at comfortable level, put camera on tripod or clamppod... use remote cable on camera if available or use timer so nay shake or vibration settles down before exposure take place... Biggest issues will be backgrounds and lighting....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal