No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-07, 11:45am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Default Silver suppliers and jewelry making

This has probably been asked million times, but I am totally new to actually making jewelry, so I would love to know where do people buy their silver supplies, findings and other stuff. I am looking at places that have reasonable prices and also places that would have unique items.

Where do you get yours from?

What other materials you use to make jewelry of?
Old 2011-07-07, 2:00pm
Just Me

Check out your International Gem show they have twice a year - you've got another one coming up 10/7. Until silver prices went up (big time), those are what I've used the most. Other finding like pins, ear wires, etc., try Artbeads, Jewelry Supply.. I just shop around to see who's running sales. If you sign up for some of those sites, they will send you coupons. I personally love the quality of 20 ga. headpins at Artbeads. Once a month they email me a 20% off coupon. Sometimes I have a hard time waiting for that coupon because they'll send out 10% & 15% ones all the time but it pays to wait. Good luck!
Old 2011-07-07, 2:01pm
Just Me

.. and I love your beads! You will be making some beautiful jewelry!!
Old 2011-07-07, 3:00pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Aaawwww, thank you Barbara. My only problem is, that I work the weekends, so I am never able to attend the shows. But I bet searching online will work.
Old 2011-07-07, 3:15pm
FireBeads

Most of the gem/jewelry shows are open on Friday. They are really the best bet, you get to look at the stuff in person and often they have good prices.

Also check Rings n Things, Monsterslayer, Rio Grande. I'm sure you'll get a lot of names of places on here. Lately, I'm adding some alternative metals to some of my jewelry pieces - copper, brass and lead free pewter - as well as sterling. I like the look and it increases affordability. I tell people that copper is the "new silver", lol. Same thing happened back in the 80's when gold rose in price - sterling silver was the "new gold".
Old 2011-07-07, 3:34pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thank you Lindag, I work Friday through Sunday... Poopie doo!!!
I have wanted to think of using copper and brass, especially now that I am still trying to figure things out, and it is not as big of a loss if I mess up. But dont they turn your skin green? Whats the take on that?
Old 2011-07-07, 4:48pm

I think it depends on the person as far as the reaction goes. I don't react to it much on the skin (ear wires are a different story, I won't use a base metal for those - I think the potential for allergies are too high). There are also treatments like renaissance wax or spray sealers like permalac that get used and will provide a protective coating though the wax will where down in time and need to be reapplied. Trying the permalac is next on my list to try, especially for a bracelet that will get lots of skin contact and wear. I've been using the wax on my electroformed focals since I figure there won't be as much wear on those pieces.

As for silver goes, I've purchased from thunderbird supplies when they have their super sales, Halstead Beads (wholesale place but it was an easy application), and monsterslayer.com. Dreamland was recommended in the jewelry forum for silver chain if you aren't doing large buys but I have yet to try them yet. I like to add wirework to my pieces and tend to keep my silver beads pretty simple but their are some great bali silver and thai silver beads out there. I'm saving the few that I have to compliment those really "wow" lampwork beads that I have yet to make .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-07-07, 4:52pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thank you Tina, that helps tons! I have seen so many people use the base metals, and I figured there must be a way to seal them.
Old 2011-07-07, 5:23pm
Dark Flower Bead Art

I've used Rings and Things but they have a $50 minimum. Fire Mountain Gems used to be good but they have a lot of cheap stuff lately. I've been using etsy more and more. I like the idea of supporting other peeps like me. I use artbeads.com for tierracast stuff, which i seem to gravitate to lately. I rarely use silver only findings because i like to keep my cost down. I wish I could, i do line in silver and cap in silver when I'm making BHB. maybe if you posted a pic of what you are interested in we could help more. Michalel's is always good to walk in and get ideas... Good luck
Cara

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-07-07, 7:24pm

Hi Pia,
Try FusionBeads.com also. They are very similar to ArtBeads.com, with lots of the same stuff, but the prices are sometimes 10-20% lower, depending on what you buy. Comparison shopping pays off. They also have 20% off coupons occasionally (mostly around holidays), and 5% to 15% off coupons frequently. There is free shipping, and no minimum buys.
Cheryl
Old 2011-07-07, 7:29pm
grama punky - class junky

some new places I hadnt heard of..thanks!

Old 2011-07-07, 7:53pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Sweet, thank you so much! I have never even heard most of these places, since I never needed them. I will probably look at jewelry making with whole new set of eyes after Ive gone through some suppliers sites and compared and browsed.
I really appreciate how many have pitched in!
Old 2011-07-07, 9:09pm

I buy 90% of my supplies and tools from Rio Grande (good catalog, good website (now - it used to suck)not the best prices) ... the rest Monsterslayer, FMG (for one item mainly - quality is often poor), reactive metals and some from other people at bead shows or online like etsy.

Old 2011-07-07, 10:23pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thanks a bunch! I have one question though. When people wire up beads, do you buy ss headpins and cut off the excess, or do you make your own as you go (less waste)? And if you make your own, can that be done on our torch, or do you need a special torch, and what would that be called?
Old 2011-07-07, 10:31pm
Wonder-wench

It's possible to melt a nice ball on the end of silver wire with your torch, I've done it lots. Lamp working torch is probably a little overkill for this, but it works. Lots of info on the net if you search for "fuse ball silver" or something like that.

Old 2011-07-07, 10:41pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Thanks!
Old 2011-07-08, 12:06am

If you are making your own headpins, buy "fine" silver wire. 99% pure silver.

It doesnt firescale and needs no pickling or polishing.

But usually I cant be bothered making my own unless I want really thick ones.

Just cut off any excess wire after you wrap and the save the waste in a little jar. You can trade it in as scrap to the metal merchants.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!

Last edited by one hot beader; 2011-07-08 at 12:12am. Reason: typo
Old 2011-07-08, 12:25am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Ha, had no idea! Thanks!
Old 2011-07-08, 12:59am

Here is a crazy cheap torch that I have as a back up (hoarder) to my regular soldering torch.
http://www.meritline.com/hand-butane...--p-60295.aspx

I really couldn't believe how nice it was for the price.
Just the thing for making head pins because it's hands free.
It does come empty, and you are better off buying quality triple filtered Butane online or at a smoke shop, but I have used plain old Butane from the grocery store for years with no issues.

About Rio Grande, they are a bit pricey but have good quality, sometimes lacking from other resources.

Good luck on your new endeavor, Julie
Old 2011-07-08, 2:14am

I use lots of brass. I LOVE it! And I get it from Etsy. Beads used to accompany my piece, I buy at my local bead store to support small businesses. I would buy the brass from her but she doesn't carry it.

Old 2011-07-08, 2:37am
beads....mmmm

I think everyone has mentioned my fave silver vendors. If you decide to explore copper, go to your local hardware store and buy it from the spools. It's very inexpensive this way. Oh, and they have some interesting chain and hardware there, too.

I do love hardware stores.

::
Old 2011-07-08, 2:46am
Serenity Now!

Great suggestions everyone made. Just as an FYI - there are two fabulous sections on this forum devoted to jewelry making, supplies, etc. Tons of info to be found looking through the threads.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2011-07-08, 10:10am

I was going to suggest monsterslayer, but that's been mentioned. For copper, in addition to the hardware store, check out your local electrician. My husban plays poker with a guy who is one, and he saw some of the copper jewelry I make. One night, my husband came home with a big box of wire, scraps left over from projects he was working on. He said that usually he takes it to the metal recycler and gets paid by the pound for it, but he'd rather give it to me. I made his wife a nice necklace and he was ecstatic.

Another suggestion, if you have one nearby, is to buy from the metal recycling business itself. I've done that, they charge me $5-6/lb. I've gotten lots of copper wire, sheet and tubing from them. They also had a small amount of brass to choose from. It's a dirty, grubby business, but FUN. Definitely take gloves, because digging through sharp metal is dangerous!

If you're adventurous, also try your local silver/gold buyer. Mine will let me dig through his piles of scrap silver and sells it to me for whatever the price of silver is that day. I get a lot of my chain that way, but have also gotten lucky and found various findings, sterling sheet and wire, and lots of INTERESTING stuff that I'll eventually find a use for lol.
Old 2011-07-08, 11:16am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Wow, what amazing suggestions, I love them all. I love how creative people are able to think outside the box. I will save this thread forever and ever, cause there is so much info to come back to! Thank you everyone!
Old 2011-07-16, 9:29am

Try Etsy. Go to the supplies section and type in whatever finding you are looking for. I have had really good luck with them and have found some really great deals!
Old 2011-07-16, 1:42pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Duh, ofcourse, why didnt I think of that??? Thank you!
Old 2011-07-16, 3:17pm
Confused as usual

Halstead beads has the best silver and prices : )