No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-04-19, 9:50am
Wendy

Default Dichro sampler?

I tried some dichro when I first started on the HH and after burning the snot out of it, never tried it again. I'm feeling like I'd like to try again but have no idea what to buy.

Do you have a favorite vendor or type where I could order a sample pack of it? I work entirely in 104 so that's my only stipulation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me
Old 2010-04-19, 10:34am
Miles from nowhere...

Oh my gosh! Call Arrow Springs, ask for Amanda, and get some of the awesome lenticular dichro they have. It is so much easier to use, isn't as prone to scumming, and the colors are to die for. Very bright and vibrant. It was a one time deal for them, so it isn't on their website.

But- don't blame me when you want to have several pounds of it in every color. he, he.

Kate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-19, 10:41am
one day at a time

There is a member on here (Crystalflipz??) who makes dichroic stringers and I've read that they are lovely. BRB, let me check on something...
Old 2010-04-19, 10:44am
one day at a time

Yes, I was right, it's here and here's her Etsy shop:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/crystalflipz

I want some of these myself!
Old 2010-04-19, 5:47pm

Thanks so much for the compliment Lisi! I do love the dichro strips that Ron Bearer sells - it comes prefused and is not as prone to scumming. If you are looking for sparkle and no scumming, I have had friends come over who have never worked with glass before and they have used the stringers with no problem FWIW

Old 2010-04-19, 5:52pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Franz also sells Dichro sampler packs in clear or black base.

Old 2010-04-20, 8:03am
Peerless Thread Killer

I second the Arrow Springs lenticular dichro. It is fabulous, and so much easier to use.

Old 2010-04-20, 10:35am

We have tons of 104 COE Dichro Scrap by the pound. you can order 1/2 pounds even if you want.

great way to get variety, at a good price.

I have a lot of Rainbow 2 PLUS scrap in 104 right now. it's a much heavier coating, and is VERY difficult to burn out.

Old 2010-04-29, 8:04am
Wendy

Thanks everyone for the responses. Ordering some first thing tomorrow now that my workbench is finished!

Quote:
... Although that's probably part of what makes an artist a true artist.. you create things that you like and then wonder if anyone else could possibly like them without having seen the rest of the story that's still in your head. ~Me