Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-02-26, 1:44pm
I speak Murrini!

Default New Oxycon & Cricket - Can someone help me please?

OK - ridiculous question here, folks, but here goes!

I have a brand new Cricket
I have a new (refurbed) DeVilbiss 515 5lp oxycon

Now what? I have the oxycon set up with the green hose to the correct place on the torch - same with the propane. I have a flashback arrestor/quick disconnect on the Propane - which IS outside, and so I'm ready to go!

But....I admit, I'm a bit perplexed with the instructions on "running" the oxy for 20 minutes before torching, and also the advice to adjust your oxy at the oxycon instead of at the torch - huh?

Do I just light the propane at the torch, start the oxycon, and slowly open the oxygen at the torch?

Argh - what a Chicken Little! If anyone can offer me a step-by-step, I'd sure appreciate it! Once it do it properly ONE TIME, I'll never have to ask again! Promise!!! Just don't want to possibly damage my new oxycon or do something stupid.

Any "settings" advice would be great too! Like what PSI to set gas, etc.

Thanks my Peeps!
De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-02-26, 2:20pm

1) Open the oxygen valve on the Cricket.
2) Start up the oxycon.
3) Wait 20 minutes (optional)
4) Light torch (you can close the oxygen valve on your torch briefly to do this)
5) Melt glass
6) When taking a break, turn off the gas, but leave the oxycon running, and the oxygen valve on your torch open.

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-02-26, 2:47pm
PyronamixK

I would just add that when you open your oxygen valve up and start your oxycon, open the valve all the way on your torch and set the oxycon to 5 LPM. That way, no matter how big a flame, you won't pull out more than 5 LPM from your oxycon and you can adjust the oxygen with the torch valve. Just make sure that the ball on the flow meter never rests on the bottom and never goes above 5. The flow is measured by where the middle of the float ball hits on the scale.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2009-02-26 at 4:53pm. Reason: bad typo- I typed "about" instead of "above"
Old 2009-02-26, 2:55pm
I speak Murrini!

Malcolm and Kimberly~~~~

You guys are wonderful!!! Thanks so very much...

On your mark, get set, TORCH!!!

Hugs to you both!
De

Old 2009-02-26, 5:54pm
ninja thread killer

All of the above. De, you haven't used an oxycon before? Also, when I turn it off (oxycon & propane), I leave the valves open at the torch to bleed the lines.

AND before you light your torch, clean it . Every time. A quick little dittley poke in each thingy with the thingy GTT sent with the torch
Old 2009-02-26, 6:22pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keewin View Post
All of the above. De, you haven't used an oxycon before? Also, when I turn it off (oxycon & propane), I leave the valves open at the torch to bleed the lines.

AND before you light your torch, clean it . Every time. A quick little dittley poke in each thingy with the thingy GTT sent with the torch
Shoot!!! Thanks Kee...but I'm gonna go check the packing again - I didn't see any dittley thingie of any sort! Is there somewhere I can buy the doo-dad (or a couple of them!) to keep handy?

Thanks all...

De

Old 2009-02-27, 1:43pm
going crazy

On mine the 'dittley poke thing' was taped to the paper that came with it - it's just a thin, long piece of wire.

My button mandrel listed here!
Old 2009-02-27, 2:08pm

Yup, taped to the instruction paper that came with the torch.

Have fun with your Cricket. I am new to the world of flameworking and just got my Cricket last week. LOVE IT.
Old 2009-02-27, 7:41pm
I speak Murrini!

Well, maybe I should give GTT a call...I didn't get either an instruction sheet nor a pokie thingie...just an invoice and my wonderful torch!!! Hum...hope there wasn't anything on those instructions I missed - I want to fire it up tomorrow a.m.

Thanks all for your help and advice...

De

Old 2009-02-28, 11:44pm
Forever

I am purchasing a oxy con 15. Would I work it the same way? As it stands right now, I am struggling with the regulators. I just put a new oxygen tank on and the darn regulators keep loosing pressure. What the heck? I am searching right now to figure out what to do. I keep bleeding the lines and still loosing pressure. I think I will just put the regulators back on. So frustating... I feel like this is rocket science.

Once the oxy con is hooked up, do you go through this?? Please let me know...
Old 2009-03-01, 11:01am

Great advice from everyone for you. Someone else posted a rather clever idea somwhere here on LE. Don't rememer her name, unfortunately. As I recall, she put one of those oxygen splitters with shut-off knobs in-line with her oxycon. One side went to her torch, but she left the other side open to the room as a 'bleed'. When she wanted to torch, she left the side that went to her torch closed, but opened the 'bleed' side, and let the oxycon run for 10-20 minutes. She then turned her torch on as she would if she were on tanked 02, and when she had it adjusted, shut off the 'bleed' side. I forget why she did this, but seemed like an interesting idea, regardless.

Hopefully someone remembers her post and can give you a link to it.

Linda
Old 2009-03-01, 11:06am
PyronamixK

Check your lines for leaks. Keep in mind that when you set your regulator, then go start your torch, you will relieve some of that line pressure and your pressure will be lower than when your torch valves are closed. So, it's normal to see a drop in pressure in that sense. If you have the tank open and the torch valves closed, but the tank pressure drops, you're losing oxygen through a leak somewhere in your system.

When you use an oxygen concentrator, you do not need a regulator. The concentrator is already set.
Old 2009-03-01, 1:24pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLinda View Post
Great advice from everyone for you. Someone else posted a rather clever idea somwhere here on LE. Don't rememer her name, unfortunately. As I recall, she put one of those oxygen splitters with shut-off knobs in-line with her oxycon. One side went to her torch, but she left the other side open to the room as a 'bleed'. When she wanted to torch, she left the side that went to her torch closed, but opened the 'bleed' side, and let the oxycon run for 10-20 minutes. She then turned her torch on as she would if she were on tanked 02, and when she had it adjusted, shut off the 'bleed' side. I forget why she did this, but seemed like an interesting idea, regardless.

Hopefully someone remembers her post and can give you a link to it.

Linda
Linda~~~

This DOES sound like a fab idea...I'm gonna go see if I can find the right "Y" (I'll check Sundance first...); if anyone finds the thread in the meantime, though, I hope you'll post a link. This suggestion sounds like a winner...

De

Old 2009-03-01, 1:46pm
I speak Murrini!

OK, I've search LE the best I could - checked combining the word "connector" with "oxycon" and there's lot of great info. (and quite a bit of debate, too - giggle!) but I couldn't find the specific post for this "Y" connector question/theory to allow a "bleed" line on one side of the "Y" with an on/off control of some sort. If anyone can help me out, I'd sure appreciate it!

I did see "Y" connectors on Sundance - though I'm not sure what they have pictured there (about 1/4 way down the page, under "Y Connectors") is the regular "Y" (obviously!) and the ones with the little "flying saucers" on there - are those the "on/off" valves? Hum, doesn't look quite right...

Here's the link: http://www.sundanceglass.com/gas%20equipment-r.htm

Help? Pweeze? I'd love to know EXACTLY WHAT TO BUY so I'm not blowing it - AGAIN!

De

Old 2009-03-01, 6:36pm

She didn't say what part she used, but there aren't many to pick from. On Sundance's page, I'd say she was using the 101V - or Y connector for Oxygen with shut-off valves.

I'm still looking for her post, myself. It was some time within the last 6-8 weeks, just don't remember which part of the forum. I'll come back if I find it

Linda
Old 2009-03-01, 10:00pm
PyronamixK

You don't really need any special contraptions. Just leave the oxygen valve open on your torch whenever your concentrator is running.
Old 2009-03-01, 11:23pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
You don't really need any special contraptions. Just leave the oxygen valve open on your torch whenever your concentrator is running.
*contraptions*...what a great word! Thanks Kim...I think this is an awesome idea

De