No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-02-03, 10:26am
Miles from nowhere...

Question Lenticular Dichroic Glass

Back in June, I got some of the lenticular dichroic glass that Arrow Springs had on sale in a sample pack. I LOVE it, but waited too long to get some more. I called them and they aren't sure if they have any or not, I need to call back to talk to the dichro girl. I didn't see anything listed as such on their website. I googled it and came up with this, but I still don't know for sure if it's what I got. I'm going to call this company and talk to them about it.

I was just wondering if any of you also fell in love with this dichro and where do you find it? Thanks!
Kate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-03, 11:13am
addicted to dichro

I have no idea but I want to see a picture of what you're talking about really bad.

Old 2010-02-03, 11:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyjw View Post
I have no idea but I want to see a picture of what you're talking about really bad.
Me too!

These guys appear to have some for sale, but no pictures to satisfy my curiosity.

|
Old 2010-02-03, 3:03pm
Life is change. Love it

Me three!

Old 2010-02-03, 6:48pm
Miles from nowhere...

I spoke with a few people as well as Amanda at Arrow Springs and here's what I found out. Lenticular refers to the texture of the glass, not the specific type. I had looked it up on my invoice and AS called it Lenticular, but I think they did that because they had to call it something, and it was a sample pack with some lenticular in it. (that is the dichroic with the ridges in it). But- what is different about this dichroic is that it is on Uroboros 104 instead of Effetre. No one else carries this, or even knew what I was talking about.

AS offered this as a sample pack - I think that if more people tried this dichro it would really catch on. It hardly scums at all- the edges are more rounded and it is really easy to seal it.

Arrow Springs has a small amount left, but sounded like they might be willing to carry it if there was enough interest. If you like dichroic, try this, it is AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!

You will have to call them to order it, as it isn't on web. If you ask for Amanda (I think that's her name...she's the dichro girl there) she will know what you're talking about. She already went out to the warehouse and looked to see what colors she had left.

I searched the LE forum this am and found an awesome photo in one of the show and tells, but can't find it now. I'll look more tomorrow.

Here is a heart that I made yesterday. It's the dichro with all clear glass- so it's not vibrant, but if you put it over colors, it really pops.

Kate

Old 2010-02-04, 8:48am

Are you sure that the glass is 104? I thought Uroboros only made 90 and 96?

Mimi
Old 2010-02-04, 9:00am
Peerless Thread Killer

I got some of that from Arrow Springs back when they had it on their sale flyer. I really loved it-much easier to use than any other dichro I had tried. I would totally want them to carry it as a regular item. I only have one or two sticks left.

Old 2010-02-04, 9:24am
Miles from nowhere...

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xMI View Post
Are you sure that the glass is 104? I thought Uroboros only made 90 and 96?

Mimi
Apparantly they make the sheet glass in 104- at least that's what Arrow Springs told me.

Kate

Old 2010-02-04, 10:12am
Miles from nowhere...

Here are some more photos:

Old 2010-02-04, 4:45pm
Glass-aholic

Yes I remember getting this it WAS GREAT!!!! and then i never had a chance t order it again! I loved the edges!! made it easy to encase with little scumming, and the clear was awesom(PS also from arrow springs in sample pack, whom i love!!!)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-02-04, 7:22pm

Thanks, Kate.

Mimi
Old 2010-02-05, 7:17am
Lover of all things color

I got some of it when Arrow Springs first listed it, then got three more bundles. Haven't used much of it but I do still love it. Hope we can find out where they got it.
It kind of reminds me of corduroy in that it is bumpy.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-02-05, 7:22am
Lover of all things color

Found these images in my archives. Samples of the lenticular dichroic.
Love it

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-02-05, 9:40am
into the fire

ohh that looks cool - I would order some !
Old 2010-02-05, 9:59am
Miles from nowhere...

Ahhh, beautiful! Thanks for posting those Jan. That is a perfect example of the vibrant colors!

absinthestudio- please contact Arrow Springs and let them know. They said if there is enough interest, they will carry it on a regular basis. I just think that not enough people knew about it- or we are all still using the sample pack!

Kate

Old 2010-02-07, 1:37pm

Thank you for mentioning this - perfect timing. I went to the Best Bead show in Tucson last Wednesday and found that AS had it mixed in with the regular dichroic strips. Must have fallen in my cart, Will have to wait a couple of weeks to get home and try it. It does look interesting. Carole
Old 2010-05-12, 3:08pm

I just ordered some lenticular dichroic from Arrow Springs and I thought I would include this info here for anyone else who might be interested.

Quote:
The lenticular is not on the web because it is something we don’t always carry. It is a specialty glass and many times we don’t have a large variety of colors. But you are in luck! We currently have several colors in stock. They are all on clear and I can cut the strips ¼”-1” wide.

Standard Colors: $11.00 per/oz (about two 1/4” strips equal one oz.)
-Emerald, Salmon, Cyan/Red, Cyan/DkDkRed, Yellow/Purple

Premium colors: $13.00 per/oz
- Green/Magenta, Green/Pink, Rain 2, Red/Silver/Blue, Silver.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any more questions.

Amanda Crandall
Arrow Springs
800-899-0689
Old 2010-05-12, 3:45pm
Entropy increasing....

Why is it called lenticular? What is lentil shaped about it?
Old 2010-05-12, 8:45pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Lol!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lenticular is an adjective often relating to lenses. It may refer to:

* Lenticular cloud, a lens-shaped cloud
* Lenticular galaxy, a lens-shaped galaxy
* Lenticular (geology), adjective describing a formation with a lens-shaped cross-section
* Lenticular lens, which magnifies different images when viewed from different angles
* Lenticular nucleus, a lens-shaped nucleus in the brain
* Lenticular printing, a technology for making moving or 3D images
* Lenticular truss bridges

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-05-17, 8:35am
Miles from nowhere...

Hey Kevan,
From what I have been told, the lenticular part refers to the lines across it. I'm not sure how that relates to the definitions of lenticular.

I have some more coming, it should be here soon. YAY!

Kate

Quote:

Old 2010-05-17, 11:39am
Entropy increasing....

Actually, lentils are lenticular shaped beans.

Lenticular printing is the kind of picture that you turn and see the photo one way and then turn it and see it another. Like those pictures of Jesus where his eyes open and close.

Does it do that?
Old 2010-05-17, 7:42pm
Dangerous Woman

Any pictures of this glass?

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2010-05-17, 7:52pm

Hmm. I'll have to ask about some of that when I head up to Arrow Springs next month.
under construction -
Old 2010-05-18, 6:44am
Miles from nowhere...

Quote:
Actually, lentils are lenticular shaped beans.

Lenticular printing is the kind of picture that you turn and see the photo one way and then turn it and see it another. Like those pictures of Jesus where his eyes open and close.

Does it do that?
Hmmm, I don't think it does, but maybe it's even way KEWLER than I thought! Kate

Old 2010-05-18, 6:45am
Miles from nowhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by playswithfire104 View Post
Any pictures of this glass?
There are several photos above....

Kate

Old 2010-05-20, 9:55am

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Found these images in my archives. Samples of the lenticular dichroic.
Love it

This texture looks to me like the "reeded" sheet.

Is there a way to show a picture of the raw material, before it's melted into a shape?

CBS coatings are the best. As far as the 'textured' sheets, mostly it's Uroboros who makes them. They make a sheet that has round 'bumps' on it that give subtle color shifs around those circles. But "lenticular" has me intrigued exactly what texture is like looking at the sheet itself. I was not aware Uroborus worked in 104, but hey, you learn something new every day.