Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-17, 1:48pm
Piscean Fire Goddess

Default Gaffer Glass Question

Oki, I finally got my greedy little paws on some wonderous gaffer glass.
I'm wondering - what is the best way to work it?
Over another colour?
Flat/lentil/tab beads? I noticed that with round ones you don't see the wispy effect of the glass as much

Thanks for all the information you can provide. I think I'm in LOVE though, just so you know.

Hugs,
Sarah

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- SJS Glasswork & Creations
Exploring a philosophical fantasy world.
Old 2005-06-17, 2:53pm
Satake Woman!

Sarah,

My big problem is with the denser colors. I have a hard time remembering not to put them on the top of the bead, cause you can't see a thing through them. I also found that silver with the dark colors tends to turn them all about the same color.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-06-17, 4:57pm
needs to light the torch.

I always go to Vals website and look at her beads...
http://www.glasspoet.com/

And there is ToniL... OHMYGOD I LOVE her beads!!!!
http://www.wildwoodsartglass.com/

I know they both use a lot of frit layered in their beads...

Old 2005-06-17, 10:08pm
maybe tomorrow

Wow Nicole! Thanks!!

Sarah, what colors did you get? In the veiled canes, my favorites are the denser colors like the cobalt and black. I like that they hold their color even when worked hot, which I tend to do. For the lighter, less dense colors, be be sure to work cooler or you'll lose the color.

I get most of my color from frit, so I use mainly clear cane with just accents of the colored ones. If you're making beads with just the wispy canes, I'd think that lentils or tabs would show the effect well.

Well...that probably didn't help you much.

Have fun!

Toni

Old 2005-06-18, 6:52am

Val has said to think "Watercolors". Meaning layer colors that are close on the color wheel. Like Pink and orange are good, but red and green are opposite on the color wheel, so they make things look muddy. Once I got that concept down, things got much better for me. You can get creative and use opposite colors on the wheel together, but you need to do it differently. I used Red and Green on the same XLarge Lentil, but I tried to keep the colors on opposite sides of the bead with white and clear has buffers. That worked well.

I think my favorite effects come from a clear or white core, rolled in frit sporadically and then built up with clear and accented with some colored rod...

I hope that helps. Have fun!!!

My Daughter and Husband Wrote a book.

The Car Catch-all...the most useful non-lampworking item ever!
Old 2005-06-18, 2:17pm
Piscean Fire Goddess

WOW! Thanks for all the info.
BTW Amy hon... I LOVE LOVE LOVE my pillow/diamond mini duo and my small kalera. I want more. I was telling Jenn, I think last time I looked I was at 10 presses I wanted. Now I just need to sell more beads to be able to eventually buy some presses from you. I've been lucky with trades for stars and goddess beads.

Hi all...
we went to an airshow
Got some cool pics I'll post them either later tonight (depending on when hubby gets off the other comp) or tomorrow morning.

Here is what I did with my gaffer and shampoo. What do you all think?

- SJS Glasswork & Creations
Exploring a philosophical fantasy world.
Old 2005-06-18, 2:23pm
needs to light the torch.

Duh! I forgot to show you guys my Gaffer Hollows!

Your welcome Toni! I LOVE your beads, the colors you get are spectacular!!!!

Old 2005-06-18, 8:07pm

Nice beads ladies!

Sarah, I'm loving that shampoo glass! Very consistant beads too. I'm glad that you like you tools, also glad you are trading for them. That is great!

My Daughter and Husband Wrote a book.

The Car Catch-all...the most useful non-lampworking item ever!
Old 2005-06-19, 8:50am

Help! What's Gaffer Glass?? It looks gorgeous.
Old 2005-06-19, 8:56am
Detail G-Mama!

Whoa!!! Those are gorgeous beads!! Is there gonna be any of that glass at the Gathering?? I haven't got to work with it yet either and I just love it!!

Old 2005-06-19, 3:56pm
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie
Help! What's Gaffer Glass?? It looks gorgeous.
Gaffer glass is handpulled cane made by glassblowers from clear Gaffer(tm) batch and colored frit (Gaffer is a glass company in New Zealand). The Gaffer company does not make the cane, but my handpulled cane (and Val's) are referred to as "Gaffer" because that is what it is made from. It has a COE of 96 and can be "loaded up" with frit, unlike the softer glasses, with which you should only use a little bit.

Old 2005-06-19, 9:50pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts
Whoa!!! Those are gorgeous beads!! Is there gonna be any of that glass at the Gathering?? I haven't got to work with it yet either and I just love it!!
Hey Anne,

I could maybe be persuaded to bring you a bit to play with since you're going to have to put up with me for several days.

Toni

Old 2005-06-20, 4:44am
Detail G-Mama!

Ooooo!!! Thank you!!! I promise not to tell anyone! Now what would you like in trade for it?

Old 2005-06-20, 8:02am
obsessed with odd lots

I wanna share some of my gaffer beads too - I love it!
Attached Images

Click below for a fun and addictive game:

Old 2005-06-20, 8:47am
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Ricketts
Ooooo!!! Thank you!!! I promise not to tell anyone! Now what would you like in trade for it?
Hmmm....

Toni

Old 2005-06-20, 9:21am
maybe tomorrow

Great beads everyone! I just love the colors. Here are a couple from awhile back. I need to take more pictures!

Is there an "Image Uploader" here, or just the "Manage Attachements"? I didn't find it where I was expecting it.

Toni
Attached Images

Last edited by Toni Lutman; 2005-06-20 at 9:24am.
Old 2005-06-21, 1:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Joseph
Gaffer glass is handpulled cane made by glassblowers from clear Gaffer(tm) batch and colored frit (Gaffer is a glass company in New Zealand). The Gaffer company does not make the cane, but my handpulled cane (and Val's) are referred to as "Gaffer" because that is what it is made from. It has a COE of 96 and can be "loaded up" with frit, unlike the softer glasses, with which you should only use a little bit.
It's just gorgeous! And REALLY tempting. Thanks for the explanation.