LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-07-22, 10:11am
CA Queen Bitch

Found them Dale, it's an Airsep GENERATOR Model AS016-3. Hubby has it filling a tank, then to my torch. It sputtered at lot at the torch before he did that. Any suggestions?

~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-07-22, 11:17am
Safety ALWAYS

Here are the recommendations by Bethlehem for *ALL* their torches, from the Piranha up to the Great White:

Propane pressure: 5 PSI
Oxygen pressure: 20 PSI

"Burners attached to an oxygen generator may not perform as well as burners using compressed gas. Oxygen generators may not be able to deliver the volume of oxygen at full flame settings. This is not true for all oxygen generators. Note: if your oxygen generator has a pressure delivery of less than 10 PSI, then it will not deliver the total cubic feet per hour that is needed for full flame."

Piranha: 2.8 cubic feet per hour of propane, 9.6 cubic feet per hour oxygen (79.5/272 liters per hour)

Barracuda: 8.4 CFH propane, 42.0 CFH oxygen (238.6/1192 LPH)

Tiger Shark: 12.0 CFH propane, 48.0 CFH oxygen (340.8/1363.2 LPH)

Great White: 48.1 CFH propane, 84.5 CFH oxygen (1366.0/2399.8 LPH)

Hope this helps.

To get liters per minute from liters per hour, divide liters per hour by 60.
Old 2005-07-22, 11:40am
Bead Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra j ziolkowski
Wow guys- I cant wait to start saving $$$$. Its costing me a fortune in #&*#*&$
Air. What a great idea. Thanks for all the input, I think we will all ,me, my torch and my husband, since I dont actually make any money yet, will be very happy.
I have a minor and run one concentrator 95% of the time. Once in a while I will hook up and run with two concentrators. I do that when I'm working with copper green and any other glass that is really tempermental to a reducing flame.

One word of warning that I don't think anyone has mentioned here....they are very noisy. Just so you are prepared. It wouldn't change my decision, I still am very glad I switched.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-07-22, 3:44pm
Flame Glass Beads

Location: Panhandle of West Virginia somewhere between PA and OH

One more question about the concentrator- Does it connect easily to the hoses to the torch???? I looked into a place today about buying a used one and the guy sounded positive but its up to someone else, and no price quote yet. It seems that $200 is the average price? For a used one anyway.
The one he pointed out to me had 28000 hours logged one it.
Sandi
Old 2005-07-23, 4:19am
Professional Bead Pimp

Most concentrators have a fitting on the front panel called a "B" Oxygen Fitting where the oxygen comes out.

Some have just a hose barb, and in that case, you will cut the brass fitting off the end of the hose, slip the hose over the hose barb, and use a small clamp to hold the hose on.

If you have a choice, just tell them you want to buy one with the "B" fitting.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-07-23, 8:20am
Gentleman of Leisure

Here is a picture of making a connection to oxygen concentrator.

1. Picture of oxy con with the "tubing adapter" in place for use with medical applications.

2. Oxy con with adapter removed and threaded outlet port showing.

3. Oxygen hose with "B" fitting about to be connected to oxy con.

4. Oxygen hose connected to oxy con.

Your oxygen concentrator may be of a different brand name or style, but the concept is the same. In some cases the adapter in pic. 1 may not be removable, so one just cuts off the "B" fitting in pics. 3 & 4 and slip hose directly on adapter fitting.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-07-23 at 11:06am.
Old 2005-07-24, 11:00am
Flame Glass Beads

You guys and gals are awsome!!!!! I will let you know how this ends. I jsut blew through 3- 92#ers this past week and and I spend alot more time chasing my two small boys around than I did making beads. If my local contacts fizzle out i'll have to look at e-bay.
Thanks again
Old 2005-08-03, 2:09pm
Flame Glass Beads

Default I just recieved my oxygen concentrator !!HELP!!

It came without a user manual so Im now printing one off ,all 64 pages. It doesnt have a B oxygen fitting it only has little do-hickey above the 02 cylinder( and what is that stuff for?) So Im guessing that little do-Hickey is where I clamp on the oxygne hose? After that Im ready to go? I feel like I did the first time I lit my torch.
Thanks Sandi
Old 2005-08-03, 2:30pm
Professional Bead Pimp

What do you mean by "do-hickey". Is it something that looks like a 'christmas' tree ??

Some have the 'christmass' tree fitting (Dales' pic #1 above) screwed onto the 'B' ox fitting.

Some have just a short (maybe 1/2" long or so) plastic 'nipple' sticking out the front. If it is the nipple-type, just cut the fitting off the green hose and clamp it on.

Small hose clamps are available at places like AutoZone, Discount Auto Parts, or Pep Boys.

"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7
Old 2005-08-03, 2:54pm
Flame Glass Beads

Bill it is a little, graduated,smaller at the end approximatly 1/2 " long do-hickey. It as two tiers of graduation. I could take a picture maybe. But thats it.
Sandi
Old 2005-08-03, 3:50pm
Gentleman of Leisure

ACK... There is one concentrator out here that only has a little black plastic ribbed connector that takes a pushon (medical) oxygen hose...

Dont rmember the name of the concentrator, but on another site/post (might have been WC) somebody ran into same thing I believe. Response was something like go to concentrator/medical supplier and ask for a "humidifier bottle adapter". Apparently it pushed on to the plastic fitting and has a "b" oxygen connector on it...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2005-08-03, 5:37pm
Flame Glass Beads

That might turn out to be right because this one talks about a humidifier bottle that you can attach to it. I will give it a try.
Sandi
Old 2005-08-03, 6:24pm
Professional Bead Pimp

Sandi,

A picture might be a good idea. It might be what is called a "luer" fitting. This is a push-on, half twist kind of thing.

Bill

Old 2005-08-04, 9:07am
Flame Glass Beads

Im all set with the concentrator. I went to a local store and lied about why I needed it and they gave me a humidifier bottle adaptor. It attached to that do-hickie on the front just right, that was the ticket. Most medical supply stores will not sell to you without a prescription. The one that would wanted 400.00 for the concentrator unit. Anyway it works great. Thanks for the input im sure it wont be the last time you hear from me.
Grateful Sandi
Old 2005-08-10, 2:55pm

Question Do I need an Oxygen Regulator with an OxyCon?

I'm about to take the step up from a Hot Head to an Oxy-Propane set up My big question is - Do I need to get an Oxygen Regulator if I am going to use an Oxy Concentrator? I'm probably going to get a Piranha and will be piping my propane through a window, so where do I hook the Propane regulator up? Any and all advice will be appreciated.
Old 2005-08-10, 3:18pm
Safety ALWAYS

No - you don't need an oxygen regulator when you are using a concentrator - there's one built into the machine.

The propane regulator threads onto the threaded fitting on the propane tank.