Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2010-06-30, 6:25pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

Default Zen Cart - How hard to install and customize?

I have godaddy hosting and one of the free installations they offer is zen cart. How hard is to customize the design and set up the shopping cart? Anyone know?

I had pappashop for a long time but really looking to try something different.
Old 2010-06-30, 6:40pm
Hello?

The learning curve on zen cart can be daunting. Its a rather robust shopping cart. The plus side, its backed by a large group of developers and other zen users willing to lend a hand with any problem.

If you know HTML and understand how PHP works, customizing zencart will be very easy for you.

I've been using it for many years so if you need any help I would be glad to try and help you figure things out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-06-30, 10:57pm
Tonbodama Murrini maker

well i think it is a peace of cake. But i have been makign websites for a long time.

Both Frit & Glas and FengFritFactory are ade with zen-cart and they look totally different from one another.

You could make our own template, or purchase one that you like best. Install and go from there.

Just play with it and you will learn. There is also a ZEn-Cart book available with all common things in it for adjusting etc.

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2010-07-01, 4:10am
ManBearPig

I tried three different installations of Zen Cart and they all ran so slow that they were borderline unusable. I like the features that Zen Cart offers, but I would hesitate to recommend it.

I have used Cube Cart in the past and it worked flawlessly. I use X-Cart on my site and it works very well as well, although it's not free.

Old 2010-07-01, 5:48am
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

my wife did my website. according to her zen cart was easy to use. it doesn't seem to run slow for us.

Old 2010-07-01, 9:26am
Cats & Glass!

Chad, if it ran slowly for you, it was likely your hosting. I've found, that for example, POWWEB is a terrible ZenCart host. HostGator seems nice and speedy.

Megan, if you get stuck with basic questions, I can help you too. There is a lot to set up on the back end of ZenCart and some where you actually need to be able to ftp to your site (or use your site's admin panel) and edit files. File editing is the trickiest part as one letter or character out of place can break your site.

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2010-07-01, 9:48am
ManBearPig

I ran two installations on 1and1.com and one on Rapidhost. All three had the same problem. Not sure why hosting would be an issue though. Plenty of transfer and storage. Other more data-intensive programs run fine.

Old 2010-07-01, 9:55am
Cats & Glass!

I think it has to do with what database server you're on, honestly. At first, POWWEB was great but as their server loads grew, sites would just hang. They even admitted that was the problem (at least with their hosting). I could't move people off fast enough. Then I moved to a "ZenCart certified host" and they keep getting attacked right left and center because an unpatched ZenCart is a beautiful thing to hackers. I'm not saying they host unpatched sites but they have made themselves a big fat target. So now I'm on to big commercial hosting again it seems to work awesomely well - for now.

(Oh yeah, someone I know is on 1and1 and it can be excruciatingly slow - but only at times. Like maybe when the host has some process running.)

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2010-07-01, 10:49am
ManBearPig

Strange that everything else I've run on 1and1 runs fine. Sounds like it may be a problem with Zen Cart and not the host.

I hope the developers of the software can figure out what's wrong with it. It seems like a good solution, but doesn't work well as it is.

Old 2010-07-02, 4:26am
Tonbodama Murrini maker

I have over 2500 items and even more pictures up in my zen-cart and all data comes in 3 languages and it is not slow at all. Most likely it would be caused by yoru hosting.

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2010-07-02, 4:41am
I fart diamonds

I love Zen-Cart and have never had an issue with slowness, either. It's not that difficult to set up (not easy peasy, but not hard) and the help forums are awesome. It's definitely a lot easier to get up and running than OSCommerce, the platform it was built off.

Old 2010-07-02, 7:48pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post
I have over 2500 items and even more pictures up in my zen-cart and all data comes in 3 languages and it is not slow at all. Most likely it would be caused by yoru hosting.
Shouldn't be caused by the hosting. I've been talking to some friends of mine who own a hosting company and they don't know of a reason a certain piece of software would run slowly on a site if others run fine. Especially when another piece of software has a database about 20 times the size of the Zen Cart and runs probably 30 times the queries that Zen Cart does. Not trying to argue. Just relaying what I've found out. I know plenty about the front end of web sites and software, but don't know a lot about the back end stuff.

Granted, I haven't tried Zen Cart in probably 3 years, so it may be better now. I haven't tried it since then. Like I said, looks like a good piece of software, but didn't work for me.

Last edited by Cosmo; 2010-07-02 at 7:54pm.