LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-08-11, 8:35pm

Default Making Studio Safe when closing up.

When you are finished torching for the day and you're shutting up shop till tomorrow, or next time (and this is for those of you who have a permanent set up I mean),

*Do you disconnect everything for safety? Propane? Oxygen?
*Do you unplug your kiln and oxy tank etc...in case there is a lightening storm?

I'm afraid my obsessive compulsive will kick in and I'll be going out every 5 minutes to check and see if i turned everything off properly so I don't blow everything up! lol

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley
Old 2009-08-12, 3:30pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Definitely disconnect the propane every time. I do not unplug my kiln, but it's not a bad idea. Your oxy tank will not be plugged in

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-08-12, 6:01pm
Borovangelist

Most of the time the kiln's ramping down when I close up, so I can't unplug it.

I drain my gas lines and back off the regulators but other than turning off the fan and lights I don't do anything else special. Of course my shop's a shed located away from the house too so I don't worry too much about it. I did at first, but now, not so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Old 2009-08-13, 1:18am

I don't have an oxy tank, I have a generator. I don't have a single thing hooked up yet, still waiting for everything to get here. So I still have everything to learn.

I just wondered about how everyone handles their safety procedures. My location is also a shop building away from my house, but still....

I saw someone on here write that they are afraid of flames but love lampworking....that's gonna be Me Too!

-Michele

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley
Old 2009-08-13, 4:24am
Happiness is....

I empty the propane lines when I'm finished, I don't unhook them from the torch. Most folks don't unhook the line from their BBQ grill every day either...

I empty the oxy con lines too..
I unplug the kiln when it has finished ramping down, it's on an extension cord to the house. I don't close the garage door until I unplug the kiln though.

lights, fan off, window closed it the winter, ta da...

A Crickett and 2 5lp oxycons
Old 2009-08-13, 5:04am
Anyone need some spacers?

Most folks BBQ's are not located in their house

Old 2009-08-13, 5:30am

After the torching is done, we drain the lines and turn off the ventilation. We have a quick disconnect on on the propane hose at the regulator and will unhook it from the propane tank that is outside the garage. I should move it further away from the house then, but most times don't.

We keep the kilns plugged in all the time. I know this is bad, and we had to have the controller board on one replaced by Paragon ($100) when the transformer that served several houses on our street blew up. It also took out a TV, a couple VHS and DVD players, and a computer. Insurance and the electric company said they were both not responsible so we had to eat all the replacement costs.

I would add another end of the day task. Clean up your bench and area. This will keep the little super sharp bits of glass from getting you and also make it easier to work the next time. Also if you are using multiple types of glass it will cut down on mixing COEs.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.