Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2010-10-18, 4:00am
Serenity Now!

Default PappaShop problem

I've been using PappaShop web hosting. I received an e-mail that my domain was going to expire soon, but that it was set to auto renew, and I should contact them if I wanted to cancel it. So I did nothing, figuring it would auto-renew as they promised.

Well today my site is down, with a message to say it is expired. Huh?

Anybody else have this problem with PappaShop? It's not my first problem with them as my web-host - in the past I have been given the run-around by them on more than one occasion before they finally stepped up and "fixed" whatever needed to be fixed (always through some fault of their own system), and I am pretty ticked off. Their 24/7 service which they advertise on their site is...non-existant.

Anybody have other web-hosting ideas whereby I could just switch over?

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-10-18, 6:37am
Katherine

maybe your cc expired? I would contact them. I use dodaddy and they give me lots of notice. Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-11-10, 9:26am

I have to say (IMHO) pappa shop is the worst customer service of any I have had. My site could not been seen 50% of the time, not good when you have a sales site. I switched to shoppe pro and except for one time (when I forgot to pay the bill) the customer service is far superior to any I have had. I have been trying to get Jeanette to switch over but she has not had any of the problems I had so she is staying (it is hard to move so many items once they are set up on a s site.

If I was looking today for a new hosting company I would choose Shoppe pro, it is run by a couple of ladies that really try their best to give great service.

I do have several of my sites on a close friends server and of course I get great service there, but he does not rent space to everyone so I did not include him in my comments above.

Just my 2 cents
Chuck

Old 2010-11-10, 10:46am

I have had nothing but problems with pappashop since I got my new computer. I use Firefox and not Internet Explorer now, I refuse to. I can't even update my site anymore because Firefox does not work with their WYSIWYG editor. Yesterday I contacted their customer support again and was basically told "oh well, too bad we can't help you"

I use my hubbies pc to do some updates but its not something I wish to do often.
Old 2010-11-10, 10:54am
I'm a lilac!

I hate to say it, but I have been burned by mom-and-pop web hosts too many times. I don't want to support corporate hosting, but I'd look for a small hosting company with a few employees. It helps when more than one person cares about the fate of the company, and therefore the fate of all the people relying on them for hosting.

Old 2010-11-10, 11:59am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I will add my complaints to the Pappashop complaint pile. 24/7 customer service? Hardly. I got the run around like you wouldn't believe last time the shopping cart was down for nearly 2 days. And they stop answering the phone at 5pm. Period. Weekends? Forget about it.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-11-10, 12:30pm
novembersfyre everywhere

For those of you that have changed your web hosting is it just a matter of changing your DNS server to the new hosting service? I'm assuming you would have to notify your current provider that you are dropping them.

Old 2010-11-10, 12:47pm
I'm a lilac!

You have to migrate all your website files to the new host. That's about the extent of my knowledge!

Old 2010-11-11, 10:30am
I speak Murrini!

I know so little about web-design blah, blah! I bought my domain name several years ago, paid quite a bit to have my site designed and established (by a "Pappashop authorized designer" whom I can no longer find nor contact!!! ) but I just HATE having to go in there and upload stuff. My time is so tight...and I had to learn quite a bit about how t get it at least showing SOME stuff. Mostly though I'm using it as a Gallery and having people come on over to my Etsy to purchase. Argh!

My biggest peeve: I'm being told by PappaShop's techs that I can't "rearrange" my uploaded Gallery photos to all line up so that three-across photos of one item sort of just end up randomly shown hither-tither amongst other items shown - and I can't drag 'em into proper order nor force it in any way to line up properly. It looks like a jumbled up big mess to me and I'm really annoyed and disappointed!!!!

I've been told by them:

"The Gallery just doesn't have the feature that you are looking for.

But you could make a page
Place the thumbnail of your image
Hyperlink thumbnail to large version

This would keep them organized the way you want them."

Huh? Sheesh, I don't have the first clue on how to do THIS!

I'm ready to make a switch, but don't know if other providers will accept my "pre-made" webpage nor whom might offer me the options I'm looking for.

Those of you who've made a switch...who are you guys going with? I could sure use some help! I need one of these:

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2010-11-11 at 10:32am.
Old 2010-11-11, 1:22pm
formerly Marella

I switched from Yahoo Small Business to ShoppePro two years ago and have found them to be great....no problems with the site being down, and quick to answer questions.

...love them...

~
~
~
Old 2010-11-12, 2:43pm
Pappashop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the Moon View Post
Well today my site is down, with a message to say it is expired. Huh?

Their 24/7 service which they advertise on their site is...non-existant.
You were given the possible reason

"This could be a problem with the connection to the domain registration - since this is working now we can not troubleshoot the problem"

We are working with computers and things happen that are out of our control.

"Their 24/7 service which they advertise on their site is...non-existant."
you submitted your ticket at
10/18/2010 03:12
and received an answer at
10/18/2010 03:26

14 mins. that doesn't seem like "non-existant"

I understand your unhappy with what happened, like we said sometimes computers and programs don't do as they should - this is not a common but it does happen. In your case the domain register company site was down at the time your domain renewed.

Your received quick attention and it was resolved in a few hours.

Old 2010-11-12, 2:52pm
Pappashop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCraig View Post
I have had nothing but problems with pappashop since I got my new computer. I use Firefox and not Internet Explorer now, I refuse to. I can't even update my site anymore because Firefox does not work with their WYSIWYG editor. Yesterday I contacted their customer support again and was basically told "oh well, too bad we can't help you"

I use my hubbies pc to do some updates but its not something I wish to do often.
you were never told "oh well, too bad we can't help you"

In fact we spent quite a bit of time helping you with a script created by another company.

You had a problem with an etsy script how is that a pappashop problem - did Etsy help you with it?

Firefox does work with our WYSIWYG - just expand the window ( little box upper left side )

So you bought a new computer and now you have some issues - lets blame the host - WOW

Last edited by alex@pappashop.com; 2010-11-12 at 3:15pm.
Old 2010-11-12, 3:10pm
Pappashop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
I will add my complaints to the Pappashop complaint pile. 24/7 customer service? Hardly. I got the run around like you wouldn't believe last time the shopping cart was down for nearly 2 days. And they stop answering the phone at 5pm. Period. Weekends? Forget about it.
Help desk is available 24/7 - We never stated that we work around the clock -we have families also.
Sure we could hire a calling center to answer your calls 24/7 but you would not get the personal attention you do from getting answers from the people who are actually making sure everything is working correctly.

Also was this a Mals-e issue or pappashop?

Old 2010-11-12, 3:25pm
Pappashop.com

Default Why link to etsy from your website?

This is a question to everyone.

Why do you link to etsy from your website?

You have a potential customer on your website ( most likely ready to buy )
but you tell them hey go buy it from my etsy account.
why not sell it on your website save the fee's. You send them to etsy and give the the opportunity to buy from another seller.

Also you are actually telling them dont come here go to etsy.

My suggestions is - make them pay from your website so that you are promoting your website and giving yourself the opportunity for an up sell.

My 2 cents.

Old 2010-11-12, 9:54pm

Well, something I've been dying to say for years (probably going to get slammed here)... To me, all the pappashop sites look alike. You make unique beads and yet you have a website that looks like every other beadmaker's save for the "theme"?

I built my own in Dreamweaver with a free shopping cart from Mals-e. Granted, I know a lot of html... which anyone can learn. I took a few classes at a community college at night and built my first bead site as a class project.

I once hired a web designer for my elaborate shopping cart (on my rubber stamp site). I wrote down every thing I hated about shopping on line and had him design it. The one thing he taught me was GODADDY! They may appear "corporate" but let me share this: they have 24/7 customer service with live human beings in Arizona!!! They are nice and knowledgeable. I've talked to them on CHRISTMAS DAY!

You can use their website tonight program with a free shopping cart and create your own site... and make it as unique as you are!

OR if you are willing to do a little reading... the wordpress interface allows you build your own site using FREE widgets. It took me about a month to set up the site I have now but it was so worth it. It functions like a blog with each item a new "post." I got lots of help from the community forums there.

Alex is right about sending folks to Etsy. I HATE etsy for a million reasons. I'm there mainly relisting OLD designs but to keep my name "out there." My new stuff goes on MY site, then to Artfire, then to Etsy or Ebay. But the problem is how do you get them to your site in the first place??? That's what I use Etsy and AF and Ebay for... I always enclose my card to MY site and even have promos where they get a coupon back to MY site.

Sales are hard enough these days... your website shouldn't have you banging your head!

Old 2010-11-12, 10:42pm
Puddy Cat Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex@pappashop.com View Post
This is a question to everyone.

Why do you link to etsy from your website?

You have a potential customer on your website ( most likely ready to buy )
but you tell them hey go buy it from my etsy account.
why not sell it on your website save the fee's. You send them to etsy and give the the opportunity to buy from another seller.

Also you are actually telling them dont come here go to etsy.

My suggestions is - make them pay from your website so that you are promoting your website and giving yourself the opportunity for an up sell.

My 2 cents.
I've done google searches for my stuff and very seldom find my items that I have listed on my site using your hosting service. People cant find my site. Don't know why. Or I can't understand why. Etsy, Artfire, Ebay, are the only places that my items are actually seen/found when doing a google search. It will be a matter of time, but I'll be making some changes to meta tags or key words or web hosting service. I just don't have the time right now. Our Etsy/Artfire stores and our other websites are keeping us very busy right now.

Not trying to put any hosting service down, but this has been my experience.

J.

Old 2010-11-13, 8:37am

Cindy Craig || cindycraig 11/09/2010 11:17
I am trying to edit my index page and when I click on it the browser load the parts of the index page. The "content" box where we edit things just hangs up and never loads. Every time I come here to edit my website I have problems these days. It should not be this difficult to edit things.

----------------------------
IP Address: 76.255.20.129
Donald Potter || Staff 11/09/2010 11:22
If you can please let us know what kind of browser you are using

Internet Explorer?
Mozilla Firefox?

what kid of internet connection do you have? Dial up? Broadband? DSL? Mobile Internet?

- Donald

Pappashop Web Hosting
----------
Remember to check out our Knowledgebase!
http://www.pappashop.com/whmcs/knowledgebase.php
Cynthia Craig || Client 11/09/2010 11:29
I have DSL. I am not having any problems on any other website. I have had my index page open for over 20 minutes now trying to edit it and it is still "hung up". I have tried refreshing it and every thing else I know.
Cynthia Craig || Client 11/09/2010 11:30
Oh and I use Firefox
Donald Potter || Staff 11/09/2010 11:38
If you can try the following:

Clear your history of your Internet Browser:
Mozilla Firefox
1. Go to the "Tools" menu.
2. Select "Options" > "Privacy" > "Saved Form Information."
3. Click "Clear" and un-check the box.
4. Click "OK" to exit.

Safari
1. Go to the "Safari" menu and select "Preferences."
2. From the menus that pop up, select "Autofill."
3. Go to "Other forms" line and select the "Edit" button.
4. From the list of sites for which AutoFill is currently being applied, select "Google.com" > "Remove" > "Done."

Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to the "Tools" menu.
2. Select "Internet Options" and the "Content" tab.
3. Within the "Personal information" area, select "AutoComplete."
4. Click on "Clear Forms." You can also un-check the "Forms" box in this window to keep this information from being stored in the future.
5. Click "OK" to exit.

Then go clear the history from your DSL - by unplugging the power cord from your modem for 30-60 seconds and then reconnecting the power cord.
Then reboot your computer. then try again if you are having problems please let us know.

- Donald

Pappashop Web Hosting
----------
Cynthia Craig || Client 11/09/2010 11:40
I already did all those steps and it still will not load.
Donald Potter || Staff 11/09/2010 11:44
If you can please provide your Store Admin password so we can troubleshoot this for you

- Donald

Pappashop Web Hosting
----------
Cynthia Craig || Client 11/09/2010 11:56
you can try EDITED If that does not work I will reset it
Donald Potter || Staff 11/09/2010 12:00
That doesn't work, when you have successfully reset your password please let us know so we can troubleshoot this for you

- Donald

Pappashop Web Hosting
----------
Cynthia Craig || Client 11/09/2010 12:18
NWEW PASSWPRD
Donald Potter || Staff 11/09/2010 12:21
this could be a result of your browser trying to load your etsy feed.
I was able to load your index page and edit it as well.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

- Donald
Pappashop Web Hosting
----------
Cynthia Craig || Client 11/09/2010 12:23
That does not help me solve this problem.
Donald Potter || Staff 11/09/2010 12:26
All we can say is that we can load it by logging into your website,
I would try to attempt access your site from another computer or another internet provider.

- Donald

Pappashop Web Hosting
----------

So yes I will admit I was paraphrasing however that is exactly what I got from the conversation AND I still can not edit my website with the computer that uses Firefox. It is not the computer since I downloaded IE and tested it and I can edit it with the very very old computer that we are getting rid of. I do however refuse to use IE on this computer and removed the program after testing it.

The script by another company... well its Etsy mini, the same exact script that works on my facebook and my blog so, it is not the script. I will admit that that time over a month ago your company did help and get the script up on the page since using Firefox on this end I was unable to edit my pages. And in that scenario I was also basically told, and I am paraphrasing here as well "well it works on our end." No other help was forthcoming in trying to discover why it will not work on my end.

About Firefox.... nope no editing of my website... at all..... the pages that I try to edit just never load, ever. I will stick with my assessment that your customer service sucks. When I am told "it works for us" and left at that. Its passing the buck in my opinion.
Old 2010-11-13, 1:38pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly'sFolly View Post
Well, something I've been dying to say for years (probably going to get slammed here)... To me, all the pappashop sites look alike. You make unique beads and yet you have a website that looks like every other beadmaker's save for the "theme"?

I built my own in Dreamweaver with a free shopping cart from Mals-e. Granted, I know a lot of html... which anyone can learn. I took a few classes at a community college at night and built my first bead site as a class project.

I once hired a web designer for my elaborate shopping cart (on my rubber stamp site). I wrote down every thing I hated about shopping on line and had him design it. The one thing he taught me was GODADDY! They may appear "corporate" but let me share this: they have 24/7 customer service with live human beings in Arizona!!! They are nice and knowledgeable. I've talked to them on CHRISTMAS DAY!

You can use their website tonight program with a free shopping cart and create your own site... and make it as unique as you are!

OR if you are willing to do a little reading... the wordpress interface allows you build your own site using FREE widgets. It took me about a month to set up the site I have now but it was so worth it. It functions like a blog with each item a new "post." I got lots of help from the community forums there.

Alex is right about sending folks to Etsy. I HATE etsy for a million reasons. I'm there mainly relisting OLD designs but to keep my name "out there." My new stuff goes on MY site, then to Artfire, then to Etsy or Ebay. But the problem is how do you get them to your site in the first place??? That's what I use Etsy and AF and Ebay for... I always enclose my card to MY site and even have promos where they get a coupon back to MY site.

Sales are hard enough these days... your website shouldn't have you banging your head!

I make almost all my sales from my website, and use Artfire, eBay, etc to increase my visibility and woo new customers... but I also have links to those sites FROM my webpage, because I have a relationship with my clientele and I'm not going to conceal from them that I have other sales venues, especially when I'm using those other sales venues for clearance items. This is about maintaining transparency in customer service and client relations, to me. I am not going to put all my old sets up for 9.99 on eBay and then NOT have a link from my webpage so that my loyal customers who have been buying from me for years have no idea that opportunity is available! In addition, it's a wise marketing move, as their bids increase my visibility on other venues.

Last edited by Kalera; 2010-11-13 at 1:41pm.
Old 2010-11-13, 4:54pm
I'm a lilac!

Cynthia, perhaps I missed it, but can you make it work on other computers running Firefox?

Old 2010-11-13, 6:52pm

My sentiments EXACTLY. I use those other sites as clearance really and of course you want your regulars to know that. At the same time, I've found customers on those other sites who now shop MY site. It's symbiotic! Sure I wish I didn't HAVE to go sell on Etsy / AF / Ebay but all those beads have to go somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I make almost all my sales from my website, and use Artfire, eBay, etc to increase my visibility and woo new customers... but I also have links to those sites FROM my webpage, because I have a relationship with my clientele and I'm not going to conceal from them that I have other sales venues, especially when I'm using those other sales venues for clearance items. This is about maintaining transparency in customer service and client relations, to me. I am not going to put all my old sets up for 9.99 on eBay and then NOT have a link from my webpage so that my loyal customers who have been buying from me for years have no idea that opportunity is available! In addition, it's a wise marketing move, as their bids increase my visibility on other venues.

Old 2010-11-13, 6:55pm

J. Savina,

This is because of the powerful RSS feeds sent out by Etsy AF and Ebay that your website lacks.

My philosophy... I don't care HOW you find me...just find me!

This is why I fell multiple sales venues are a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Savina View Post
I've done google searches for my stuff and very seldom find my items that I have listed on my site using your hosting service. People cant find my site. Don't know why. Or I can't understand why. Etsy, Artfire, Ebay, are the only places that my items are actually seen/found when doing a google search. It will be a matter of time, but I'll be making some changes to meta tags or key words or web hosting service. I just don't have the time right now. Our Etsy/Artfire stores and our other websites are keeping us very busy right now.

J.

Old 2010-11-14, 12:57am
Bead maker and bead buyer

Just a quick note about Firefox -

there's another site where I have that problem occasionally, where Firefox won't load but IE will. That generally happens to me if a page is in the process of loading and I click on a link before it's completely done loading. It seems like if I try to navigate away from the page before it's done, it completely hangs the browser. And it only does it with a few particular sites - not every site.

That may not be your problem, but it was similar enough I thought I should mention it.
Old 2010-11-14, 7:39am

Kalera, Nope it does not work with Firefox on the other computer either. And it is only my pappashop site that I ever have this problem with.

Oh well. I admit that I am no computer guru but it just seems to me that if it won't work with firefox on either computer on my end that perhaps it is a compatibility issue with firefox and the wysiwyg editor.
Old 2010-11-14, 11:59pm
I'm a lilac!

Firefox compatibility does sound like it may be the issue, and that is definitely something they should want to fix. IMO.

Old 2010-11-15, 9:26am
Sombody's Mom

We are able to use Firefox with the wysiwyg editor on our end without problems at all. However, I do know that Safari doesn't work well with the editor.
Old 2010-11-15, 9:53am
Cats & Glass!

As an aside to this original topic of this thread, I'd like to suggest that anyone who has a website would be smart to register and manage their own domain name(s). You can control better what happens to it in so many ways.

Oh, I also discovered this weekend that GoDaddy hosting (while I love them for domain names) doesn't work well for content management (Joomla, Drupal, etc.) sites.

Janelle

Ebay -
Etsy -
Blog -
Old 2010-11-15, 10:37am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex@pappashop.com View Post
Help desk is available 24/7 - We never stated that we work around the clock -we have families also.
Sure we could hire a calling center to answer your calls 24/7 but you would not get the personal attention you do from getting answers from the people who are actually making sure everything is working correctly.

Also was this a Mals-e issue or pappashop?
The first problem was with Mals and the second was with your servers. These issues were within 6 months of each other and each took the cart down for around 2 days.
The Mals problem required me to find a workaround myself since one was not offered from your staff. Resolution would have been possible within an hour if your staff had just searched (like I had to) through the Mals forums. I didn't even know where to start but I figured it out pretty quickly after getting tired of waiting.

The problem with your servers was an 'upgrade' that took the server down, again for nearly 2 days, and I was given no realistic timeframe in which to expect it to be back up. Well, I was given timeframes the first day but all those promised up times came and went and I then called for a new estimates. Then I was given answers like "shortly" and "we're working on it". There are other things that irritated me about the situation but that's the basic gist of it.

The bottom line is I'm fairly unhappy with the up time of the shopping cart. The only reason I went with Pappashop is because of the cart so the 'mals isn't our problem' attitude I got with the outage was disappointing but I could kind of understand it. Kind of. The second server problem was just ridiculous. I understand that problems happen and I'm not an unreasonable person. I guess I'm just disappointed and frustrated.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-11-15, 12:58pm

Cindy,

Maybe, since Firefox is not a problem for the Pappashop folks, you guys could see which version everyone is using and maybe which add -ons???

I've had to downgrade in the past to access certain websites functionality.

Old 2010-11-15, 1:00pm

Janelle, So true! I ended up moving some of my content managed sites to Linux hosting at Godaddy and have not had any more issues... of course, NOW, I'm paying for TWO hosting accounts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelle Zorko View Post
As an aside to this original topic of this thread, I'd like to suggest that anyone who has a website would be smart to register and manage their own domain name(s). You can control better what happens to it in so many ways.

Oh, I also discovered this weekend that GoDaddy hosting (while I love them for domain names) doesn't work well for content management (Joomla, Drupal, etc.) sites.

Janelle

Old 2010-11-15, 9:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaychantell View Post
From the looks of things we spent quite a bit of time trying to help you. And we still are obviously or we wouldn't be answering even this forum thread about the issue. However, its hard to "fix" what we dont' see broken on our end. If it works for you on one computer but not another, how is that because of the our software? Seems common sense to say its a computer issue. Perhaps you have a setting on your computer that needs to be addressed by someone from browser support or computer support. This really is not a software issue since it does work on one of your computers and all of ours. Its the ONE computer you are having issues with correct?

Passing the buck? We cannot offer to give you computer support. We're not Dell, HP or any other computer dealer. We offer hosting support. Blaming the host for something on your personal computer not working? Does that even sound reasonable? You don't seem to be open to the fact that this could be some setting on your computer and not an issue with hosting. Even though your words do state just that.

Ok, enough family time spent here answering this forum (an example of support that sucks). Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Jocelyn
I have given pappa shop 2 chances to host my site and they failed both times, no one could find my site and I do mean the server went missing, but pappa shop could see everything just fine so to them there was no problem. It was not just my pc, or the other 6 in my shop and office, but many friends from a forum I run. I could not afford to waste any more time waiting for pappa shop to "see a problem" when my site was not coming up.

Yes the standard answer from pappa shop was "we see it, all is fine, it must be a problem on YOUR END?".

To prove my point I switched my site to another hosting company that used the very same software package Shoppe Pro. From almost the first day (once the dns setting change took) my site has been seen and if you do a google search for "vinyl wall art" my site is at the top of the first page! The only thing I have done is move the same items to Shoppe Pro and now everyone can "see the site", no problems at all.

I can understand your anger for folks saying your company does not give good customer service, but my father used to say "can everyone else be wrong and only I am right? Just from this thread you can see there are many who feel you have not given good support, can we all be wrong?

You can do what you will this info, but you might want to use it to find a way to improve your company or not. It really does not matter to me, I gave you 2 tries, I'm out and will NOT be back, but only you can save all the others that may leave if you service them as you did me.

2 cents more
Chuck