No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-04-22, 8:45pm

Default medea violet

http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12593
You told us what the made beads are but what about the spacers? What are those. I have to agree this set is stunning!!!!
I am also going to jump on the band wagon and say THANK YOU!!!!!!!! I have been lurking here, reading all posts (multiple times), I purchased the romance blend, and have been so inspired by this thread. I appreciate all that you have shared and are going to share.
Beth
Old 2011-04-22, 8:46pm
I'm a lilac!

You are so welcome, thank you!

The spacers are Bullseye special production color Serena's Blend II.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 2:26pm.
Old 2011-04-22, 9:05pm
Angel's Mom

Holy Pink Grapefruit! What glass are these made of? And what tool did you use? They rock!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pink-Petals-13-L...item1c1b258739
Old 2011-04-23, 9:11am
I'm a lilac!

The link doesn't want to work for some reason, but I bet you mean these!

I used two Bullseye colors: I am pretty sure they are Light Fuchsia and the special production color Hawaiian Punch (LOVE those Bullseye pinks!) and I used the inexpensive leaf masher from Frantz:

http://www.frantzartglass.com/index....oducts_id=4575

I have a free tutorial on using it here: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...asher+tutorial

Have fun!

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 2:27pm.
Old 2011-04-23, 9:58am
Angel's Mom

You're a doll Kalera! I hope good karma is coming back to you for all your kindness!
Old 2011-04-23, 10:21am
I'm a lilac!

Thank you so much!

Old 2011-04-23, 10:57am
Dianne Gleaton

Default Frits

I am new to this forum, where do you purchase your frits. I am unfamiliar with the number/letters use for identification.
Dianne
Old 2011-04-23, 12:20pm

Kalera,

Wow...your work is amazing...and thanks so much for sharing so many tips. I would love to know how you got so much gorgeous color & swirls with this one:

http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12682

Thanks!
Jen
Old 2011-04-23, 1:02pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Gleaton View Post
I am new to this forum, where do you purchase your frits. I am unfamiliar with the number/letters use for identification.
Dianne
I get most of mine here: http://www.glasscolor.com/

Old 2011-04-23, 1:03pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirando247 View Post
Kalera,

Wow...your work is amazing...and thanks so much for sharing so many tips. I would love to know how you got so much gorgeous color & swirls with this one:

http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=12682

Thanks!
Jen
Thank you!

With that one, I started with a small base bead of Multicolor Dark. I let it cool, then spot-heated it and twisted in four places around the equator with a cold stringer. I melted it smooth, and encased with Uroboros clear.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 2:29pm.
Old 2011-04-23, 6:10pm
frenetic crafter

Hey Kalera, I was looking at your leaf tutorial, and I have a question about the press that you use: do you think it would work for boro, or are the leaf plates too thin? It isn't really a technical question for you (sorry!) but it is a question, and you said to ask anything!
Old 2011-04-23, 11:02pm
I'm a lilac!

It definitely works with boro!

Old 2011-04-24, 10:55am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Kalera, I just received my sample pack of Bullseye. If you were just starting to use it, what colors would you try first? Are some easier to work?
Thanks.
Old 2011-04-24, 1:01pm
Ad astra per aspera

Kalera, you almost make me want to go back to BE again!

I've been watching this thread and enjoying your generosity and everyone's enthusiasm. For once, I have a question. You had a set up a week or so ago, and it reminded me of a puzzle all over again. Of course, now I can't find the set!

It's elongated dots, basically. I understand surface tension and all that good stuff, I just can't figure out the steps involved. I'll try to describe. LOL They are beads that are mostly round, with one layer of dots (or two) that have been placed close enough together, at least that's my guess, so that when they melt in they leave a thread of base color for separation, but streeetch out across the bead, from hole to hole. Then other dots are placed, but these dots stay round, so you have circles within ovals that are snug all around the bead. Make sense?

If it does (crossing fingers) how on earth do you make it happen? I know it can work with encasing, but the ones I've seen aren't encased, they're just layers of dots. I have a pic but I don't know the artist who made the bead and don't want to be rude and just post it.

Old 2011-04-25, 7:21am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittypat View Post
Kalera, I just received my sample pack of Bullseye. If you were just starting to use it, what colors would you try first? Are some easier to work?
Thanks.
Myself, I'd go for French Vanilla with silver foil and some transparent overlays! You should experiment with the colors that draw you the most.

Old 2011-04-25, 7:23am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post

I've been watching this thread and enjoying your generosity and everyone's enthusiasm. For once, I have a question. You had a set up a week or so ago, and it reminded me of a puzzle all over again. Of course, now I can't find the set!

It's elongated dots, basically. I understand surface tension and all that good stuff, I just can't figure out the steps involved. I'll try to describe. LOL They are beads that are mostly round, with one layer of dots (or two) that have been placed close enough together, at least that's my guess, so that when they melt in they leave a thread of base color for separation, but streeetch out across the bead, from hole to hole. Then other dots are placed, but these dots stay round, so you have circles within ovals that are snug all around the bead. Make sense?

If it does (crossing fingers) how on earth do you make it happen? I know it can work with encasing, but the ones I've seen aren't encased, they're just layers of dots. I have a pic but I don't know the artist who made the bead and don't want to be rude and just post it.
Unfortunately, I don't recognize those beads from the description... I imagine you could get an effect like that by placing the initial layer of dots on a disc, melting it to a round, then placing the second layer of dots.

Old 2011-04-25, 12:28pm

Maybe these are the beads Karen is asking about? They're lovely .. is that purple Z-99? http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=11975

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post

Old 2011-04-25, 12:40pm
I'm a lilac!

Hm, that could be them... those are a base of Uroboros Lilac with a black and white twistie and teeny dots of Reichenback Iris Violet melted in... the Iris Violet wants to spread and push, so you get that neat effect.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 2:36pm.
Old 2011-04-25, 6:46pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks for your answer, Kalera. I hope to try out my new glass tomorrow.
Old 2011-04-27, 3:24pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
2. For every hour you put into lampworking, you will need two hours to run your business and promote your work, so if you torch 20 hours a week you should expect to work 60 hours a week.
I'm just catching up on this awesome thread, thank you so much for your generosity of time and spirit.

I haven't started getting into the business end of this but I hope to after I get a kiln up and running, but your recommendation of 2:1 ratio surprises me.

What do you do for those 40 hours a week you're promoting your business? I see spending a few hours maintaining a website, taking pictures, and posting new beads for sale on Etsy, but what else do you do? Since I'm just working on color combinations and learning the glass and torch right now, I've done very little reading of the "how to promote yourself" variety.

Oh, and I guess I should add that if you've already answered this question for someone else and I just haven't gotten to that post yet, please just tell me and I'll read it when I get there.

Thank you!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-04-27, 4:50pm

Hi Kalera,
Thank you for all of your work with this great thread. I agree with your above statement. It might even be understated. Sometimes I feel like I spend much more than two hours for every hour on the torch.
My question is, where would you suggest for good pizza in Portland? I'm going to be moving to Portland in September or so. I'm really going to miss our local pizza place, Waterfront Pizza. I'm hoping to find a replacement, preferably in the north part of the city.
Also, are there any studios that you would recommend for teaching in Portland? Until I build a shop, I'm hoping that I'll be able to do some teaching someplace down there.

Thanks,

Michael Barley

Old 2011-04-28, 8:10am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyssa View Post
I'm just catching up on this awesome thread, thank you so much for your generosity of time and spirit.

I haven't started getting into the business end of this but I hope to after I get a kiln up and running, but your recommendation of 2:1 ratio surprises me.

What do you do for those 40 hours a week you're promoting your business? I see spending a few hours maintaining a website, taking pictures, and posting new beads for sale on Etsy, but what else do you do? Since I'm just working on color combinations and learning the glass and torch right now, I've done very little reading of the "how to promote yourself" variety.

Oh, and I guess I should add that if you've already answered this question for someone else and I just haven't gotten to that post yet, please just tell me and I'll read it when I get there.

Thank you!
It's not 40 hours of promotion, it's 40 hours of non-torch work and running the business end, including promotion... so, much of it is cleaning and stringing beads, ordering and managing supply inventory, taking pictures, doing website and auction listings, communicating with customers, and shipping. Promotion includes posting bead pics on forums and Facebook, updating your mailing list, updating web shops, Twitter, paid advertising, etc.

The 2:1 ratio isn't so much a recommendation as it is an inevitability.

Old 2011-04-28, 8:19am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
Hi Kalera,
Thank you for all of your work with this great thread. I agree with your above statement. It might even be understated. Sometimes I feel like I spend much more than two hours for every hour on the torch.
My question is, where would you suggest for good pizza in Portland? I'm going to be moving to Portland in September or so. I'm really going to miss our local pizza place, Waterfront Pizza. I'm hoping to find a replacement, preferably in the north part of the city.
Also, are there any studios that you would recommend for teaching in Portland? Until I build a shop, I'm hoping that I'll be able to do some teaching someplace down there.

Thanks,

Michael Barley

Oh my gosh, you're moving to Portland! Awesome!!

Aquila Art Glass is one place that I'm certain would LOVE to have you teach! Bullseye Glass has a teaching studio as well if you work with Bulleye at all? I think that Oregon College of Arts and Crafts might also have a lampwork program.

Food! OMG. There is so much good food here! Check out Old Town Pizza on MLK, I think it's my favorite! Mississippi Pizza on Mississippi across from the Rebuilding Center is also really good. I'm in inner NE... you're moving to North? What part? I have friends closer to St. John's who can give good food recommendations if you'll be out there. This part of town has TONS of great restaurants... Sweet Basil and Siam Club for Thai food, four or five good Ethiopian places, lots of sushi, Mexican, even a sausage joint. I'd be happy to help be your food guide!

Old 2011-04-28, 11:34am
The Harbinger of Cuteness

@Kalera, stop it, you're making me hungry!

~
~

#M-191
Old 2011-04-28, 11:48am
I'm a lilac!

Old 2011-04-28, 3:53pm
Melts glass~makes jewelry

I am so looking for the like button for this one! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
It's not 40 hours of promotion, it's 40 hours of non-torch work and running the business end, including promotion... so, much of it is cleaning and stringing beads, ordering and managing supply inventory, taking pictures, doing website and auction listings, communicating with customers, and shipping. Promotion includes posting bead pics on forums and Facebook, updating your mailing list, updating web shops, Twitter, paid advertising, etc.

The 2:1 ratio isn't so much a recommendation as it is an inevitability.

Old 2011-04-28, 4:07pm

I was wondering what your photographer setup is. Your pictures are great and I've got to get something decent set up.

Camera used? settings? photo editing?

I did see where you use a sheet of glass about 1/4 above the gray paper. Which shade paper works best for you?

If you cannot stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 2011-04-30, 8:51am

This whole thread makes me get out the BE and blow the dust off. When you make the beads with french vanilla, silver, and frit. I somehow misses if they are encased in clear.
Thankyou
Old 2011-04-30, 11:10pm

Hi Kalera,

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll have to get together for pizza after I move down. We'll be living up in St Johns near Pier Park.
I was wondering if I have to get a tattoo when I move to Portland.

Michael

Old 2011-05-01, 12:31am
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
Hi Kalera,

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll have to get together for pizza after I move down. We'll be living up in St Johns near Pier Park.
I was wondering if I have to get a tattoo when I move to Portland.

Michael
I'm pretty sure that only applies to Seattle.. but Kalera would know better!

Kalera.. I don't have a question (right now, anyway ;} but I did want to say that coins in photos have almost always bugged me but, for some reason, I just adore that wheat penny!!!

~Rachel