Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2013-02-01, 9:55pm
All Zeke, all the time

Default should I trust my torches gas valve?

I have a GTT Lynx and I am running propane from a tank stored outside a window in a spare bedroom. I have been connecting and disconnecting my gas hose for each torching session. Sometimes it just isn't convenient to go outside to hook up the gas; access to the backyard is only through our master bedroom. Going outside to change the gas setup will disturb my wife if I choose to torch at night.

Is it possible to leave the gas hooked up and the valve on the propane tank open and just control the gas flow from the torch gas valve? Or is the torch gas valve not designed to ensure propane will not leak into my home?

Thanks, Zeke
Old 2013-02-01, 10:40pm

Safety first.
You could always insert an inline valve before the torch and inside the room.

Old 2013-02-01, 10:50pm
Alaska Boro

Yes agree. And if one is to look at the installation for natural gas an inline shut off value is most likely located prior to the appliance connection. i.e. if using a gas stove that value is at the end of the black pipe and connects to the flex pipe that go to the appliance. Same for a gas water heater.

As stated above, it is for safety reason in case you torch valves should fail or if the hose should become damaged.

For your setup it is best to remove the hose from the torch and keep outside along with the tank. Code does allow for propane through the wall (10 psi or less) but in black pipe with appropriate values, etc. Check local building codes for exact community needs.
Old 2013-02-02, 5:25am

you don't have to connect and disconnect every torch day. just shut it off at the tank when your done like the rest of us lol.
Old 2013-02-02, 8:52am
Gentleman of Leisure

No its not safe to just trust torch valve, you should shut off gas as near the source as possible when not in use.... That means at the tank... IF doing anything like the disconnect procedure you describe disturbs your wife's sleep, you need to work out that problem.... But by disturbing the wife and she whines at you, it says you are not asphyxiated by your "gas"...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-02-02, 1:40pm
All Zeke, all the time

Thanks Dale and everyone else for your feedback. I felt that Dale's advice would be the safest but sometimes you just need to ask those with more experience. The wife doesn't whine, etc. I just don't torch after she goes to sleep. She works during the day and I am on long term disability so she needs her sleep, I can do my torch time during the day. There are just the nights I can't sleep and hitting the torch seems like a good idea. Guess it is time to have that sliding glass door in for another route to the backyard.

Thanks again
Old 2013-02-03, 8:55am
Gentleman of Leisure

Oops!... Didn't mean to say your wife is a whiner bit if the feed back you get from her isn't positive, you need to find a different solution....

You could have the propane piped in like other have suggested and it has to have a positive (gas approved) shut off valve where it enters room.... This mechanical valve plus valve on torch makes it a pretty safe situation and you would not have to disconnect anything...... BUT you have to be sure to use shutoff valve at "entrance" to be safe....

On some of those sleepless nights you may want to slip over to Art Glass Answers and read some in safety and studio sections and maybe the white papers.... Pretty much what ever I have commented on here is just a tiny bit on what I have written if AGA....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/index.php

Believe there is some comments on how to safely plumb gas into "studio"...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-02-03 at 9:00am.
Old 2013-02-03, 12:41pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

NEVER trust your torch not to leak.

I have a shop, its not set up in my home. I have a cut off valve at each torch station, which I use, and I ALWAYS shut the tank off when I am done and bleed the lines. I also have a main cut off for the whole building. if at all possible place that near and exit. that way if there is a fire, you can hit the cut off on the way OUT

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2013-02-03, 9:55pm
All Zeke, all the time

thanks Dale for the site. I look forward to checking it out. And I didn't take the whining comment negatively.

Patienthand - that would likely be a bit overkill for me but I do appreciate your info and you safety advice