Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2013-03-13, 10:02am

Location: 6 month in Ontario and 6 month in either Michigan or Florida
Smile my pics look so fuzzy- Please help??

I have a new camera and my pics have gotten worse, I am not camera shy just camera illiterate. Can someone give me an idea of what my help me in english and speak slowly(LOL).

Thanks for any and all comments

Micki

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-03-13, 10:28am

Could be from camera shake with low lighting. What kind of camera do you have..and what lens? Are you using a tripod?

Becky
Old 2013-03-13, 5:17pm

What kind of camera are you using? Also, what are your settings? How close are you holding the camera to the beads?

The picture is kinda small to tell much.

Old 2013-03-14, 3:13pm

is it autofocus, or manual?
Old 2013-03-29, 6:49am

Thanks for all your responses. I totally forgot about my post. First the camera is canon powershot sx160is. I am using a tripod in photo tent and I take my pictures on Auto about 8-10 inches away. The pictures are lit with the lamps that came with photo tent. Th setting for ISO is 400.

Thanks

Micki

Old 2013-03-29, 7:10pm

Do you use this camera in "macro mode"? If not it will help with focus when up close to the subject. On the large round button on the back there is a "tulip flower" type of symbol (on the left of the button between it and the LCD screen). You might try that to see if it helps.

Old 2013-04-03, 4:24pm
The Harbinger of Cuteness

Not an expert, but I took a class once.

Shouldn't the ISO be set as low as possible? With film, at least, ISO meant the speed of the film, so higher number was faster speed used for taking action and sport shots in bright lighting. IIRC the higher the ISO the grainier the pictures. Since you're taking pictures of still objects you can decrease your ISO and get better pictures, I would think.

And it would be great if you could show us a bigger picture, maybe as big as LE allows which is 600 pixels on the longest side.

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-04-17, 9:42am
Now part of the Dark Side

ISO 400 should give you adequate "film speed" however, you still need to keep shutter speed and aperture in mind. In general trying to hand hold anything below a 1/125th of a second is hard, you said you were using a tripod that's good, also you will wand to decrease the aperture size, increase the F number. At a minimum I'd shoot at F8 but I'd prefer F11 to F16. At higher F stops the depth of clear focus is larger, it is also larger the further you are from your subject.
Old 2013-04-21, 7:53am
DSDWC

Even using a tripod you should use a remote shutter control or the timer function. Even that little motion of pressing the button can cause the camera to shake.

Old 2013-04-21, 3:36pm

As Roy said you need to make sure your aperture is set to give you a good depth of field for your focus.
speaking of focus it looks to me like the back beads are what the camera has focused on so the entire front of the pic is out of focus, this is a bit hard to tell with the pic I see here but that is what it looks like to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
ISO 400 should give you adequate "film speed" however, you still need to keep shutter speed and aperture in mind. In general trying to hand hold anything below a 1/125th of a second is hard, you said you were using a tripod that's good, also you will wand to decrease the aperture size, increase the F number. At a minimum I'd shoot at F8 but I'd prefer F11 to F16. At higher F stops the depth of clear focus is larger, it is also larger the further you are from your subject.

#C-151
Old 2013-04-21, 8:38pm

The main problem is that the camera is set in auto mode. Who knows what aperture, speed, quality setting, focus point, etc., the camera thinks is the best to use. ISO 400 isn't a problem with newer cameras unless you are going to be making large blow ups, at least much bigger than what will be seen on a monitor screen.

It also looks like she forgot about the thread again since she hasn't posted since 3/29.

Mike
Old 2013-04-22, 6:51am
Gentleman of Leisure

Good picture editing software should be able interrogate picture data (of original) and give all the important data as shutter speed, aperture, asa and so on....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2013-04-22, 7:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jordan View Post
The main problem is that the camera is set in auto mode. Who knows what aperture, speed, quality setting, focus point, etc., the camera thinks is the best to use. ISO 400 isn't a problem with newer cameras unless you are going to be making large blow ups, at least much bigger than what will be seen on a monitor screen.

It also looks like she forgot about the thread again since she hasn't posted since 3/29.

Mike
Maybe someone needs to teach her how to use the "subscribe to thread" function of LE. :^)

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-04-22, 4:17pm

Dale, just right clicking and going to properties will show the data if it's there. Unfortunately, when she saved it the data on her image was stripped off so it doesn't give any info on the camera settings. If it had it, it would help all of us give better advice.

Either subscribe or just log on more often. She probably has a real life though... something that is so over rated.

Mike
Old 2013-04-22, 4:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jordan View Post
Dale, just right clicking and going to properties will show the data if it's there. Unfortunately, when she saved it the data on her image was stripped off so it doesn't give any info on the camera settings. If it had it, it would help all of us give better advice.

Either subscribe or just log on more often. She probably has a real life though... something that is so over rated.

Mike
Real life? What's that?

~
~

#M-191
Old 2013-04-24, 5:44pm

Sorry about not being in here too often, my sales are through the roof and I just got a wholesaler that wants to sign me on for bhb's. I am kind of muddle on if I will be able to handle such a large order but I have quite a bit of thinking to do.

When it comes to the pictures, I did change from auto to manual and it helped a bit, I will lower my ISO I was trying the 800 ISO. When it comes to the Fstop, how do you increase that? The aperature must be opening of lens focus? how do you change that?

Thanks guys for all your help

Micki

Old 2013-04-24, 7:12pm

Micki, I can't think of very many better reason to not have time to spend time on here. Congratulations.

Mike
Old 2013-04-26, 3:17pm

Thanks its kind of overwhelming. But very exciting at the same time.

Micki