LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2016-05-05, 8:44am
Corgi Cult Member

Default Smith Little Torch settings

Normally I run my Smith Little Torch on household NG and a 5 lpm concentrator. It doesn't provide the optimum flame, but the trade off is the convenience. Next week I will use it for a demo at the art center. I will still use the oxycon, but will hook it up to propane. What is a good level to set the regulator? I'll tinker with it once running, but would like to have it in the ballpark from the start. The last time I used the regulator I ran a Betta. Will the pressure be similar?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-05-05, 1:23pm
ManBearPig

It's a premix so it's not very sensitive to changes in regulator pressure. I run mine on a Y connector that also feeds my torch. My propane is at 5 pounds. It runs just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-05-05, 7:32pm
Corgi Cult Member

Thanks Cosmo, I think that is where I have it set for the Betta. I only use it when doing demos away from home, so I always worry I'll set it wrong. Since the tank and regulator are outside of the store and the torch is inside, I hate to make the group wait while I tinker with adjustments.

Do you use yours as a hand torch for boro?

Old 2016-06-01, 1:24pm
ManBearPig

Sorry. Missed this thread...

Yes, I use it as a hand torch, and I've started using to fume with. Fuming on a GTT is tricky, but on a premix I can do it with my eyes closed. Almost.

Old 2016-06-01, 8:19pm
Corgi Cult Member

Thanks Cosmo, your recommendation of 5 worked great! While my 5 lpm oxycon was at the shop I ran it on a M-15 at home. Boy what a difference! The flame was much more consistent. I still had to run it on the smaller one for the demo, but plan to keep using the M-15 and NG at home. Admittedly I think it ran better on the propane at the demo, but NG is so convienent.

Interesting idea to use it for fuming, may have to give that a try. Do you use a larger tip when working glass?

Old 2016-06-02, 6:53am
ManBearPig

Yeah. I use the #7 tip all the time. I never change it unless I'm doing something other than glass.

Old 2016-06-02, 7:39am
Corgi Cult Member

Thanks.

Old 2017-04-25, 6:01pm

Hi, I'm purchasing the Smith Little Torch and I'd like to hook it up to my Bravo lines with a Y. Should the Y, with shut offs, be placed closer to the gas and O2 sources or can they be closer to the Bravo.

Does it matter?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Kathy

Old 2017-04-25, 10:53pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunset View Post
Hi, I'm purchasing the Smith Little Torch and I'd like to hook it up to my Bravo lines with a Y. Should the Y, with shut offs, be placed closer to the gas and O2 sources or can they be closer to the Bravo.

Does it matter?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Kathy
Mine are Y'd at the oxycon and the wall for the NG. Sorry, I don't know if it makes a difference, that was just the way that made the most sense in my system. The Y valve is a bit heavy so I felt like it needed to be positioned where it would be supported, and in my setup that was at each source.

Old 2017-04-26, 7:04am

Thanks Kathy, I had not thought of the weight. I was really thinking of which way would be easiest to reach, but that's certainly a consideration. I may have to do some finagling under my bench!

Thanks for your comment!
Kathy