Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-07, 9:11am
My opinion not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Seems like this is a religion.....Really good glassworkers could run circles around me with a BIC lighter. No doubt there are ways to work around any handicap given enough time and ingenuity. Does that mean we are doing beginners justice by suggesting they learn to work glass with a 99 cent lighter? I think not. The hothead is only slightly better. Again, this is an entry level torch that MOST will outgrow.

I really cant believe I am continuing to argue this point. Opinions were asked for by the OP and I gave him mine. I don't define my self worth and esteem based on what type of torch I use but I am shocked by folks here who do.
Many do outgrow it but using a hothead is not a "handicap". Just because you don't like it is no need to slam them. Seems to me you are a "torch snob". Wow.... comparing the hothead to a 99 cent lighter.
OK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-07, 9:14am
My opinion not needed

Quote:
We all have opinions. Mine is an honest one. Rather than thread crapping here if you wish to discuss this further please PM me.
Quote:
Take it to the bathroom where this belongs. Isnt that where you folks usually attack each other personally? Folks in these boards are looking for honest opinions not drama.
Correct ... most of us are not looking for drama. Please quit stirring the pot. The only rude and insulting comments in this thread are from you. You are the one trying to start fights.

Old 2011-10-10, 5:30pm
Glass-aholic

I worked on a HH for more than 10 years. Best torch ever!! I did work with bulk tanks, would never go back to the little bottles!!! That was a HUGE difference in "loving" my torch I use a minor now (because it melts faster, and is quiet, and i like the oxy imput), but I hook up the HH for things I just can not do in the minor! really... it is a lovely flame.

If you think about it, adding oxy to a flame would really be the handicap to adjust to.... a single fuel flame is a "true flame" Adding oxy is like a mutant that just grew another arm and has to learn how to use it!!!! (its just not natural!!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
Not everyone "out grows" a Hot Head. It's an extremely versatile torch. You realize, of course, that Holly Cooper, and Amber Van Meter, both still work on a Hot Head? I think Gelly does too.

Holly:

http://www.hollycooper.com/AvailableWork

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2011-10-10 at 5:35pm.
Old 2011-10-10, 7:50pm

Harry,

Welcome to LE. As an answer to your question, I'm going to say LarryC is right about flame chemistry as to why you're getting smutty colors.

I'm also going to back those who said get rid of the fireworks torch- it won't last long. A hot head is a much better STARTER torch that SOME USE FOREVER and SOME OUTGROW. Both schools of thought are correct for each person as it addresses THEM. What will work for you only time will tell.

Before you go spend too much money on a torch, research costs of ventilation (health issues) and annealing kilns. The hot head is an inexpensive option that will be better than the fireworks until you decide if you want to spend the money to get into glass properly-- and by that I mean safely, not which torch is best. You only get one set of eyes- protect them. You only get one set of lungs- protect them. It's common sense but you would be surprised at what we hear of people doing. Heck, I started out in a basement on a hot head and 1 pound canister of MAPP gas and NO ventillation. I lived and I learned. You will as well.

Further, I'm going to say that if you stick around LE long enough, you'll find we're a pretty great cyber-family and sometimes family members have disfunctional moments. Don't let any concerns here dull your spirits for the art of lampworking or the wonderful world of LE.

I don't really get into too much controversy here where posts stay forever (unless they get to snarly and Corri has to do something about it). As you explore LE, you will find we're set up rather like rooms in a house. The Bathroom is a daily topical thread where everything gets deleted (aka flushed) at midnight. It's a great place to vent when a person needs to as it doesn't live forever. This is the room Larry suggested folks switch some of the comments on. I also agree with him on that as you asked questions and some of the comments, in my opinion, have not been productive in answering your questions.

There is a "search" feature on LE. If you click on SEARCH at the top right of your screen, a drop down appears and you can type in your topic of interest. If it's only 4 or less letters long, you use an asteric as a wild card such as "air* conditioner" if you were trying to find out if an AC was adequate make up air in a ventilation system-- which it is NOT, by the way.

I hope you stick around for a while.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-10-11, 9:38pm
I speak Murrini!

Sue...you've given me yet another reason to love you! I don't think anyone meant anything negative with their posts, we are all just of different opinions and I for one bear no hard feelings toward anyone who shoots straight, if you know what I mean!

Harry, can't wait to see an update from you!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-10-12, 7:04am

I got my hothead in the mail the other day and went to try it out. The grey smudges are gone so the problem must have been torch-induced. Thanks for all the info guys. I'm posting the first two beads I made with the hothead.

Harry

Old 2011-10-12, 7:27am

Congrats. I'm glad you were able to get a clean yellow. The same thing can happen on any torch, so give yourself the grace to survive the learning curve.
Good luck as you move forward.
Joan
Old 2011-10-12, 7:28am
Rose colored glasses…√

Congrats!! No smut!!

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2011-10-12, 7:36am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

HOOORAY!!!!! Looks GREAT!!

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-10-12, 8:16am

Nice. Fodder for the new annealer as well.
Old 2011-10-12, 8:51am

oh yeah, there will be annealing tomorrow
Old 2011-10-12, 12:38pm

WOW Harry great beads! You should have seen my first ones. Wish they looked as good as yours. And no "smut"!

LynieG
Old 2011-10-12, 3:56pm

I can't show you my first ones cuz they ALL suicided. Yep, damn quitters. Really couldn't have been me. I musta got some really weak glass.... um, yeah, really.

Congrats on yours, Harry, and welcome to our wonderful glassy world. It's a great place to be.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-10-13, 2:04am
one day at a time

Great colors with your HH! Stay on that torch for as long as possible because there is so much to learn and you have the perfect torch to do it with.