No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-05, 3:56am
shirts

Default removing a cabochon

Hello folks with all kinds of tips and support!

I decided to make a couple of cabochons the other day - I have been SO excited trying that out!! Now I am stuck with 2 (not so great) cabs that are kind of stuck... I am not thrilled with the bead release (just using whatever I got from the person who sold me her lampworking studio) and have battled with getting beads off. Now I wonder if there are any tricks to get off the cabs... Prying with a butter knife (after a loooooong hot soak)? Screwdriver? I am not overly attached to either of these cabs (I used turquoise which was a mistake cause I am not that good with glass to remember that I had to be careful that it might get some grey patches so they are "factory seconds" - though I am hardly a factory!!).

Any thoughts would be great, as I would rather not end up with 2 expensive practice cabs (cause I have lost the mandrels!).

Thanks,
Annie.
Old 2012-08-05, 4:29am
Loving learning

If worst comes to worst, you can heat the glass and shock it off by dropping the hot glass on the mandrel in water. At least, that's what I would do on a normal mandrel, and would guess it would work the same? I've never seen a cab mandrel.

I would heat them in the kiln first next time you turn it on, then slowly move them into the flame to get them nice & glowing before quenching in the water bath.
Old 2012-08-05, 4:31am

I prise mine off with a butter knife if the bead release is holding strong. So far I haven't lost a cab or damaged the cab mandrel.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You can't shine if you don't burn
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-05, 4:33am

two things. The gray smudge can be removed with a bit of a soak in toilet bowl cleaner.
(Not too long or it will etch.)
As far as removing the cabs goes, a good soak with a small splash of fabric softener in the water is first. Then a thin knife blade should slip under the edge and pop the cab off.
If the glass went over the edge of the mandrel, you may have no choice but to reheat it up and dunk in water to remove the glass from the mandrel.
Good luck.
Joan
Old 2012-08-05, 7:56am
shirts

Thanks for the tips - good to know I didn't have to be too gentle! I pried it off with a butter knife and didn't damage anything!!
Annie.
Old 2012-08-05, 2:40pm
Making doo-lollies

I removed a bead that was stuck well onto a large hole mandrel by putting it into the freezer for about an hour. It came off with a strong twist after that.
HTH!

Old 2012-08-05, 3:46pm
I speak Murrini!

Well, if it comes down to the "re-heat and plunge into water" method, please be sure to hold the glass cab AWAY FROM YOU when you first introduce it into the flame to get it hot!

I make murrini and I figure my flat steel punties are very similar to your cab mandrels, right? Well, I ALWAYS point them away from me when I first introduce them in to the flame because if there's a little glass left on 'em from the last usage and it heats, it tends to fly/shock off the metal and there's nothing like flaming hot flying glass in your face to get one's attention! With a larger cab, of course, the danger is multiplied...

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro